5.0 out of 5 stars Stand-out performances!
Published on 27 April 2011 by Colin R. Holmes

3.0 out of 5 stars Present
Purchased as a present - the person I bought it for really liked it. I have nothing more to say.
Published 6 months ago by Dr. David Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand-out performances!, 27 April 2011
Colin R. Holmes (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
A truly wonderful album with " hair rising on the back of your neck" tracks.Commercial classical pop at it's very best. I especially commend one track I WON'T LET YOU WALK THIS ROAD ALONE because I have an easy listening show on Radio Tudnofm and this song has been constantly requested since I inadvertantly played it by mistake. NOW..even I think this track should have been released as a single. You've missed a trick here Rhydian...requests still keep coming in.Buy the album!!

5.0 out of 5 stars O Fortuna, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
Absolutely loved this album. Fabulous choice of songs. I play it every time I go out in the car and have also downloaded it onto my computer You can tell Rhydian had more input in this album, he knows what suits his voice better than anyone else. Well done Rhydian.
I also purchased one for my daughter, and she loved it also, and for the same reasons.

My daughter and I saw him in concert in Cardiff last year........wow, he was absolutely fabulous... brought tears to our eyes. An incredible guy with an incredible voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars RHYDIAN'S ALBUM, 13 Jan 2010
Mrs. Me Ormerod (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
NEW ALBUM O FORTUNA FABULOUS.WAS EXACTLY AS EXPECTED FROM RHYDIAN.HAVE ENJOYED ALL HIS MUSIC TO DATE.MAY HIS SUCCESS CONTINUE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than his debut, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
This album is more classical than his first but truly wonderful. Every track is beautifully sung and Rhydian's voice is rich and compelling. He certainly more than holds his own in the duets with Bryn and Dame Kiri and he touches heart and soul with Ave Verum. Anthem and O Fortuna are powerful vehicles for his talent. The show stealer for me is I Won't Let You Walk This Road Alone, a lovely, touching new song. If his first album was his graduation, in this we hear the man, in his element.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhydian, 1 Feb 2010
Michael Taylor "MCT" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
An excellent album, but a bit dissapointed that some tracks were not in English as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhydian IS TALENT, 18 Jan 2010
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
EXCELLENT cd - good variety and content,choir a little overbearing, some printing errors on wording for Myfanwy, otherwise recommended for purchase, also good price.

BONT

5.0 out of 5 stars O fortuna, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
Absolutely fab. As an oldie who didn't watch him winning programme I was amazed to suddenly hear him singing The Anthem on TV. I had to buy the recording & am pleased with it, especially as I am Welsh.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rhydian - O Fortuna, 25 Dec 2009
Burton Seajay (Branston, Staffs UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
The second CD from that most unusual of artiste, this not one for the fainthearted. Strongly opera influenced, and with Rhydian duetting with Kiri Ti Kanawa on "Benedictus", and Bryn Terfel on "Myfanwi", this is a powerhouse of a performance on a heavyweight CD collection.
Rhydian, (or his management!) have shown that he is not afraid to do something different, and in all it is an entertaining CD within its own genre of strong operatic style numbers. If you were expecting something along the lines of 'Rhydian performs Meat Loaf' as his second CD offering, then you will be disappointed, (though such a CD would be welcome !).
Theree are certainly no weak performances on this, and I found it fascinating listening; his rendering of "Land of My Fathers" is my personal favourite.
So, if you are feeling a little jaded with Cheryl or Lady Gaga, give this a whirl - it's different enough to be surprisingly enjoyable

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Nov 2009
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
I am adding this as my husband has now listened this is his review

Being a music critic, albeit a quiet one at the moment, I was asked to review the latest Rhydian CD `O Fortuna'. I have no agenda; no axe to grind; and hopefully an objective view of that which I hear, so I invite you to read on.....

Once in a while, along comes a voice which, like it or hate it, you cannot ignore. Take Rhydian Roberts for example. His rise to fame via the X factor showed him in many lights and defied anyone to categorise what he did.
After a highly successful first CD there was a clue to the nature of the beast-a selection of thought provoking songs but definitely aimed at the mainstream marketplace. And yet the depths and messages of those offerings were telling; a reflection of someone with definite views on life and religion, and on someone who was not inclined to change those views to soar in the ratings and make his fortune. Not the easiest way to make your mark in the recording studio.
The latest CD `O Fortuna' both confuses and confirms what we thought we knew. With tracks ranging from Annie's Song to Ave Verum Corpus, the content is certainly not aimed at the traditional classical or popular markets and once again from the conventional viewpoint there appears to be little logic in this assemblage of material. Yet convention may not apply and we must look a little closer if we are to unravel the puzzle that is Rhydian. Notice the involvement of such notables as Dame Kiri te Kanawa, Bryn Terfel and Karl Jenkins and it becomes evident that this only happens because of the rare quality of the voice. People want to work with someone whose innate musicality is in tune with their own.
Forget the laws of reason and listen to the music. The voice has hints of Mario Lanza and the undoubted sincerity and quality of the singing may well win over those who initially decided that he was not for them or for their record company. This is music from the heart, and every track hits home .Confused we may be on repertoire, but confirmed once again is that inner viewpoint on life.
Make no mistake, every note, the musical arrangements and the backing shout out that this is a quality production with no corners cut. Even on traditional offerings such as `Land of my Fathers' and `Myfanwy' the emotional depth is involving and if you doubt this,try `Anthem' from the ill starred musical `Chess'. The final moments of this may well bring the odd shiver down the spine.
So, who will buy this? Looking at the fan base I suspect that those from 30 to 60 are the most likely, but Rhydian seems to have the ability to cross conventional guidelines and might well make it on Classic FM so I shall watch its progress with more than a little interest. And as for the X factor faithful, we shall have to see.
So is there anything I don't really like? Perhaps so-the cover photo reminds me of two things, the first of which is a memory of Nigel Kennedy's attempt to look trendy, and the second? A fleeting glimpse of Bart Simpson! Ah well, nothing in life is perfect!

This is a summary of my thoughts having listened to the album, I have seen and heard Rhydian live and there is one track where I preferred his live performance, his solo of Benedictus at the Karl Jenkins concert Nov14th this year was unforgettable, but for those who have not heard it [and those who have], enjoy the lovely track with Dame Kiri.

A beautiful, polished, classy album, not yet perfect as I am sure Rhydian would agree, but one to be proud of and will become a standard. Who is it aimed at? That is the conundrum - forget any one type of audience, anyone who appreciates good music will enjoy this - for years to come, it is not an album to play in the background, it is one to sit down to and open your ears and heart and let it sink deep down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Album, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: O Fortuna (Audio CD)
I am not an everyday lover of the classical music. I bought this album only because I've been still listening daily to Rhydian's first CD which has made me the life long follower or admirer of Rhydian's outstanding vocal talent.
His second album is very different from the first one, if there was no name of the artist on the cover I would have pass it without a second look, because as I said before I'd never bought any classical album.But I gave it a try and with no hesitation I can say that his 'O Fortuna' has raised over the first album with such the professional quality, vocal beauty and the spiritual power that listening to it has left me wishing for more albums like this from Rhydian.
I am not musically educated and I just can't understand how he is able to transform his baritone, beautifully warm tone of his voice in to the high tenor in the same song? He is the first class vocal magician for me. Outstanding!
Benedictus has made me cry,the voices of Dame Kiri and Rhydian have created the timeless song of Karl Jenkins into the most soul touching song I've ever heard, Rhydian has in O Fortuna transported himself and has taken me with him into the mystical times and his interpretation of this classical cantata is of the highest artistic power. What a voice! All the famous featured guests at his album, Dame Kiri Ti Kanawa, Bryn Terfel,Royal Harpist Caitrin Finch have together with Rhydian and the producer Karl Jenkins offered us with this album something to enjoy and treasure to the end of our lives.
Every single song on his second album is a master class, the brilliant production of Karl Jenkins has lifted this album in to the spheres of the precious jewels of the classical music.
This album is a MUST for all those who want from the music more than just the superficial pleasure.

O Fortuna