on 3 August 2013
Now the Anton Newcombe probably doesn't have an original bone in his body, nearly every song he records sounds like a complete rip off of other bands but I guess after 7 years as a band and as many albums you can be expecting less inspiration more recycling old music to make new (my opinion) HOWEVER...

>It sounds freaking good, who cares whether they're ripping off bands or not when they can churn out tunes like going to hell or Nothing to lose.
They also have a gift of extremely catchy songs and repetitive lyrics.

>Spun and Love are perfect examples you'll be singing the choruses in no time.

> More key tracks include the alternative take of Dawn (originally from Methodrone), Maybe Tomorrow and Lantern.

> However a few negative moments occur, Jennifer is rather dull and Got My Eye on You is basically the slowed down guitar of Not if you were the last Dandy with some pretty poor lyrics and vocal work.

>There are an array of instruments that are played superbly, prime example is the catchiest harmonica piece since Bob Dylan's the times they're a changin' in the song Wasting Away. Despite the amount of instruments you can still hear Joel's tambourine throughout and surprisingly even though the recording was incredibly cheap and rough the instruments avoid clashing to much. Great guitar riffs and finger picking.

>The Vocals are good as well, The lead singers have 3 vocal modes, sneer, drone and British. Yet despite this using a whole bunch of vocal harmonies, it actually sounds good, Anton and Matt know what voice will suit the song and the singing in the choruses are what really stands out.

Overall 8/10 if only they had marketed their music they could have been the next Beatles and the music industry wouldn't be so awful. Well I guess immediate gratification can be a bummer in the long term.
You'll love this if you like any 60s music, literally any 60s music it's hard to believe this was released in 1998.
Man, where do I start. For the last month, all I seem to have done is listen to this band. Their old stuff. Their new stuff. It's getting out of hand. It's all great.

This album is really stunning and very accessible, perhaps more so than some of their other 90s albums. That being said, it is a masterpiece. When I'm listening to it, I look forward to listening to it again. When I'm not listening to it, it's cos I'm listening to one of their other albums. Bombs away baby, bombs away.
on 7 March 2015
I've loved this band for a long time and seen them live in London a couple of years ago - but somehow missed this CD. And as others have said, it's probably the best produced of the lot and got some real gems on it ... Jennifer, Going to Hell ....

It's just amazing how few people know of this band - only ever met one other friend who'd heard of them (and loved them). Amazing.
on 24 October 2013
This a solidly consistent album with all the songs being pretty damn good. Due to the uniformity of quality few tracks jump out as killers - intially a disappointment - but after a few listens it reveals itself to be one of the best. Typical BJM beautiful melancolic 60's vibe. Love it!
on 5 February 2011
It starts well and it ends well and it has a few moments in between but, on the whole, it's not a patch on 'Bravery, Repitition and Noise'.
I won't bore you with a rambling dissection of each track. The stand out tracks for me are the opener 'Going To Hell' and the excellent final track 'Wisdom'.
There were moments in between that reminded me of Dylan, Charlatans and (not surprisingly) The Dandy Warhols but I was left feeling slightly disappointed.
Still, not enough to be put off and I will be continuing to check out further BJM albums.BRAVERY REPETITION&NOISE