5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first!
Published on 8 April 2010 by L. Cotton

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but ........
This album suffers from the same problems as Leona's first LP. There's too many fillers, too many Americanised big ballad wannabes, none of the foot-stomping choruses or emotional vocals if Aklexandra Burke's brilliant debut album.

Published 16 months ago by JB

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first!, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
I loved Leona's debut album, Spirit, so went out and bought this one immediatly. And I have to say, I was impressed. So much so, I will even go to say it is a million times better than her first! Leona's definitely developed more as an artist in this album, taking more risks with her song choices, and even her voice has definitely matured as well. She had a lot more imput in the making of this album, co-writing the majority of the songs, which is nice to see. If I had one complaint, it would be that she needs a few more up tempo songs, she had Forgive Me on her last album and Outta my Head on this one; and she's pretty good at them! Hopefully next time she'll include more of a range.
1. Happy: 9/10 - Definitely the right choice for the lead single; catchy with clever lyrics
2. I Got You: 7/10 - Loved it the first few times, but can get slightly boring after a while. If I'm honest, not the best choice for a follow up single; there's far better on the album
3. Can't Breathe: 7/10 - Catchy but slightly repetitive.
4. Brave: 10/10 - Very clever lyrics, nice idea for a song. Definitely one of the best on the album
5. Outta My Head: 10/10 - Catchy, up beat song. Love it!
6. My Hands: 10/10 - My personal favourite. Brilliant lyrics, different and catchy. You'll be singing along in no time!
7. Love Letter: 8/10 - Good song, good lyrics.
8. Broken: 10/10 - Very dramatic with good heartfelt lyrics. Brilliant and one of the best!
9. Naked: 10/10 - Lovely song, again, very dramatic
10. Stop Crying Your Heart Out: 7/10 - A bit boring at first, but gets better at the end. Better than the original
11. Don't Let Me Down: 6/10 - My least favourite track. Still good, but quite slow with not much dramatic impact. A bit boring
12. Alive: 8/10 - Very dramatic with lovely lyrics
13. Lost and Found: 9/10 - Lovely song with soft vocals...keep listening for a bonus track!

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you!, 1 May 2010
Mrs. S. Fisher "Sarah Fish" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
When I first heard the CD I was a bit disappointed as I had immediately loved Spirit but found myself flicking through tracks of this. However after a few times have found that it really grew on me, I like the variety and Leona's voice just seems to get better and better. I particularly love Happy, Broken and Naked. Only track I cant stand is Outta my head, reminiscent of a Stock, Aitken and Waterman 'classic'!

5.0 out of 5 stars She Got Me!, 18 Feb. 2010
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
This second offering from Leona Lewis not only builds on the brilliance her first album, but actually manages to surpass it. I have been a big fan from her time on the X Factor, and immediately fell in love with the Spirit album, but was the first to admit that it had some weaknesses. Of course there were many moments of genius, but it also had its moments where it slipped into the bland. In contrast while I prefer some of the songs on Echo to others, as a whole entity, it is quite simply never ever dull.

1.Happy-The fantastic lead single, which, although doesn't pack the same punch as 'Bleeding Love', is a worthy follow-up. 9/10
2.I Got You-This is one of my favourite tracks and one which I play on repeat. It's low-pitched verses contrasted with the wonderful chorus makes for a fantastic listen. 10/10
3.Can't Breathe-I have heard this track called 'an exercise in vocal histrionics'. This, in my view, is rubbish. Just because Leona uses the full extent of her range here does not mean the merits of it as a song should be overlooked. A song with complex beats and melodies and is a real album highlight. 10/10
4.Brave-An eastern-tinged ballad and one which should definitely be a single. The vocals on this are much more subtle and they work fantastically well! 10/10
5.Outta My Head-The contraversial upbeat moment, which has divided opinion. It works well in my view, no it isn't the best track on here, but at the same time an album full of ballads would be plain dull. I wholeheartedly support its inclusion. 8/10
6.My Hands-A track with a fantastically dramatic chorus. It is a grower, as at first I found it bland. 8/10
7.Love Letter-For me this is one of the weaker moments on the album. It's upbeat tempo and throwaway melody really don't make for a memorable experience for the listener. 6/10
8.Broken-Back to her brilliant best here. The climax of this song is just incredible and the emotional punch packed here is phenomenal. 10/10
9.Naked-This is the second song on here which I find very forgettable. It's lyrics are somewhat banal. 6/10
10.Stop Crying Your Heart Out-Should she have included this on here? Yes-it's not as good as 'Run', but there should be no need for a comparison. It builds up to a fantastic crescendo. 9/10
11.Don't Let Me Down-A GREAT ballad, Justin Timberlake's vocals compliment Leona's very nicely and this is another great moment on the album. 10/10
12.Alive-A nice penultimate track, but not the best. 7.5/10
13.Lost and Found- One Republic's contribution is welcome here, but this isn't the strongest track melodically. 7/10
BONUS-Stone Hearts and Hand Grenades-What a title!! And such a beautiful, simple melody and vocal! 9/10

BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Echo (MP3 Download)
Echo is not perfect. Few records are. Having said that, there are more than a couple of songs on this album which DO embody perfection. I doubt anyone will match the sheer power, skill and intensity which Leona showcases here, for at least a couple hundred years, so don't miss out. The following are worth a listen:

My Hands - it's difficult not to tremble in awe of the depth to this song. Leona can't mend her heart as hard as she tries. She's powerless.

Broken - it's ironic. The pain is there, with each phrase literally falling in tone, but the vocal builds and builds unbearably (truly a vocal feat); it's almost suffocating.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out - Stop! Just stop it! There's no room for music elitism here! Lewis' voice soars with majesty and a goddess-like authority in this song.

Alive - The haunting piano will have you hooked and the rest will follow.

Stone hearts (hidden track) - It's got everything: light, shade and a spectacular explosion.

Happy - lyrically, the most profound song you will encounter. I assure you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love every song on this album, 10 Jan. 2010
Ms. A. Scott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
I waited all year for this album to come out and it has not dissapointed me! I have always been a Leona fan, ever since she first appeared on X-Factor so always get very excited whenever she brings out something new. This album is even better than her first one in that it is more mature, the songs are more varied and really use her vocal range to full effect. I have been listening to it in my car non-stop since I got it and it is easy to loose yourself in many of the songs as they are so atmospheric. They are all very 'Leona-y' in that they are mainly big songs with lots of high notes but if you like that sort of thing they will be just right for you. It is hard to pick favourites as I love them all but I particularly love 'Happy,' 'Can't breathe,' 'Brave,' 'Love letter,' 'My hands' (tries not to write all of them!), 'Don't let me down,' 'Lost then found' and finally 'Alive' which is just amazing.

A must for Leona Lewis fans and hopefully other people will like it aswell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best So Far, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
I received this in 2009 when it was first released and I think it speaks volumes how I still love it as much as I did back then. Due to how impressive Spirit was, Echo tends to get a bad time from some Leona fans, but I have to disagree... this album is far stronger than Spirit.

Happy - 8/10
Don't Let Me Down - 6/10
Alive - 9/10
Lost And Found - 8/10
Stone Hearts And Hand Grenades - 9/10

The highlights for me are I Got You, My Hands and Naked. The only one I'm not overly keen on has to be Don't Let Me Down. Beautifully written, strong vocals, powerful ballads - just an all round success.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW!! Such a GREAT effort, 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
This album is just whoa!!

Definitely better than Spirit (which was absolutely fantastic). Leona takes the tempo up and she's so, SO good at it.

Happy: It's no Bleeding Love, but its also a melodramatic ballad that will do the job nicely. The album had much better single choices but Happy represents the album nicely

I Got You: Such a strong song. Not sure if its filed under downtempo or midtempo though. Its mostly midtempo. Perfect vocals, perfect song

Can't Breathe: I think this is the second single and it reminds me of another song. I think its a cover but I'm not 100%

Brave: Not as instant as the previous songs but still good

Outta My Head: OH-MY-GOD!! BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM. Uptempo pop with bits of electro pop. Leona delivers it PERFECTLY. ''its funny how easy you can mess me up, now look how easy I get you (MUSIC BURSTS) outta my head, outta my head''. Definitely one of the best songs Leona ever recorded

My Hands: Hmmm, I don't LOVE this song. Its not bad though. Has the vibes of the first songs of the album. Not a big fan of it

Love Letter: Uptempo song, not as dance-y as Outta My Head but its still nice to hear Leona on uptempo songs.

Broken: Tearjerker ballad on the vibes of Bleeding Love but not as epic. It's still one of my favorites on the album.

Naked: Uptempo pop / rock-y song. ''i'm naked, i'm naked without you'' nice lyrics, Leona delivers greatly, again.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out: OH-MY-GOD again... Just like she did with Run, Leona gives an absolutely EPIC rendition of the Oasis's classic. Her voice gives you goosebumps during this song. Brilliant. Epic. Fantastic... and those are still not enough

Don't Let Me Down: Hmmm, its a good slow song... and Timberlake's background vocals on the chorus add something to the song but its not gonna be massive in any way. It's not one of those songs you'll be playing in repeat but its not one you're gonna skip either... On a side note, it does have a quite addictive chorus and Leona's voice flows well with Justin's...

Alive: Great. Just great! It starts slowly then turns into a powerful chorus and keeps going from there. Great, optimistic lyrics include ''Tears i've cried, I'll survive, I'm alive''. I love it!

Lost Then Found: Duet with OneRepublic. Amazing song... Their voices flow so perfectly together. It could do well as a single, its one of those powerful songs that people love.

Stone Hearts: The biggest part of the song is almost acoustic, then on the final part the music fades out, then bursts into stronger music. I like it just for that final part...

Overall, its such a GREAT second effort from Leona. A big step forward from Spirit and I hope it does as good sales-wise. As much difficult as you may be with your musical tastes, you can't go through this album and not find something you'll like.

Kudos Ms. Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but ........, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)

The best track by a mile on this album is Stop Crying Your Heart Out. Not sure if Leona released that as a single, but if not she should have done. It's a brilliant cover, an unusual song for her but it ends up suiting her voice reallywell. Happy and Broken are OK, but the rest of it is samey-samey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class - Track 10 Is A Masterpiece!!!!, 6 Nov. 2009
Mr. A. R. Castor (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
Having been fortunate enough to have an advance, I've been playing this CD in my taxi for about 2 days constantly and people are asking me one question and one question only.....who is singing this song?..........I know it from somewhere...

Just like she did with the cover of Run last year, Leona has covered another rockband song, 'Stop Crying Your Out' by Oasis and it is simply beautiful. The CD is worth buying just for that record alone.

The rest of the album is a usual mixture of up-tempo numbers that fall easily into Leona's range and the typical "only Leona and Mariah can do these' songs with beautful fluttering notes and huge endings.

Personally, I think the weakest song is her first release, Happy.

I would have loved to see the Oasis cover version released first, but maybe after she did that with Run, its not best to be known as a singer who just does other peoples hits.

Track 13 is a duet and is nice.

Much better than Spirit, but then when the artist gets an input into the lyrics you can tell that the songs are from the heart and therefore sound much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Original, 9 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Echo (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this album I thought the tracks, other than Happy, were terrible. But having listened to it several times now, I absolutely love it! There isn't a single track that isn't brilliant. But it did take a while for I Got You to grow on me. The highlights are tracks 4-10. My favourites have to be Outta My Head, My Hands and Naked. Outta My Head is the catchiest tune you will have heard in a while. The only problem is it's too high for me to sing XD My Hands and Naked are just incredible :)

Echo