on 30 April 2010
It's always hard to decide on an item that has two reviews at opposite ends of the scale. I took a gamble and wasn't disappointed. My dog's not a hard core chewer and besides I wouldn't leave a dog unattended with anything that contained batteries. You never know what they can accomplish given enough time!

If you plan on getting this out just for one on one play at night I don't think you'll be unhappy with the quality at all. I wouldn't submerge it in water but the removable area is very well wedged in there and I would dare to say fairly water resistant. As long as you don't go swimming with it I'm sure it would be fine.

The light is bright and alternates between the colours shown rather than being them all at once like the image. A nice touch though perhaps accidental is that it sometimes resets to red with an impact. I think this is when it hits the on/off area. It's fun anyway as it seems to interract with play.

A good buy.
on 7 November 2011
I've bought two of these over the last couple of years as they're ideal for those early morning (5.45am!) walks which take place in the dark for half the year. However, whilst they have both started-out really bright and easy to switch on and off, they have very soon become extremely hard to activate.

The second issue has been the batteries, the first one I bought lasted a good 2 months before it started fading, but the latest one lasted less than week! On both occasions I have replaced the batteries but the switch inside appears to have given-up.

All-in-all I wouldn't object to buying a new one every season if only the batteries and switch lasted, but the durability of the switch and batteries is far less than the super-tough rubber encasing them.

Ultimately I'm left with two very durable tennis balls (great!) except that my dog can't see them!!!
on 29 November 2012
Although the ball would not light up when received, I think the button had been pressed in, I was able to replace the battery. It does take a while with a long, flat, screwdriver to prize the bung/switch out but you just have to be forcefull as there is a circular ring at the base of the bung that needs to be freed.
Once out I tested the two batteries supplied in another device and they were dead. I did not have two of the slim batteries so replaced it with one CR2032 as this is the same size as the two previous batteries (less than £1). Although it is less voltage i.e. only one 3V this is plenty to power the LED.

Now play at night with my Lab who loves chasing the ball and can not turn it off when she chews it. easy to see on tall grass and seems very durable and hard waring, but yet to get damp or wet. If this happens I might wrap the LED in some clingfilm to make it even more water tight next time I replace the battery.

Currently used for 3 weeks and battery still working.
on 20 November 2010
We bought our ball a month ago and it has been a fantastic success. Our 2 border collies love it and it means we can walk and play with them in the dark. We bought a ball that changes colour and the colours are all gorgeous and very bright. The ball is tough, a good size (tennis ball like) and can't be turned off accidentally by the dogs. We have been stopped and asked where we got if from by so many people. I can't recommend it enough.
on 12 November 2010
I read some reviews about this dog toy before I bought it (I actually bought two!) and I have to say that although they are fantastic for the first couple of weeks the batteries die out very quickly! I know this can be easily rectified with new batteries but surely a ball costing this much should have a longer battery life. I think the idea as a whole is a good one, my dog goes crazy for the lights! But the short battery life brings my opinion on this product down.
on 17 October 2012
Have purchased several of these balls because the dog can see them in the gloom and I can find the balls in the dark. The last batch contained several balls (2/3) where the battery had already run out so the balls were useless at night. Don't know how to ensure the supplier sells balls with new batteries so buyer beware, because they are very expensive if they are, in effect, just a bouncy ball. The faulty balls were sold to me by Brooklyn deals through Amazon.
on 29 November 2011
Upgraded to a 5star.. sorry video is a little blurred
This is fantastic, the size and bounciness of a tennis ball, I received this last week after looking for a ball that can be used to play with my spaniel in the dark. He is a very active springer and as it is now dark 2 hrs before I finish work he was getting a little bit fed up plodding around the park. His ball is everything! So although at first I thought the cost was a little steep I worked out that the loss of 4 decent balls on ropes within a week would mean the outlay for this to be a wise investment. I purchased the RED one.

So it arrived and we waited until it got dark. Then it was time to put it to the test. Quicker to put next bit in bullet points

* At first I thought price was a little steep but it is proving its worth.

* When you take it out the package dont switch it on in a lit room and think hmmm only half lights up and its a bit dim like I did. When you get out into the night it glows a good'un (as vibrant as a bicycle light).

* It fits well into a tennis ball launcher. Good thing as ball is quiet weighty.

* It is a thick sturdy construction - although wouldnt suggest for dogs who likes a good old chomp on a ball or strong jawed dogs, (I wouldnt have given this to my last German Shepherd who chomped through Black Kongs for fun) but would suggest most dogs would be fine with this.

* Can be seen even in long grass so when my spaniel put it down to have a sniff he easily found it again, and I could still see it.

* When I first received it, it was quiet hard to switch it on as you have to squeeze the activation point, however it shows in the instructions how to turn it on using various options like standing on it. Now no problems.

* As your dog is retrieving the ball you can see him too so even if he wanders the lightball still lets you know where he is.

* Batteries are changeable!! - This has been on and off and on for nearly a month now 2 hrs every day and still no signs of dimming.

* After a while it proves a little slimey and slippery for the dog to hold onto but they can put it down and still find it to pick it up....

* Makes spaniel tails wag even faster and I didnt think that was possible. He loves to watch it fly through the air then pounce on it, although I am waiting for some weird news articles in my local paper from the bewildered residents that overlook the park, who keep seeing a bright red light dropping out the sky which then appears to bounce and bobble along.

*This product seems to be well made and resilient and a long time coming into my household. I can also highly recommend the companies Nite Ize Dawg collar which can be cut to length to fit and is also very bright and well made.

Happy days! First time I have ever wished I lived far enough north for winter to be permanent darkness.... I WILL give this product 5 stars once I have seen it durability over a month.
****************
Still going, although batteries changed which is to be expected really as its constantly in use, glowing brighter than ever! Awesome 5 stars
on 2 March 2011
We got this for one of our dogs at Christmas and initally found it hard to set up and swith on and off - but once it was working it was great fun - for about four outings, after which time it stopped working. We disassembled it and replaced the battery but it had given up the ghost. We'd thrown away the packaging so couldn't return it. Very disappointing, don't know if we were just unlucky or if they are not very durable.
on 12 October 2010
Have had two of these balls and in both cases despite following the intructions to remove the LED pack after use so it can dry out the ball has not lasted more than a couple of weeks. I also emailed the company and received no feedback at all. Expensive compared to others.
on 21 January 2012
I have had three of these balls now and while they look amazing eventually the bung flies out or the led bit stops working. mainly from the action of being thrown. As a final point they cannot be used near hard paving areas.

See one answered question