4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look.
It's always hard to decide on an item that has two reviews at opposite ends of the scale. I took a gamble and wasn't disappointed. My dog's not a hard core chewer and besides I wouldn't leave a dog unattended with anything that contained batteries. You never know what they can accomplish given enough time!

If you plan on getting this out just for one on one...
Published on 30 April 2010 by Modern Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, shame about the durability
I've bought two of these over the last couple of years as they're ideal for those early morning (5.45am!) walks which take place in the dark for half the year. However, whilst they have both started-out really bright and easy to switch on and off, they have very soon become extremely hard to activate.

The second issue has been the batteries, the first one I...
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by 4P0LL0

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look., 30 April 2010

If you plan on getting this out just for one on one play at night I don't think you'll be unhappy with the quality at all. I wouldn't submerge it in water but the removable area is very well wedged in there and I would dare to say fairly water resistant. As long as you don't go swimming with it I'm sure it would be fine.

The light is bright and alternates between the colours shown rather than being them all at once like the image. A nice touch though perhaps accidental is that it sometimes resets to red with an impact. I think this is when it hits the on/off area. It's fun anyway as it seems to interract with play.

A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dog Toy, 29 Nov 2012
Although the ball would not light up when received, I think the button had been pressed in, I was able to replace the battery. It does take a while with a long, flat, screwdriver to prize the bung/switch out but you just have to be forcefull as there is a circular ring at the base of the bung that needs to be freed.
Once out I tested the two batteries supplied in another device and they were dead. I did not have two of the slim batteries so replaced it with one CR2032 as this is the same size as the two previous batteries (less than £1). Although it is less voltage i.e. only one 3V this is plenty to power the LED.

Now play at night with my Lab who loves chasing the ball and can not turn it off when she chews it. easy to see on tall grass and seems very durable and hard waring, but yet to get damp or wet. If this happens I might wrap the LED in some clingfilm to make it even more water tight next time I replace the battery.

Currently used for 3 weeks and battery still working.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, shame about the durability, 7 Nov 2011

The second issue has been the batteries, the first one I bought lasted a good 2 months before it started fading, but the latest one lasted less than week! On both occasions I have replaced the batteries but the switch inside appears to have given-up.

All-in-all I wouldn't object to buying a new one every season if only the batteries and switch lasted, but the durability of the switch and batteries is far less than the super-tough rubber encasing them.

Ultimately I'm left with two very durable tennis balls (great!) except that my dog can't see them!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a short time, 12 Nov 2010
I read some reviews about this dog toy before I bought it (I actually bought two!) and I have to say that although they are fantastic for the first couple of weeks the batteries die out very quickly! I know this can be easily rectified with new batteries but surely a ball costing this much should have a longer battery life. I think the idea as a whole is a good one, my dog goes crazy for the lights! But the short battery life brings my opinion on this product down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ball!, 20 Nov 2010
Mrs. D. J. Rayner (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
We bought our ball a month ago and it has been a fantastic success. Our 2 border collies love it and it means we can walk and play with them in the dark. We bought a ball that changes colour and the colours are all gorgeous and very bright. The ball is tough, a good size (tennis ball like) and can't be turned off accidentally by the dogs. We have been stopped and asked where we got if from by so many people. I can't recommend it enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful who you buy from, 17 Oct 2012
Have purchased several of these balls because the dog can see them in the gloom and I can find the balls in the dark. The last batch contained several balls (2/3) where the battery had already run out so the balls were useless at night. Don't know how to ensure the supplier sells balls with new batteries so buyer beware, because they are very expensive if they are, in effect, just a bouncy ball. The faulty balls were sold to me by Brooklyn deals through Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars They always break, 21 Jan 2012
I have had three of these balls now and while they look amazing eventually the bung flies out or the led bit stops working. mainly from the action of being thrown. As a final point they cannot be used near hard paving areas.

2.0 out of 5 stars great item but doesn't last, 2 Mar 2011
We got this for one of our dogs at Christmas and initally found it hard to set up and swith on and off - but once it was working it was great fun - for about four outings, after which time it stopped working. We disassembled it and replaced the battery but it had given up the ghost. We'd thrown away the packaging so couldn't return it. Very disappointing, don't know if we were just unlucky or if they are not very durable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Oct 2010
Have had two of these balls and in both cases despite following the intructions to remove the LED pack after use so it can dry out the ball has not lasted more than a couple of weeks. I also emailed the company and received no feedback at all. Expensive compared to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars no good for strong dogs, 21 Jan 2013
Hi, I received my Nite Ize LED Pet Ball a few days ago and was delighted at first. I have a chocolate lab who normally destroys balls but I expected this one to last a bit longer, I had read the other reviews and thought it was more durable than it is. The second time we took him out with the ball, he chewed it in his mouth and the light and other bits fell out and luckily he didnt swallow them. So beware if you have a big, strong, ball chewer like mine.

Nite Ize Meteorlight LED Pet Ball