5.0 out of 5 stars Great when waking around all day.
Published on 7 Nov 2010 by M. Witherington

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh my Oh my. Which one? The RS4 or the RS7
Don't make the same mistake as I did and assume that the RS7 is an upgraded version of the RS4. It's not and they're two completely different versions of the same thing. Although they do the same job of holding onto a camera, and a delightful way of doing it too, they utilise two very different methods.

The best advice I can offer is to take a look at the...
Published on 4 Nov 2011 by Chris Carson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great when waking around all day., 7 Nov 2010
M. Witherington "Gadget Freak" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
Just thought I would leave my thoughts on the Black Rapid RS-7 strap. Firstly, GET ONE! If you are carrying a camera around all day, especially if it has a large lens attached then this strap makes your life a lot easier, it's as comfortable and quick to you as it is professed to be. It can connect to tripod mount on either lens or base of camera. Black Rapid make accessories, fasteners for extra cameras, etc, should you need them. I went to LeMans this year with a 300mm f/4 connected to my D300 (with batt grip) and at the end of the day, no aching shoulder, no back ache and it felt safe and out of the way of the jostling crowds. Recently I have been using the RS-7 with a 70-200 f/2.8 with strap attached to the lend tripod mount. With D700 and battery grip attached that's well over 3 kilos, I must admit I bearly know I am wearing it. I do not know many straps that will hold this weight safely (without putting too much pressure on the lens mount) and be this comfortable.

Things to note:
1) having the strap connect to the tripod mount takes a bit of getting used to although once you are there's no worry.
2) because the strap connects to the tripod mount, use of a monopod/tripod becomes more difficult since you have to detach the strap on each use, although I have just read that Black Rapid have made a connector that is compatible with the Manfrotto RC2 plate (FastenR-T1, mine is on order), so this issue goes away (if you use Manfrotto with a RC2 head of course).

UPDATE: the FastenR-T1 arrived and I am using it with my Manfrotto RC2 quick release plate. The FastenR-T1 seems to work well with the RC2 plate, which in turn seems to work well with the RS-7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple enough to be brilliant., 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
Until recently I have used a wide neoprene type strap on my camera, where it attaches to the normal fixing loops on either side of the camera. My preferred method of carry is either over one shoulder, or else diagonally across the chest, which worked very well whilst I was using a relatively light camera, but when I switched to a much heavier camera/lens combo I found the extra weight meant the camera strap did not slide well when lifting the camera up to eye level.

The Black Rapid overcomes this problem brilliantly. The fixing point for the camera is via the tripod mount, where a small but heavy duty ring is screwed, this is then attached to the strap by means of a lockable shackle that slides along the strap via a rotating swivel and metal loop. There are also two plastic quick release buffers that slide along the strap, the rear buffer stops the camera drifting too far behind you, whereas the front buffer can quickly positioned low on the strap to steady the camera when not in use.

The carry position for the Black Rapid is from one shoulder to the opposite hip, which may take some getting used to for some, as the camera sits a little lower than it would on a "static" strap. However this does mean that the camera can be worn inside an open coat/jacket where it is quite unobtrusive, then quickly and smoothly swung up into position for a quick shot. Also because of the swivel attachment, taking photographs in portrait orientation is just as easy as in landscape orientation. I found with static straps that they are fine when the camera is horizontal, but if you try turning it on it's side the camera strap would tighten, making positioning difficult, or else there would be loose bits of strap trying to fall over the view finder. Neither is a problem for the Black Rapid.

There are two possible disadvantages to the Black Rapid. The first is that because it sits comfortably low on the hip, it is easy to forget the camera is there, and so it could be more prone to knocks if you try brushing past something. To get over this I tend to walk with my hand resting over the camera (whether it is being worn over or under my jacket), and I always have the lens hood on. The second problem is that because the Black Rapid uses the tripod mounting point, the strap's attaching ring has to be unscrewed from the camera before it can be screwed onto the tripod head / quick release plate. Black Rapid have produced an alternative mounting ring that can be combined with a Manfrotto quick release plate for quick transfer from strap to tripod head, however the first batch of these alternative rings have suffered from quality control issues (tolerances less than 1mm). Black Rapid are reporting that a re-engineered alternative should be available early 2011. NOTE - This only applies to the additional ring for quick release plates, the standard Black Rapid fixing ring is perfectly fine.

If you are prepared to put up with the extra couple of seconds needed to transfer your camera from strap to tripod, then this carry option is brilliant, especially if you are using a heavier camera. Unobtrusive, comfortable to wear and very fast/smooth to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 23 Aug 2010
M. R. Owens "M.Owens" (Berkshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
Have used a padded Lowepro strap for some time but after a day out it does get uncomfortable if used around the neck. I looked for an alternative and came across the Black Rapid set of camera straps. In the end I chose the RS-7 camera strap. What I like about this strap is how comfortable it is even after long periods of use. You can let your camera hang by your side so the weight is spread across the shoulder rather than the neck, so no more aching neck. It is suitable to use with my 7D and any lens up to my 70-200mm f4L. I also like the method of securing the camera to the strap via the tripod mount on the camera (or lens body). Yes it is expensive but when you consider how much you pay for your camera and lenses then it's very good value for money and your camera is more secure. Would recommend this strap 100%.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh my Oh my. Which one? The RS4 or the RS7, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)

The best advice I can offer is to take a look at the Black Rapid website and watch the two videos of the RS7 and RS4 very carefully. I say carefully because the differences are very subtle, and very important. At these prices it's best to know what you're doing. It all has to do with the adjustment and how the two versions, the RS4 & RS7 go about it. Personally I went for the RS4 because I reckon the adjustment method would be better when it comes to using it, with or without a jacket. It seems to me the RS4 would make life just that little bit less complicated and would be a little more accommodating.

My only major complaint is that of the high price. Because Black Rapid seem to have got the market all to themselves, they feel free to charge what they like. So I suppose we should be grateful that it's only about twenty quid over the top. But at least we do get a good quality product that should last for a few years. Because once you've tried one of these there's no going back, and you'll want to keep it and change it from camera to camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider what else you are carrying, 3 July 2012
M. Stewart - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
I think this is a great idea and the strap definitely reduces the neck pain I get from carrying a camera and large lens around for any period.

The issue I had was that I carry a back pack to store the camera in when I'm not shooting and the shoulder straps of the backpack interfered with the Black Rapid somewhat, I also had to remove one of the backpack straps in order to set the camera down. This could well just be down to poor adjustment on my part but I would definitely recommend considering what else you carry before ordering one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera Sling - Black Rapid RS-7, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
I am an armature photographer but one who does a lot of press style work relating to my job, covering retirements, public events etc. My other hobby is hill walking, so I also indulge in wild-life and landscape.

I have been looking for a piece of kit like this for a long time and was on the verge of designing or modifying an existing camera strap to perform the same function.

This strap or sling does exactly what it says on the tin, I have been using it for a number of weeks with a verity of lenses attached to my NIKON D2X and find it great. A good number of you will know what its like to carry heavy lens like a 300, 400 or 500mm for even a short time. It is literally a pain in the neck.

I won't BS any of you reading this review. It is way, way over-priced for a very simple construction. I bough it simply because nobody else (that I could find) manufactures an item like it, LowPro wake up and take note (all my other gear is LowPro).

So you have to ask yourself, 1 - Are you having neck problems with your current set-up. 2 - Do you have 80+ Euro you are not using (Price to Irish customers - shipping etc).

I like it (a lot) but you will have to make up your own mind regarding the cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars makes the lens more susceptible to damage if you bang into something like a door surround, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
Read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of reviews on YouTube and watched the videos on BlackRapid's website before ordering my RS-7. Been using it for a couple of days now with my D7100 and an 18-200mm attached and I'm experiencing a problem that I've not seen mentioned in any reviews. As I walk around the telephoto lens gradually extends out to the full 200mm. This, of course, makes the lens more susceptible to damage if you bang into something like a door surround. I don't know if it's simply due to the camera dangling upside down or if it's due the lens barrel rubbing against my hip when I walk. I would not say the barrel is particularly loose e.g., if I hold the camera level and try to pull the barrel out from the front it doesn't move. So I suspect the motion of the lens zoom ring against the hip. Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you managed to find a solution? I've ordered the tether kit in the hope that a) it will solve my problem and b) that I will feel a bit more at ease and not feel inclined to check the carbiner attachment every few minutes - I don't fully trust the rig yet. I think the tether kit is also going to be a must as the camera turns 360 degrees which means that the grip is not always were you instinctively want it to be or hope it's going to be when your reach down to grab the camera for a shot. As many reviewers have said the BlackRapid is expensive for what it is. If you add on the tether kit and, say, the underarm Brad then the overall cost of the system gets a bit ridiculous. I also wonder if the attachment mechanism will be as secure if it's screwed into a battery grip as opposed to the camera body. Does anyone have any views on or experience in this regard?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for purpose but!, 24 Aug 2014
Purchased in May 2014.
If only I could give this Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap a 3.5 rating.

If all you do with your camera is get it out of a bag and shoot with it this is perfect, the downside is when you start to use it for a longer basis, all day walking and shooting for example. The RS-7 is again very capable with a comfortable and adjustable strap that fits well (I am 6ft) enabling a much easier day than using the camera's included strap. The strap does slide a little on the shoulder whatever I am wearing, this is probably due to the heavy kit it is carrying more than a fault with the strap and pad itself. I have not used it with a lighter load.
Usage you must wear the strap over the left shoulder anything else and it does not work at all. The camera then sits just below my waistband and again this height can be adjusted. I fit the included FastenR to the tripod mount on the lens although it can also fit on the body tripod mount of the camera, experiment for the best balance on your camera. I want the camera to remain in a horizontal position hence the tripod mount point. When you are comfortable with the position of the mount put the strap over your left shoulder and ensure it has the logo is closer to your nipple than the shoulder (in terms of height) The camera should fall into a horizontal position by your right hand at rest. This is the most comfortable position for me and allows me to restrict swing with my hand resting on the camera when needed.

So all sounds great why should it be marked lower? Little niggles which only arise after purchase.
If you are carrying a heavy camera and lens the FastenR physically clicks as the two metals rub together this is transferred along the strap making it an noisy annoyance. Black Rapid do offer the Stealth FasternR which is covered in vinyl for this purpose. The buckle on the RS-7 and other RS Straps are easily squeezable and for security sake they sell a buckle cover called Buck this prevents the strap being opened whilst it is being worn. Finally whilst the FastnenR is secure if screwed in tightly iit only holds one part of the system being carried. In my case the lens via the tripod mount. I have lost the body due to the Canon lens being released whilst walking! Not great when a 5diii falls off at Glastonbury of course the EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM was still swinging safely. I changed to the body mount for the rest of my time at the festival. The body had minor damage. RS do sell a Tether kit which allows you to retain the tripod mount and fix the body to that mount in case it happens again. It also allows you to loop over a belt if needed. Purchased on return.

So the strap is great but the need for extras should be factored in with your purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars So handy, and great value, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
This Black Rapid strap is brilliant, could have ended up with a super expensive strap that did something similar, or gone for a super cheap one that either breaks or snags when using it.

The rapid, simply works, can adjust the length easily and when not in use my camera feels secure and out of the way, but when I need it, I can access it without issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, you're just going to have to get one., 4 May 2012
This review is from: Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap (Electronics)
Best camera strap I've ever had in my life. Wish I had this years ago.

I've got years of experience photographing weddings, events, portraits, travel and have had all sorts of gear.

I've used this strap recently with D700 with various lenses like the 35mm 1.4g and 85mm 1.4 and it is simply superb in my opinion. Quick to attach to your camera, then you put it on and weight just disappears and the camera tucks out of the way at the side. Then it's ready to be pulled up for instant use. I really hate normal straps getting in the way, particularly when you are changing orientation etc and for that reason I would often walk around with an accessible bag and use a camera strap free. I love the freedom. Well, you get the same feeling with this strap due to it being attached into the tripod mount.

Honestly, I know these are perhaps a little pricey, but if you're looking, you're just going to have to get one. You will not regret it. Weight disappears. Amazing design. Just get it. Small investment will ensure regular camera use because of the comfort, and of course you will keep it for years and use it with many different cameras. The weight just goes away. Amazing design.

Best. Strap. Ever!!! (and no I don't work for them!, I'm a genuine blown away customer who wished he had got one of these years ago). All straps should be made like this.

Black Rapid RS-7 Camera Strap