5.0 out of 5 stars NYC rules!
I suppose I am going against the grain here with my opinion, but I really liked this book. Might be the Christmas eggnog but it was a light, easy read that had me wanting to head for NYC immediately (much like I Heart New York did).

Published on 16 Dec 2010 by Love2ReadUK

1.0 out of 5 stars uhh...is that it?
Published on 9 Mar 2011 by Sophie Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars NYC rules!, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Kindle Edition)

Sure there are things a tad annoying about this book, but the writer is competent and I raced through it with a smile on my face, hence the five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Kindle Edition)
I thouroughly enjoyed this book! I read some of the more negative reviews but if you are looking for a lighthearted read with plenty escapism then this is deffinately the book to read. I have since purcheased Miranda's other books and am enjoying them every bit as much. Rosie is a lovable character and I couldn't wait to read it to the end to see if her fairytale did indeed come true.

1.0 out of 5 stars uhh...is that it?, 9 Mar 2011
Sophie Cross "sophie_cross" (Kingston upon Thames) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Paperback)
I've just got to the bit where Rosie has just confessed her "big secret" and thought I must have missed something, so went back a few pages and re-read, but I was right the first time, the secret wasn't that big and the effort of reading the book to that point wasn't worth finding out. As other readers have mentioned, the characters are so one-dimensianal and predictable - the one star is for the fact that the book is set in New York and not for the writing, characters or plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars brillaint book, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Kindle Edition)
had a kindle for my birthday so this was my 1st book i brought for it to read over xmas couldnt put it down made me laugh would recommend to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read!, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Kindle Edition)
I read this over the Christmas holidays and enjoyed it. It's lovely and festive and it's about an English girl falling in love in Manhattan. If you love New York you'll love this book. Light-hearted fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time!, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Paperback)
My mum bought this book for my birthday, so I eagerly took it (along with a few other books) on holiday. Usually as soon as I start reading a novel I can't put it down and finish it within 2 or 3 days-not this one! The writing is not particularly great with the characters being one dimensional and not in the slightest bit believable. Rosie (the main character) is saccharine sweet and everyone (and I mean everyone!) loves her! (As if?) As other reviewers have commented, the part where Rosie reveals her big secret was just laughable! The plot and sub plots are weak and the way in which Rosie calls people 'mate' just seems ridiculous. I only finished this book as I felt I ought to as it was a gift but sadly the only enjoyment it gave me was reading bits out to my boyfriend that were laughable as they were so bad!

I feel sorry for the author as I'm sure she spent months writing this, but hopefully her next book will be a vast improvement on this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Summer Read, 2 Jan 2012
J. S. Kerr (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Paperback)
I love everything about New York, so this book was purchased purely for the fact that it was set there, add to that the fact that its a romance book and is set at Christmas, it hit my trifecta for a good read.

It takes a while to get into the story, with a lot happening around a central story that isnt revealed until about half way through the book and as i usually become extremely curious about how everything plays out in a book i had to stop myself from flicking to the back pages on quite a few occassions.

Although in my opinion the story starts off a lot slower in the first half of the book it does give you a chance to get to know the characters and get great insight into their relationships with one another, and by the time all is revealed you have made decisions on what outcome you want for all the characters.

This is a great first novel and a fantastic summer read as it doesnt take a lot of effort or concentration.

Rosie Duncan owns a small flower shop in New York City. English by birth she moved to the states and ended up in Boston, but following a humiliating heart break she now finds herself the owner of Kowalskis, a florists on the Upper West Side of Manhatten. Rosie along with her staff Ed and Marnie make beautiful creations that see them thrust into Manhattens social scene. But what will Rosie do when a past she long thought forgotten shows up to ask for her services, and will she ever breakdown the wall she built around her heart after Boston, and let someone love her?

4.0 out of 5 stars Could it be romance in New York, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Kindle Edition)
I have conflicting view about this book.

The start you meet Rosie who owns a florist in New York after leaving the UK She has a secret but she feels that she can not share with everyone. She works with Ed who loves the dating scene and there is Marnie who wants to find love. Rosie is happy to be single or is she.

After deciding that she will help her friend Celia with providing flowers for an author meeting, Celia invites her to come along. Admiration of her flower display designs her little quiet florist starts to get busy and could her love life starts to change as well after she meets Nate.

But then the worst thing could happen her pass catches up with her, could this be the end.

The start of the book i felt like i could not put it down and mid way i found it annoying that there was too much flash back to the past which i did not find relevent.

The secret was not much a shock, but it was good how the ending turned out.

I will read another book of Miranda's which is next on my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time faves!, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Kindle Edition)
Review: it was only when I was reading this book for the second time that I realised that this is one of my all time favourite books and yet I've never actually reviewed it, having read it pre-blogging times! I love this book and it was amazing to read it again 5 years later and still love it. There were parts of the books I'd completely forgotten I loved and so it was amazing to recapture that joy from the very first time all over again!

Obviously the setting of this book is amazing, I could've imagined that Miranda was a native New Yorker when I read this and indeed when I first read it, I assumed that she was. This lives out a lot of people's dreams, moving from the UK and ending up having a fabulous life I the big apple, every detail is described beautifully, you can smell the smells, see the sights and really feel all the action right there in the pages of the novel.

The characters in thei book are what really make it come alive though. Rosie is lovely, completely believable and completely likeable. Her trust issues and her inability to let others in it totally relatable and yet I really love her for it. Ed is hilarious and a real player, but he really cares for his friends and I completely admire him for that. Celia and Marnie are just the perfect side kicks for Rosie. I want Marnie to be my best friend and I would totally love to read about her as well. Coffee is also a major player in the novel. The coffee machine in the florist, the coffee houses for New York and the healing cups of coffees that thing things into the open and heal emotional wounds-just fab, I can smell it now!

The storyline of this novel is just so heartwarming and so compelling, it will have you turning pages at a rate and a half and I defy anyone not to audibly aww at at least one part in the novel, thank goodness I read this when I was alone in my house, that's also I can say. I laughed, I cried, I wanted to be there hanging out with all of them-just a lovely book and I just want so badly to find out what happens next!

1.0 out of 5 stars Anyone seen 'Someone Like You'? Here's a worse version in print, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Fairytale of New York (Paperback)
If you've seen the film 'Someone like You' with Hugh Jackman, then you've read this book. I cannot believe how closely the story line follows the movie. It's like the author saw the film and decided that she would write a book, changing a few plot lines.

As others have said, it's a flat, boring story. The use of 'mate' is incredibly annonying, and I don't know any woman in Engand who says that - at all. The 'big secret' is nothing to write home about, and Rosie seems to live a charmed life without ever worrying about money, business or family.

Don't be charmed by the beautiful front cover. Leave this book on the shelf and spend your time with other authors. I suggest Julie Cohen, Janet Gover or Rachel Gibson.

Fairytale of New York