on 17 June 2010
What a wonderful surprise.....the sound quality is first class and the video playback is again really good. The screen is a little small to watch a full length film, but is possible, the clarity cannot be faulted. The battery life is pretty good when listening to music, but gets eaten away watching video so if you are travelling for more than a couple of days you will need to take a charger.
The menus are pretty intuitive and the touch screen is functional and responsive. The drag and drop to load music and photo's, video etc is very simple.

All in all a real competitor to Apples offerings and if like me you do like to be a little alternative and not follow the crowd then this is certainly the player for you........did i say its also got GREAT music playback quality :)
on 11 January 2010
I have owned a Samsung MP3 player before and went for this because I like the brand. The YP-R1 has totally blown me away. It's very easy to use, simple drag and drop with Windows media player 11. Touch screen very responsive and easy to use. Sounds great. Can't put it down!
on 1 March 2010
Samsung YPR1JCS 8GB Digital Media Player with Touchscreen in Silver

I've wanted to upgrade my MP3 Players for sometime now. I've looked at all the sites for recommendations of what to buy and what not to buy.
I came across this Mp3 player on Which web site and it was a best buy! So Having armed myself with all the information I set about finding one to buy.
Amazon is a great company to buy from no hassle and a very easy internet site to use, low and behold there was the exact player I was searching for (Samsung YP R1). I could not believe my eyes on the price it was being offered for sale at half the price compared to other sites. The reviews on this product were all telling the same facts, Great Name, Great Player.
So I bought one and although it took a little longer than stated to arrive, I can tell you all, it was well worth the wait. Straight from the box and switched on and WOW, what an interface, clear, bright and sharp. It was so easy to use I didn't bother reading the small booklet that came with it. I downloaded the software pre-installed on the player, and hey presto up and away. It took about an hour before I could convert some video files and load them onto the player, and only a few mins to start loading my music files.The sound is amazing good Bass and Mid range. Quite a lot of features to get the sound just how you want it. The Video is smallish but good quality and again an assortment of sound modes to enhance your enjoyment.The in ear headphones supplied with the player are of good quality not the cheap and nasty type you sometimes find with this priced product.
So yeah go buy one even if you aren't quite sure about the touch screen take it from me it's a doddle to operate. I just can't believe the quality of this player for this price, even at the retail price it would still be a good buy.
Well done Samsung and Well done Amazon for including this MP3/MP4 Player on your site.
on 30 January 2010
This little MP3 player has everything a MP3 player should have! It has all the features you'll ever need and it comes with a touchscreen as well! What more can you ask for? This is definitely one of the best if not the best MP3 player at this price range on the market.

I bought three of them just because of the good reviews it has received! One for myself, one for my brother and one for my Dad. We all love it and it surely did live up to the good ratings it has. It definitely beats ipod or sony mp3 players which are more expensive and has less features.

Do keep the firmware up to date though, the latest firmware gives the player a longer battery life! Download it from the Samsung website.

THIS REALLY IS A MUST BUY!
on 29 March 2010
Plopped onto my doormat a couple of days after ordering (and in perfect condition) so no complaints there.

As a player, its not bad at all. The sound quality is amazing, compared to my previous mp3 player. What I really appreciate is the simplicity in transferring files onto it. No more faffing about in iTunes, just plug it in, then drag and drop files (I'm using windows XP) directly into the music folder and you're away.

The blue tooth functionality works well, my girlfriend uses it through her blue tooth hearing aids and says it's great. A big downside is you can't listen to the FM radio via blue tooth, at least we couldn't anyway.

At first the touch screen seems a bit clunky but then again, its an mp3 player not an iPhone. I've got used to it and now i just hit random play, shove it in my pocket and get on with listening to my 300 odd albums on there.

Overall, happy with it. Great sound quality for the price. Bit gimmicky here and there but it does what its supposed to do and that's what matters in my opinion.
on 19 February 2010
I had been looking for a new Mp3 player for a while , after my Ipod Nano and an unfortunate encounter with a washing machine, I wasn't too impressed with the Ipod or Apple so I decided to stay away from Ipod's. After looking at many different players including the Creative Zen Xfi-2 and various cheepo Chinese copies I came came across this and was impressed by both the price and the reviews I read elsewhere, so I decided to go for it and I have not been disappointed.
Delivery and service- well what can I say, I placed my order on Wednesday afternoon and was sent an email describing when it would be shipped and how I could track my order shortly after. Importantly it said when my package would be delivered, Friday the 19th, I was a little dubious as I went for the standard delivery, which says 3-5 working days, but sure enough at about 1100 this morning it turned up via City Link Courier, not 48 hours after I placed the order.
Packaging- arrived in pristine condition(no dents or marks on the box) which is impressive as it was only in a plastic courier bag, the player sits VERY snug inside the box and even has a screen protector on it for added measure:)
The player- that's all very interesting but what about the player?? Well smiles all round lovely piece of kit to use, touch screen is super responsive, no need for a pen to jab at the buttons here! and although the screen seems small to start with, it is easy to use and navigate through your music (although the album cover scroll feature is a little slow). external volume buttons and locking button/off switch are a must and work really well. There are plenty of widgets such as calender radio picture gallery etc which add to players usefulness. Despite not having wi-fi the player does have bluetooth which is nice should you wish to connect with your phone or wireless headphones. The headphones included and the sound quality are excellent and there are plenty of settings to adjust the bass and all that jazz. battery life seems reasonable and there is a widget to tell you how much charge you have left.
problems- well not much to talk about here, no speaker , no wi-fi and slightly slow to scroll through the album art work. nothing that causes any real problem operating the player.
All in all an excellent piece of kit really solid feeling, responsive touch screen and high quality audio, combined with fast delivery and good customer service its a bargain, and in my opinion far outstretches the Ipod touch that a few of my friends own. SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THIS MP3 PLAYER!
on 29 October 2010
Probably one of the best value for money purchase I've made.

Bought this for my daughter who has special needs, I didn't think she would be able to use this on her own, how wrong was I.

She absolutely loves it and after loading a few of her favourite albums on she was up and away.

What a pleasure to see her use it as she usually uses things for a short time and then puts them down. This has become a constant companion.

Only thing we changed were the head phones as she likes the over ear type, bought a pair of JVC HA-S150AN from comet to go along side and everyone who has listened to the music is staggered by the quality of music this combination brings.

I think I may change my ipod nano 5G for this combination and get a sound upgrade and away from the torture of itunes.
on 25 March 2010
SAMSUNG YP-R1JCS/XEU R1 8GB MP3 Player (Silver) This is by far the best mp3 player i have bought,and could not believe what great value for money it was too. After needing to send a kubik 4GB back faulty i came across the Samsung R1,i was impressed with the reviews i saw and ordered it up. Delivered within 3 days, i could not believe the quality of the unit and how much you could do with it. The picture quality is fantastic and the ease of downloading music or files is as easy as it can be. Overall not a bad thing to say about it. Buy One.!!
on 16 December 2010
On 1st glance, a very nice piece of equipment, it shows the quality of Samsung.
The sound is very good, the picture quality is just as good.
The touch screen is a bit fidgety and at times too sensitive.
The biggest letdown is the cable which attaches the unit to your PC/Laptop.
Most Players have a universal cable, but the cable for the Samsung is unique to the player so you have to be careful not to loose or break the cable.
This is the only letdown from me giving this item a 5 star.
Delivery well within the date/time given by company.
on 23 November 2010
The audio quality is exceptional and the supplied ear-buds are first-class. In fact they are the first ones ever to fit my ears without falling out, that are comfortable, and give good all-round sound from bass to treble.

The video is very sharp and the screen brightness is good even at 50% setting. I'm using simple Windows drag/drop to transfer audio and video files with no problems. It accepts all the common formats without requiring any conversion. You may not want to watch a 2 hour film on it, but it's great for Shaun The Sheep, Coronation Street etc!!

The touch screen controls are intuitive and responsive. The product is well made and you can get the latest firmware update direct from the Samsung website.

The only problem I had was locating a lead to connect the device to a TV. Yes - you can display the output on a TV (which has yellow/white/red phono-inputs). I eventually found a lead which works well (actually a Nokia CA-75U) obtainable through Amazon e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ZOBR58/ref=oss_product

Overall a really good product.