5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect and stable
Well i am surprised by the other reviews ? but luckily for me its been painless.

This has replaced a Cable@wireless router which was rapidly faltering with the ADSL signal going up and down like a yoyo,
Published on 31 July 2010 by Wiggins77

2.0 out of 5 stars ADSL Modem OK - wifi questionable
Published on 29 Sep 2010 by Rookie

2.0 out of 5 stars ADSL Modem OK - wifi questionable, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Netgear DGN1000 150Mbps Wireless-N Modem Router with BT Connection (Electronics)
I wish I had read the other reviews before buying this. It does look good but the first unit I received had some form of fault which meant that the wifi only worked after changing the channel. The second unit did not have that fault, but with 801.11n selected the connection was unreliable. Selecting 801.11b/g made it more reliable, and using fixed ip addresses as opposed to DHCP has improved reliability further, but even so it often needs to be rebooted for the wifi to work. And there is a bug in the software that means when you set up a fixed ip address to a device with a MAC address starting with anything other than 00 the Javascript considers this an invalid address. I have still not been able to connect to my Blackberry successfully. As you can see, I have spent a great deal of time to achieve a service that is only just acceptable. The wifi range is just about OK, but not that brilliant. The unit also creates quite a bit of heat. On the positive side, the ADSL modem appears rock solid, although it does take longer to synch than my old router.

Oh how frustrating, the wifi went down a second time in as many hours while I was writing this review. I had to reboot again in order to post the review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Russian Roulette with a Router, 12 May 2011
After reading a few of the reviews here, it seems that there are two types of DGN1000 - the ones that work and the ones that don't. Unfortunately they aren't labelled that way, and it's just pot luck which one you get.

Having owned a DGN1000 for around 6 months, its connection reliability has been nothing short of appalling. I am now about to buy something else, and return the unit to Netgear as 'unfit for purpose'.

In short, it was simple enough to set up, but just cannot hold a signal for longer than a few hours of use. Some days I have to reboot it four or five times. Occasionally that's four or five times in an hour! I ended up on the phone with Netgear Support, whose response was along the lines of 'yeah, we're getting a lot of trouble with that one and we don't know how to fix it. We can try a few things and hope that they might work.' Well, nothing worked, it's as bad as ever...

Unless you're a habitual gambler, I would strongly recommend that you look for a more reliable unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars firmware problems, 8 Sep 2010
An intermittent fault with this router caused it to stop routing packets properly which I'm fairly sure was a firmware issue. Regardless I did as the Netgear support said and paid for it to be sent to be 'repaired'. It came back with exactly the same problem and I gave up as I'd already wasted plenty of hours testing. Thankfully amazon were very helpful and prompt with returning/refunding the purchase. It could just have been an isolated bad unit, but I can't recommend this device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Dreadful., 26 Jun 2011
Mr. Benjamin Singer (Glasgow, SCO) - See all my reviews
Categorically, the worst wireless router I have ever used.

Drops in signal strength are routine, and complete signal drop outs and failures requiring the time-honoured switch-it-off-and-on-again fix are a daily occurrence.

It's difficult to understand how this product made it to market with the problems that it has - I'm not sure whether it has the potential to be fixed with a firmware update, but so far that hasn't been forthcoming.

As another reviewer said, the problem is the wireless connectivity. If you're connecting to one of its 4 ethernet ports then you're unlikely to experience many problems, but I can't imagine many people go out to buy 802.11n routers with the intention of plugging their laptops/tablets into the back of it.

The one positive I can attribute to this router is that it has a nice, shiny black finish meaning it won't clash with the bin bag that you turf it into after having tried to download that episode of whatever from iTunes for the 100th time.

1.0 out of 5 stars InterNOT, 6 April 2012
Got this router with Virgin Broadband service in my new house. Problems started straight away, assigned 3 laptops the same IP address so had to change the IP manually on 2. All 3 experienced extremely bad signal, 1 bar in the next room, only way we could get full signal is placing the laptop next to the router. Stability was awful, speed all over the place & randomly dropping over & over again. Tried changing the wireless channel, blah blah blah & still no joy. Plugged my router in from previous house, works perfectly, good speed & super stable so I know this router is completely useless. I feel sorry for anyone who actually paid for one of these.

If you're thinking of buying one, don't waste your money/time. Can't see how Virgin (& apparently Orange!) are still rolling these out with their broadband service as it's obviously a defective product, mind boggles.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad wifi access point, 30 Mar 2011
I have had this router for about 6 months and the wifi performance is appauling. On average i have to restart it once a day as the wifi connection drops and i can't connect any devices. I've had no problems with a pc connected via ethernet though.

I would not recommend this router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect and stable, 31 July 2010

from 4meg to 1 meg and even .5 of a meg and dropping the signal altogether if this happens with your new netgearDGN1000 then its clearly a fault with the router and should be returned .

The cable@wireless last week then decided to give up the ghost and just died .

So after a bit of research and on a limited budget went for the netgear , set up was a breeze and was up and running in around 20 minutes.

With the DGN1000 in place i am getting 7.5 adsl not bad as my qouted speed is up to 8 meg, and 150 mbps network and its working just dandy with my Wife's laptop and my older usb 54meg adapter .

very happy with it and recommended.

Chris

1.0 out of 5 stars Wireless faulty (possibly firmware), 28 Jan 2012
My parents are on the second of these, and the second is as faulty as the first. The wireless tends not to be reliable (drops out frequently). If there's more than 1 machine on the wifi then it drops almost every 30 minutes. When I was browsing in a store for other makes / models another customer came in specifically to complain about the wireless not working on one of these. This is not a one off, there appears to be a serious fault with this model.

Do NOT get one of these if you want wireless to work, it's just too risky.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 18 Dec 2010
Warning! This router does not work with HTC android phones, the Nintendo Wii or PS3 consoles.

Stay clear if you intend to use with any of those machines. Do a google search for the problems!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful product, 23 Jun 2011
Awful product! I got this router from my Internet Service Provider. The router is fine connected via a cable but when you start using wireless, it becomes a nightmare. I've tried lots of different settings, new firmware etc. I honestly don't know what it is - the router is simply not fit for the purpose! don't waste your money on this product thinking that all these guys that have written reviews don't know what they're talking about. They do! Get a TP-Link wireless router instead - see the reviews for yourself!

Update: after playing with the settings for some time now, if you lower the wireless speed to up to b/g, then all pages appear to be loading fine. The combination that doesn't appear to work for me is WPA + b/g, 65Mbps, 150Mbps. After all, it's not a full 'n' router, but a 'g' router with some 'n' features!

Update 2: if you carefully read the help section while being connected to the router (192.168.0.1), you'll actually see that the 150mbps speed works only with special type of equipment and encryption. What seems to be working for me now is the combination of WPA2-PSK and up to 65Mbps. I'll keep on testing and provide feedback later on.

Update 3: increasing MTU to 1500 has helped loading pages like Bank of Scotland (account access). Previously, this would not load. Working configuration: WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) plus b/g.