They really are lovely and so comfortable.

Published on 19 May 2012 by Mrs. K. Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Large sizes
I returned these sandals as they were much too large and extremely broad fitting. They also looked quite cheap, even though they were expensive.
Published 13 months ago by travellingtom

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but double check your size on the Birkenstock website before buying, 19 May 2012
Mrs. K. Miller (Watford, UK) - See all my reviews
They really are lovely and so comfortable.

But a few words of advice, after having read a lot of comments about buying the narrow size instead and about the sizings in general in the reviews section. I went to the official Birkenstock UK website and under the tab "shop online" there is a sizing guide, and for women who are a size 7 in UK sizing, they state that you should purchase a size 40 in European sizing and the standard width. Unless you have narrow feet. Mine aren't especially wide or narrow and the regular width is perfect for me.

Usually I'm a 41 in European sizing. But I thought I'd order the size 40 and return it, if it didn't fit well. As that was the recommendation on their website. I have to say it fits perfectly.

I read the information on narrow or regular as well and this is what it said:

"Regular or narrow?
Even with foot health sandals the right fit is important. Therefore the Original Birkenstock foot bed is manufactured in two widths. When purchasing your Birkenstock sandals, ensure that you get the correct width.
Birkenstocks are designed to be roomy. When you first try your sandals they might feel big. Most people are fine with a regular fitting, but if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, a narrow fitting may be more suitable. If you want to check the width of a pair of Birkenstocks you already own, you can tell by inspecting the foot bed where there is a small image of a foot - if it's filled in the shoe is a narrow fitting, and if it's an outline it's regular.
Also all stock codes for narrow fittings end with 3"

So well worth looking at the sizing guides carefully before ordering in my opinion. Do not use the sizing info on Amazon as your only guide before buying, unless you want to run the risk of having to return them again. As on Amazon it said I should purchase the 41 not 40. Perhaps Birkenstock are just a little different than usual shoe sizes :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Birkenstocks, 8 April 2011
Absolutely love these the colour is great, only 1 piece of advice go a size smaller as they come quite large I also got the narrow and I would consider myself to have quite wide feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to choose correct size!!!, 23 Mar 2010
I write from continental Europe, and know very well Birkenstock, several guys said are too big...
In the past Birkenstock have 3 size:
1 Large
2 Regular
3 Narrow
And now have only 2 size:
1 Narrow
2 Reguar

Narrow is NOT Narrow, in fact it's like Regular, it's for ALL, here in my country the most common is narrow, several women style issued only in narrow.

Regular is NOT Regular, in fact it's Large, it's simple... Please choose Regular ONLY if you have very, very, large and robust/fat feet, or (the only exception) if you would to buy thong stile sandal like Gizeh, Birkenstock catalogue in my language describe the reason, thong style expand big toe during walking, and need Regular size, only women with very, very, narrow and slim feet who buy thong style sandal like Gizeh need the narrow size.

The only problem is, in some country the only size available is Regular.

I'm man i wear Birkenstock Madrid Narrow size 42, in the past i buy Regular 42 it's giant over 2 or 3 size up for me, on the big toe the space is over 5 cm, i have Regular 42 only for Gizeh, and the size is correct.

And also remember, for the correct size feet on Birkenstock need space, you have 0,5 cm on the front (big toe), and 0,5 cm on the back (heel), the reason is simple this avoid the feet ruin the border.

For the guys who said i have pain and blisters, Birkenstock are high quality shoes and foot need some days of training.

On official Birkenstock web site (.de) you found complete PDF catalogue in English/German/Netherlands.

Bye

5.0 out of 5 stars Young persons Review on Madrid Birkenstock Sandals, 3 July 2010
I purchased these two years ago in the summer for some comfortable sandals for my holiday. I coulden't love them more! They mould to your feet so quickly and look really good~! I'm now 16 and still love them so much, I'm thinking of purchasing more colours! Xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Birkenstocks, 29 Sep 2009
Great fit and the most comfortable sandals I own, which is why I have several pairs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Regular M is to big, 16 Feb 2012
Lova - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love Birkenstock Madrid and already have several pairs. The shop I got mines from several years ago only had them in one fitting, so I didn't know if they were regular or narrow. I then bought my regular size 38 in M from Amazon, and found out that it is to big, I have compared them to the ones I already have and it it is to wide at the space in front of the toes, and to big. I will have to return them and then buy the 38 in N, hoping that it will be the correct size. It is quite annoying as on the official Birkenstock website, they say that M is regular and N is narrow, in reality M is to wide and to big.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo comfortable - no blisters, 24 July 2014
I have hypermobile joints, and extremely flexible feet with high arches and as a result suffer from oot, ankle and hip pain. I always thought Birkenstocks weren't for me and thought of them as frumpy. However, with the new colours that are now available I thought I would give them a go - and bought a pair of orange ones! I was worried that the bioflor uppers wouldn't be very good as my feet also blister quite easily, and every Summer I sport a new set of blisters from different sandals.
When you first get these shoes, they feel odd and even uncomfortable as most people are not used to the raised arch support. However, after a couple of days I am now used to them and my foot seems to have bedded into the shoes. Due to my fitbit tracker, I also know that over the past two days I have walked 4 miles in them and there is not a single blister in sight. Furthermore they don't flop about on your feet like normal flip flops, but your feet feel very secure in them.
Regarding sizing I am a 7.5 and the 41 is perfect, and so it should be as 41 should be a 7.5, not a size 7 as most 41s now are. If you are unsure what size you should take, go to the Birkenstock website and check. I also have a narrow foot, but the regular fits just fine. I had to put an extra hole in the shoe for my left foot to enable the strap to hold my foot securely, but that wasn't a problem. The website states that 90% of people will fit into the regular width shoe, so unless you have REALLY narrow feet I suggest you stick with the regular. Remember that your feet are supposed to be able to spread out and they should not touch the sides, front or back.

5.0 out of 5 stars birkenstock, 25 Feb 2010
kaycee (edmonton, london) - See all my reviews
I bought a pair of Birkenstock Madrid and they are the best things I have purchased in a long time. Not only were they good value for money they are so so comfortable. I usally get pains in my feet and cannot walk without being in discomfort. Since I bought my birkenstocks all of that has changed. The sandals mould to your feet and it feels like you are walking on air. I will definately be ordering more colours to match my outfits.Birkenstock Women's Birkenstock Madrid

5.0 out of 5 stars Comment on Birkenstock width, 3 Aug 2011
I have to comment on Flavius review, concerning Birkenstock width:

I am a woman, petite, medium built. My feet are not particularly slim nor noticeable wide.
Contrary to what Flavius wrote, I find "Regular" Birkenstock width to be just "Regular": the right width for me.

Birkenstock mentions that the sandals are to be roomy and recommends that feet should fit completely inside the footbeds, even if they feel big on 1st try - only if your foot moves side to side when you walk and adjusting the strap does not help, you should go with narrow fitting.

If I would wear "Narrow" width, my feet would be pressed against the rim of the sandals - that would feel more similar to most of my other shoes, but the whole purpose here is to have footwear that is comfortable and can adapt to my shape, instaed of me adapting to the shoe shape. Please note that despite looking for comfortable shoes, I a am fashion conscious person and would not feel good if these would look unreasonably wide.

So, as always, your mileage may vary...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit!, 29 May 2014
Love these! After reading other reviews saying the width N was regular, I ordered 39N and they are a perfect fit (I have average width feet and normally wear a size 39/6). The silver colour is fantastic, quite matt in texture and they go with everything!! Great for popping on quickly while I run around after my three children!
Highly recommended.