4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted take on single life

Published on 12 Jun. 2011 by elmsyrup

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 12 Jun. 2011
elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the majority of this book, nothing much happens. Waverly's relationship breaks up, which is skimmed over very quickly. Waverly then spills things over herself a lot, goes on some bad dates (but not funny-bad, just boring), and writes her Honey Notes. Which are often neither amusing nor wise, eg: "What's worse than a really bad first date? Honey, realising you're out of ice cream when you get home", or "Scared to death by your clients? Honey, it's better than being scared to death by your unemployment officer". There wasn't any backstory to help me care about Waverly, and I found it impossible to tell her friends or colleagues apart as they are given quips, but no personality.

Later on the plot starts moving, and by the end of the book Waverly has changed her life, but it all comes about easily, without conflict or excitement- and didn't affect me emotionally. She doesn't seem to develop much, except for some fairly trite insights about her father. There's a fake ending followed by a real one, which I found irritating as it seemed the author was trying to have her cake and eat it.

I suppose that by not being particularly dramatic or amusing the book is quite true to life (except for the infallible luck Waverly seems to have), but that's not a lot of fun to read about. It's a super-quick and easy read but at the end I just found I hadn't been particularly entertained.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted take on single life, 28 Aug. 2011
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've only just recently started getting into the 'chick lit' genre and really enjoyed the humorous way in which the main character Waverly Bryson portrays the highs and lows of single life in San Francisco. After just being jilted at the altar and helped by her two best girly friends we see how Waverly adapts to the dating scene once again and how she copes with the change. She is a character with troubles that I think the average reader would be able to identify with, including relationship problems with her father and a job that is far from perfect. Waverly uses her quirky humour, to start a pipe dream of greeting cards to remind us that, with the downs of single life, you are not alone, and that perhaps life never really turns out how you planned it. I haven't read a narrative which is told through a humorous way before and I found it refreshing, albeit the ending was a little predictable, I ended up feeling glad, because the characters were so likeable, and every girl could probably find one way or another to relate. Great if you wanted something to cheer you up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read, 6 Jan. 2012
I have always read chick-lit and this is one of the best. Waverley Bryson is a great character and represents a little of all women who have ever been in love, wanted to be in love, had their heart broken, hated their job, not known where they are going in life, pretty much a glimpse of my life (or at least parts of it) in a book. Maria Murnane has a great way of making you feel like you know Waverley and want to be friends with her, you might even already be friends with a 'Waverley'. I like that it doesn't always focus on any particular thing too much. When she finally meets someone you know she should be with, Waverley isn't always aware of that and I like that because it isn't focussed purely on the love happy ending part. I absolutely love the Honey Notes idea and only wished I had come up with the idea first.
A truly fabulous book, look up Maria Murnane and how she got Waverley to the world, a truly inspirational author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted chick-lit, 23 Aug. 2011
Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy read with funny and likeable characters. A good mix of characters, this is a nice quick easy read ideal for holidays or the beach. I'm not sure about the ending myself but a good escapist read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious on Paper., 23 Jun. 2011
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perfect on Paper was a funny and light-hearted read. Maria Muranane's portrayal of Waverly Bryson was truly hilarious and very entertaining. After virtually being left at the altar by her would be Mr Perfect, Waverly is left to battle through the no man's land that is the dating world. Luckily, she has her best friends McKenna and Andie to help her through her ordeals, (well maybe more laugh her through) and ford her way through the losers, jerks and just general mishaps that show-up to take her out.

Perfect on Paper is one of those books that remind us that sometimes what we wanted and planned for ourselves isn't always what would have been best for us. Life has a funny way of giving us exactly what we need at the expense of what we want. Life happens, and when we least expect it love happens. Overall I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend that anybody who would like to take some time to escape the drudges of life with the (mis)adventures of Waverly Bryson, should most definitely do so.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Girlie Lit, 2 Dec. 2011
Dobsew (Colchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect on Paper (The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Waverly Bryson is not the luckiest female when it comes to relationships. It doesn't matter what type of relationship it is, she has issues and as she approaches 30 she soon realises that there is only one person who can make her life better and make her happy and that's herself.

This book is the journey of Waverly's discovery to happiness and with the help of her friends, work colleagues and dates, she sets out to be a success and make her dreams come true.

This is a fun, witty well written book that will appeal to all those female readers who are career singletons as well as those who remember what its like to be single and wanting to find happiness. The connection between the three best friends since college is very tight and the way they pick holes in each other is just priceless. It is easy to pick a scene in the book and picture yourself in the same situation. There are plenty of funny antidotes that will touch any reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the girls, 1 Jun. 2011
Ginger "Crazy Curry" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
While I am not one for "Chick Flicks" I did enjoy reading this book which would really appeal to those who do watch such movies. The book starts off with the main character planning the perfect wedding day while her two closest friends are with her. It changes dramatically but the friends are with her throughout the storyline and the reader gets to know about their loves and lives.Parts are funny while others are sad, the relationship between the main character and her father is very well described and complicated yet many readers will identify with their feelings. The whole book is an enjoyable read, it proves how we can all make judgement calls on others while not really knowing the person well enough to do that. The writer does a good job of drawing the reader into the story from the very start and there are a few surprising twists and turns. In my opinion i`t`s a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rom-com just perfect for the beach!, 21 May 2008
Girls, meet Waverly Bryson, an almost 30 something with high expectations of how life and love should be. The novel opens with Waverly being jilted by her perfect fiance just two weeks before her perfect wedding, from there we are thrown into Waverly's life - from her job in sports PR, to her relationships with her best friends Andie and McKenna, and her search for Mr Right - which involves many cringe-worthy yet entertaining dates.

This book is comfortable and funny and the characters are likable - the kind of girls you'd like to hang out with on a Sunday afternoon. It has the perfect balance of humour and romance - without being overly trashy or slushy! It's chick lit that would be great for the beach - and I could see it hitting the big screen as a fabulous girly chick flick too.

Be sure to add it to your holiday reading list.

3.0 out of 5 stars perfect on paper, 26 Aug. 2011
Helen Lore Zetter "helen zetter" (wisboroughgreen w.susex u.k.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a Very American 'Chick-let' book.It is well written if you like that sort of thing.It is a speedy read,ideal for a holiday book.Certainly it gives one an idea how life goes on in the States,from their habits of going out to breakfast rather than getting something at home,to their general life style.There are a few quite interesting descriptions of San Francisco right down to the climate being so different to California proper.Personally I feel the book is written for the American market by an American lady,but being a chatty novel I really don't think that matters too much.At first I thought,oh dear I don't think I will be able to read this,it is all feeling too sorry for itself,but I did persevere,and I somehow managed to see the girls point of view.It all starts out sad,but as most good fairy tales ends up happyly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done Amazon for bringing it back, 30 May 2011
Thinker - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book, it was as I expected from the product description, a comedy book about a single girl looking for love, unlucky in love, and her job and the people she meets along the way.
I found it was an effortless book to read, easy to follow, easy to care, and set in San Francisco, set over the course of about a year it took you through the city and seasons a little too which I found nice.
The main character Waverly was likeable and self depreciating, she learnt a lot over the year of the book and the book is definitely a dating type book.
The book is peppered with 'honey notes' - Waverly writes them for a hobby, i found them a bit of a mixed bag - some good some bad, and things got a bit 'to good to be true' near the end but i am a sucker for a happy ending.
I really enjoyed it.