4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted take on single life

Published on 12 Jun. 2011 by elmsyrup

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 12 Jun. 2011
elmsyrup (Cardiff, Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the majority of this book, nothing much happens. Waverly's relationship breaks up, which is skimmed over very quickly. Waverly then spills things over herself a lot, goes on some bad dates (but not funny-bad, just boring), and writes her Honey Notes. Which are often neither amusing nor wise, eg: "What's worse than a really bad first date? Honey, realising you're out of ice cream when you get home", or "Scared to death by your clients? Honey, it's better than being scared to death by your unemployment officer". There wasn't any backstory to help me care about Waverly, and I found it impossible to tell her friends or colleagues apart as they are given quips, but no personality.

Later on the plot starts moving, and by the end of the book Waverly has changed her life, but it all comes about easily, without conflict or excitement- and didn't affect me emotionally. She doesn't seem to develop much, except for some fairly trite insights about her father. There's a fake ending followed by a real one, which I found irritating as it seemed the author was trying to have her cake and eat it.

I suppose that by not being particularly dramatic or amusing the book is quite true to life (except for the infallible luck Waverly seems to have), but that's not a lot of fun to read about. It's a super-quick and easy read but at the end I just found I hadn't been particularly entertained.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted take on single life, 28 Aug. 2011
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've only just recently started getting into the 'chick lit' genre and really enjoyed the humorous way in which the main character Waverly Bryson portrays the highs and lows of single life in San Francisco. After just being jilted at the altar and helped by her two best girly friends we see how Waverly adapts to the dating scene once again and how she copes with the change. She is a character with troubles that I think the average reader would be able to identify with, including relationship problems with her father and a job that is far from perfect. Waverly uses her quirky humour, to start a pipe dream of greeting cards to remind us that, with the downs of single life, you are not alone, and that perhaps life never really turns out how you planned it. I haven't read a narrative which is told through a humorous way before and I found it refreshing, albeit the ending was a little predictable, I ended up feeling glad, because the characters were so likeable, and every girl could probably find one way or another to relate. Great if you wanted something to cheer you up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read, 6 Jan. 2012
I have always read chick-lit and this is one of the best. Waverley Bryson is a great character and represents a little of all women who have ever been in love, wanted to be in love, had their heart broken, hated their job, not known where they are going in life, pretty much a glimpse of my life (or at least parts of it) in a book. Maria Murnane has a great way of making you feel like you know Waverley and want to be friends with her, you might even already be friends with a 'Waverley'. I like that it doesn't always focus on any particular thing too much. When she finally meets someone you know she should be with, Waverley isn't always aware of that and I like that because it isn't focussed purely on the love happy ending part. I absolutely love the Honey Notes idea and only wished I had come up with the idea first.
A truly fabulous book, look up Maria Murnane and how she got Waverley to the world, a truly inspirational author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted chick-lit, 23 Aug. 2011
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy read with funny and likeable characters. A good mix of characters, this is a nice quick easy read ideal for holidays or the beach. I'm not sure about the ending myself but a good escapist read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious on Paper., 23 Jun. 2011
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perfect on Paper was a funny and light-hearted read. Maria Muranane's portrayal of Waverly Bryson was truly hilarious and very entertaining. After virtually being left at the altar by her would be Mr Perfect, Waverly is left to battle through the no man's land that is the dating world. Luckily, she has her best friends McKenna and Andie to help her through her ordeals, (well maybe more laugh her through) and ford her way through the losers, jerks and just general mishaps that show-up to take her out.

Perfect on Paper is one of those books that remind us that sometimes what we wanted and planned for ourselves isn't always what would have been best for us. Life has a funny way of giving us exactly what we need at the expense of what we want. Life happens, and when we least expect it love happens. Overall I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend that anybody who would like to take some time to escape the drudges of life with the (mis)adventures of Waverly Bryson, should most definitely do so.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Perfect on Paper (The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Predictable nonsense. The main character is annoying in the extreme. I only finished it to try and find a redeeming feature. I failed!

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 9 Nov. 2013
really enjoyed this book, it was a great holiday read by the pool , didn't want to put the book down once I started to read it

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent chick lit read, 30 Oct. 2013
A real feel good read excellent chick lit you just want to keep reading to see what is going to happen

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 2 Oct. 2013
I found this book an enjoyable read and would recommend it for anyone who looks for a light,easy to follow story line

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 Aug. 2013
This book, in fact the whole series of Waverley's life, is for you if you want a good page turning, very easy reading story which you can fall in to.
Every time I get to the end of each book I'm disappointed and can't wait to get to start the next!