4.0 out of 5 stars Buzzes a bit, but still a good lamp
The lamp is beautiful, as shown in the picture so this shouldn't bring any surprises. The dimmers - which are the reason I got this type of lamp in the first place - work great, so you can set exactly the amount of light you need.

Published on 18 Feb. 2011 by Popescu

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed :-(
Published 18 months ago by K

4.0 out of 5 stars Buzzes a bit, but still a good lamp, 18 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Mother And Child Floor Lamp With A Satin Brass Finish (Kitchen & Home)

The only thing that bothers me about it is the constant buzzing produced by the bigger of the two lights (the one facing the ceiling) - this only goes away if you set it to maximum brightness, which of course you won't do very often since it is *really* bright. I know this buzzing sound is a classical problem with this type of dimmer-controlled lamps, however I would have expected a fix to be found in the meantime, therefore product rating drops from 5 to 4 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed :-(, 3 Oct. 2013
K "Keen user of audiobooks" (Lockerbie, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My husband bought two of these lamps and they duly arrived as promised. They proved pretty straight-forward to assemble, and once connected, gave a lovely light and really brightened up our living room. At that point, I was extremely pleased with the product. But after a couple of months, first one, then the other of the uplights stopped working. When it happened to the first one, we assumed it was the bulb and bought replacement one (not cheap). When this didn't work, we bought a replacement fuse, in case the fuse behind the switches was for the uplight only. This didn't work either. My husband then contacted the seller who promised to replace the lamps - after several weeks, we were told that they couldn't source new ones. We have now given up and will be returning both lamps. When looking for new lamps online, I've discovered that this lamp is widely available, including from Argos, and can't find anyone who charges the claimed £108 original price the seller claims the lamps are worth - most prices seem to fall in the mid-40s. So if anyone is desperate to have one of these lights, please shop around online before automatically ordering through Amazon - there are plenty out there. But frankly I wouldn't give this lamp houseroom, since a faulty metal lamp is an accident waiting to happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent purchase, 11 Jan. 2012
Fantastic product reasonably priced fast delivery prior to christmas
great item.certainly recommend using Amazon just amazing.there isnt anthing else that can be said for this value for money item

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 25 Nov. 2012
a good lamp at a very reasonable price. Main light gives plenty of light in a large room and reading light does not disturb others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good light, 8 Aug. 2013
I bought it for my parents, they were really pleased with it. The light it produces is a good bright white light which is not harsh on the eyes. The smaller light is perfect for reading, sewing etc.

Really good quality, easy to put together. Delivered really quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, 31 Mar. 2013
This lamp is great we had one before this but was not able to change the bulb in the main light because of the fittings but this one is sprung so no problems with this in the future,the bulb that is in and supplied will last 3 years before replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combination lamp, 15 Feb. 2013
Was looking primarily for a reading lamp as the lounge in our new house has no bright overhead light.
Looked at all sorts of lamps on line but kept coming back to this one and basically the great reviews it was getting decided us.
The reviews were all correct - the instructions are not very clear. I'm quite technical and can follow a good set of instructions but found myself having to retrace my steps at one point because I hadn't noticed a line of instruction. If you are assembling it on your own, you'll need a clear carpeted floor or rugs/ padding to protect the finish of both floor and light whilst you put it together. It took me about 30 minutes.
It's a brilliant lamp - the uplighter can illuminate the entire room easily - this on a room with a dark, vaulted wooden ceiling - on a room with a low, light coloured ceiling it would be very bright indeed. the uplighter also has a downlight element as well so you don't even necessarily need to use the reading lamp if you don't need to but it works well also.

We are slightly concerned about the energy usage of the uplighter - 230W halogens are very power hungry - but dimmed it will use less energy and I have found at least one supplier of an LED based low energy replacement so when the lamp fails I may well investigate that option.

We also bought it from Amazon Warehouse so it was a previously returned item. It arrived exactly as described (like new) and the price saving was substantial.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and easy to assemble., 18 Mar. 2013
This lamp is a replacement for a similar model which was over 7 years old - the reostat failed on the ceiling light switch so I needed another lamp. This was about 1/2 the price of similar lamps from other suppliers.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad product, 20 Mar. 2013
This is the worst mother and floor lamp I ever bought - and I had several since the seem to have a tendency to break after a while. The lamp arrived wrapped in plastic to cover the damaged box. The two dimmer switches, made of cheap plastic, had already broken off and were lying in the box. Overall very cheaply made. The only plus is that they reimbursed me after my complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's everything I wanted from a lamp, 20 Jan. 2013
The lamp looks good and the two alternatives - a reading light and an uplighter - both perform perfectly.
The lights are more than adequate and the uplighter, in particular, is very bright so the dimmer is in constant use.
There is no 'buzzing' when the dimmer is in operation, as mentioned in an early review.
I would recommend it.