5.0 out of 5 stars WOW
Published on 12 Oct 2010 by sunny

3.0 out of 5 stars it ok
this is ok but i found it sometime the wireless was hard to conncet to it i would look around first
Published 14 months ago by D R White

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Buffalo AirStation Wireless-N 300Mbps Cable Router with 4 Port Switch (Personal Computers)
This router is incredible!! Previously i had a netgear router that was nearing the end of its working life, with a reboot needed everyday. I am on virgin, and since you need a cable router for that, it narrowed down the search options a little. Not being a massive computer know-it-all, i didn't know fully why i needed a cable router, and for all the people who don't know a lot about computers like me, a cable router is when the internet connection is plugged into the router via an Ethernet port.
Now, about the router speed and coverage, it is unbelievable compared to my old router.
With this router, in my house, upstairs, i only used to get about 3 Mb/s and that was always fluctuating, but this was my full network speeds - 10Mb/s all over the house. Thoroughly chuffed with this product and i would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reliable router, 23 Oct 2010
I've had this cable router for around a month now and so far it has worked very well. It seems to give a reasonable wireless coverage, and the connection either wired (over ethernet) or wireless never loses the connection. And the Buffalo has never unexpectedly dropped the PPPoE (cable) connection at any time - which has meant a nice stable 'always on' internet connection.

The web-based interface is user friendly (with integrated help and explanation of configuration options) and appears to have all of the features I require. This Buffalo router has DMZ (good for online gaming) and the IP address to put in the DMZ can be permanently assigned on the router to your console (Services->Static Leases).

The router also records your broadband usage so for people with a limit on how much then can download each month (say 40GB for example) you can keep on eye on monthly download limits (information divided into days, weeks, months, years in MBytes). The only problem I've found with this feature is that if you switch your router off at night the router does lose some of the bandwidth usage information. This is only a minor quibble and doesn't affect router performance.

Please note that the signal boost feature on this router only works for wireless N and not Wireless G.

The only problem I've had with this router is that every night around midnight the router would lose the internet connection throwing me out of online games. This was easily resolved on the router Web Configuration 'Setup' page by changing the 'Force Reconnect' from 'enabled' to 'disabled'. Previously this feature when enabled was forcing the router to resync with my ISP at midnight every night. Doh!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, excellent UK support, 12 Nov 2010
R. Bradley (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I chose this router on the basis of user reviews on Amazon, having originally been intending to go for Netgear, as recommended by my ISP, or Linksys, and been put off by reports of unreliability and unhelpful help lines.
I ran into some problems installing this, but as I've never even used a wireless router before, let alone installed one, I'm probably not typical. On the other hand, the BT engineer who installed my FTTC connection couldn't work it out either.
The very brief printed initial setup instructions that come with the router suggest over-writing the pre-installed DD-WRT firmware with what they call "user friendly firmware" using a setup wizard on the supplied CD, but I was unable to do this. The "Change Firmware" option just didn't work. I therefore needed the username and password for the DD-WRT firmware setup. Surely Buffalo should print this information in the initial setup instructions?
Luckily Buffalo technical support have UK telephone help staff who were extremely efficient and they soon got me connected by LAN cable.
I then found I couldn't set up a wireless connection. I feared the worst after Googling for information and finding that HP Pavilions went through a nightmare phase of hardware-related wireless networking problems. When I went back to the long-suffering Buffalo helpline they were inclined to blame my computer as well, but I borrowed a friend's new (non-HP) laptop and it wouldn't connect either. After working with Buffalo's technician it turned out to be a combination of Windows WZC not being correctly configured in my Windows XP, and me having turned off SSID broadcast because I thought that was the secure thing to do. Also my elderly HP Pavilion with a Broadcom 802.11b/g adapter wasn't happy with WPA2 (but accepted WPA security).
If you're thinking all this is obvious stuff then you'll probably find setting up this router a doddle. If you're a plug and play type, expect to call on Buffalo for help. But at least they do, unlike some other manufacturers.
It's only been working for a few hours so I can't comment on reliability.
Incidentally, it's much smaller and neater than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great AP, 28 Sep 2010
I have bought it few weeks ago. I had few problems that i thought first were with the router. It appeared it was with the network. Anyway.. I could have put a great router as title but since i have only used it so far as an access point i can't talk about the router function. I used it for 2 laptops which use 802.11g wireless card. One use Ubuntu and the other XP. And it works great! The wireless goes over 25m through 3 concrete walls (2X20cm and one of about 10cm thick). Of course the signal is not 54mb/s anymore but about 36mb/s which is not that bad. I haven't test the 802.11n yet since i don't have anything that can receive it. Probably later on. The installation can be done with the CD that works only on Windows or directly through the router's setting with Windows or Ubuntu. I'm not an network expert and I success in making it work without the CD. In the box there are 2 plug one for UK (type G) and the other one for the rest of EU (type C). By the way, this is no modem.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, 17 Dec 2010
T. Morgan (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I haven't had to use the customer support so I can't comment on that but it does have a really good batch of settings and is easy to use (if you're a little bit clued up on networking)

Of course, be aware it isn't an ADSL MODEM ROUTER, mainly because it doesn't say that it's an ADSL MODEM ROUTER... it quite clearly says CABLE ROUTER... maybe some people assume a router is a router, but that's like saying BBQ sauce and Tomato Sauce are the same thing, because they're both called sauce... you wouldn't complain about the BBQ sauce because you expected it to be ketchup..

Works fine, maintains a better connection that my netgear ADSL MODEM ROUTER, which I was using with my ADSL connection before upgrading to Fibre..

It's a shame about the 1 star comments, as, admittedly by themselves, they are not reviewing the product, they are reviewing their ability to shop.. which I agree.. 1 star there people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 16 Dec 2010
Brilliant router. I am permanently across the street (router in relative's house) and get 3/5 bar reception and very good download speeds (on virgin media)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal VPN Client, 23 Sep 2011
I got this for one reason only...to watch US TV services online, from Europe.
I signed up for a pptp VPN account, put the details into this. Plugged this into a spare port on my ADSL modem/router, and now have a second Wi-Fi network in the house. Connect AppleTV to that and Bingo!
The DD-WRT firmware is comprehensive, and therefore not easy, but that is what makes this router so useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and useful little router, 24 Nov 2010
N. D. Ashfield (Birmingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This unit was easy to install and performs very well. The instructions are in a pdf file, but when you install the minidisc you can select options from the on-screen displays without consulting the instructions. It was not always immediately obvious what are the best options to select, and you need to be aware there are serial numbers on the outside of the packaging box and also on the Airstation itself which have to be entered into the appropriate boxes in the system during setup. Don't confuse them!

Your computers can be linked either by wifi or cable, which is very useful, but Buffalo likes to be told which system each computer prefers for its connection. At first wifi connection frequently went down and then the link would be continually retored again, but the system seems to have settled down now and satisfactorily powers the internet on a computer buried in the depths of the house some distance away, even though the signal strength message registers there as "poor". Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the Router., 8 Jan 2011
Slick functional and as yet i don't have a problem with it. Reaches all parts of the house with ease and haven't lost a signal as yet. Connected three laptops ipho...sorry smart phone and home computer and no problems at all. Fingers crossed. Read the comments about this router, one or two are irrelevant but none the same i read them. After a long delibiration, i must say they helped in making my decision, thanks guys. Overall the set-up was straight forward, no complicated factors unless your a complete technophob, in which case you may end up destroying said purchase because it does not compute.
All in all i find it decent, have not tested it on a gaming front but for everyday use, it gets the job done.

IT IS NOT A STAND ALONE ROUTER.

"be aware it isn't an ADSL MODEM ROUTER, mainly because it doesn't say that it's an ADSL MODEM ROUTER... it quite clearly says CABLE ROUTER..." by T Morgan

don't get it twisted people!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wireless router (cable/adsl), 17 Oct 2013
Bought this to replace my 8 year old belkin 54 router I am not techno head but this router ticks all the boxes:

Extends wi fi to all over our 3 bed semi whereas before it was not as strong.
Running 4 devices (iPad, iPhones and Xbox) and that's not including two sky boxes with no cut outs so far.

Also looks the part and not too big overall great price and we'll worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›