5.0 out of 5 stars A quick, easy and portable bilingual dictionary
I'm taking AS level French at the moment and the accessibility of all the words in this dictionary is a godsend. When I want to find translations of English or French words, it is much quicker to use an electronic dictionary than fumble through a paperback. Especially when the electronic dictionary is only the size

Also, after searching for a word, it will give...
Published on 16 April 2010 by A. Ryder

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable performance
I have to say I am a little disappointed, but perhaps I was expecting too much.
I have had an old fashoined Collins Robert dictionary for about 20 years and, given the cost and my somewhat naive confidence in new technology, I hoped that the Franklin dictionary would be a good, quicker replacement.
It is fine for most day to day translation purposes but, if you...
Published on 26 Jun. 2011 by francophile

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick, easy and portable bilingual dictionary, 16 April 2010
A. Ryder (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)

Also, after searching for a word, it will give you all the information that you would find in a good, non-electronic dictionary: e.g. word type; examples of how the word can be used; and the most important for me, pronounciation in written form. Another useful feature is the ability to highlight the words in the dictionary entries; you can use this feature to quickly translate any unfamiliar words that you find after a translation.

I was struggling on which electronic translator I should buy, eventually I decided on this one because it contained more words than some of the other translators that I checked. I'm glad that I've got this product now, but there are two minor problems that I have with it.
Firstly, the keyboard is an AZERTY keyboard, like the ones that they have in France rather than the QWERTY keyboard that I'm used to. Secondly, the directional keypad is a little difficult to handle sometimes, and this is because it's just one large button with the arrows on the edge, which sometimes causes me to press two buttons or the wrong button completely when scrolling through an entry.

However I would still thoroughly recommend this product because it does exactly what it's supposed to do efficiently - it is well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars The more you use it the better it gets., 31 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
A quick update on this purchase. After 3 months, the unit's screen developed three horizontal lines which made it pretty unusable. I returned it to Franklin who got a replacement in the post to me within the week. So even when it goes wrong, things get sorted.
--------------

When I first got the 570 I was a little disappointed. I didn't think it was as good as its predecessor. But once you learn its little wrinkles, it is actually very good.

A decent mid range dictionary, the 570 is everything the other reviewers have said about it.

Additionally, it has a 'hand friendly' shape, weight and size, a nice keyboard, and above all - it's thin. It fits into the front pocket of an average shirt without leaving too big a bulge.

If you do buy it, here are a three tips -

1) Try switching to small characters (accessed under MENU). Thanks to the way the parent dictionary is set out, it is often only on the fourth line that the translated word actually appears. So with three lines on the screen you have to scroll down. Small characters give you four lines. They are all capitals (not ideal) - but in this sort of dictionary four lines are definitely better than three.

2) Don't let the Franklin logo hold you up on switch on. Press the 'on' key twice and the dictionary goes straight to the translation page. (If you are watching French TV, it matters.)

3) If you find you have started a hopeless search for a translation, press the EFF key. That removes the entry and allows you to try again.

The 570 is targeted primarily at French speakers wanting an English dictionary. For example, the thesaurus is in English only. You can find similes and antonyms for French words, but you have to go through English to get them. That's a pity - given that Franklin has offered a French thesaurus in its 470 'French Only' dictionary for a long time.

I don't know yet whether the switch to two batteries is a good idea or not. This one's batteries failed after three weeks' pretty heavy use - probably down to poor batteries rather than the unit itself. We'll see. (The single battery on my old Franklin lasted around a year). The moral is, get spares - and have some way of dealing with the horrible little screw on the battery cover if it goes dead away from home.

Were I a native French speaker, the 570 might well have got the full five stars.
It's a very good device for the money - but do play with the settings to get them right. With a bit of tweaking it is even more user friendly that it first appears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
I was extremely pleased with this dictionary. It is light and much faster than using a book. However, I searched everywhere to find out if it does both French - English and English to French - even went on the Franklin website and nothing there. I'm pleased to say it does. I speak reasonably good French but there are still many words I don't know. Took it to France recently and carried around - great benefit to my understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you need detailed French...Buy this, 21 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
I bought this before presenting a management course in French (but with aN INTERPRETER.) I needed to have instant and esey portable access to French words in the Larousse context. This product was excellent. I thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Franklin Translator, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
I have an older version of the translator that I love. The new design is better and the synonym feature is a great help. Good product, a liitle bit fiddly to open but worth the money,

5.0 out of 5 stars superb item, 27 April 2010
Mr. Robert Burton (marsais, france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
i bought this translator after reading the other reviews. it is a superb product which has not let me down when i am reading a french book. well made without the lid problem of the previous model. good size keys, easy to use and i had no trouble using the AZERTY keyboard. i highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Franklin French/English Translator, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
An excellent value for money product. Its most useful feature is that one can translate from both French to English and the reverse. Along with all the alternative words, phrases in common use are given too. Another feature that can be programmed in is that a random French word can be made to appear on opening the translator which is a useful reminder and often entertaining. Handy, pocket sized with easy controls, you just need to be aware of the french key labels! English instructions are provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must.., 13 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
I invested in this just before I went on my year abroad knowing I couldn't take my whopping French/English dictionnary with me and it was well worth the money. It's perfect for travelling and offers many examples for how to use the word with each translation. Great when reading french books too, as it saves so much time when you have to look up the odd word here and there. Really easy to use and comes with games to help pratise the language too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable performance, 26 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
I have to say I am a little disappointed, but perhaps I was expecting too much.
It is fine for most day to day translation purposes but, if you are a fairly serious student, it doesn't do the job of a big dictionnary.
Today, watching the news I found it didn't have the french word for 'plundering' and translated the french word, 'machination' simply as 'machination' omitting 'plot' and 'frame up'.
Having said that, it is very portable and I will be taking it to Paris with me in a few weeks' time, where it will be extremely useful and certainly better than carrying around a heavy book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Franklin french-english dictionary, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Franklin French to English Dictionary (Office Product)
Instructions are good. Have found one or two words that it can't translate, but to be fair those words are very "modern" and possibly classified as slang! All in all a good tool to have in your pocket. Especially good when reading in bed as it is so much lighter than a book dictionary and also in the pocket for every day use! Only wish the screen could be bigger but then the whole thing would be bigger and that would defeat the object of the operation....as it were.