5.0 out of 5 stars Very depressing for this American

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped for
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by Colin Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Very depressing for this American, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
These are so enjoyable that as an American I'm depressed when I contemplate the mostly inferior products we see in the U.S. No, I'm not being snooty or am I a college sophomore being, uh, sophomoric. I just love (most of) these plays and am back on this site to see if others are available. So what's the difference here? The scripts, the textures, the assumed intelligence of the audience, the absence of cheap effects or over-the-top acting -- in fact, the great skills of these British actors -- and in general the solid feeling in your stomach after watching, as opposed to the American tele-plays that make you feel like you just dined on candy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped for, 20 Oct 2011
Colin Smith (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
As an avid fan of 60's/70's TV in general, I've come across the great, the good and the not-so good. Having no real memories of it (I was born in 1960) I gleefully snapped this up, hoping for a combination of entertaining drama and witty humour from this collection of eight plays from the early 70's. My excitement soon turned to disappointment as I waded through them. While acknowledging that the performances from the impressive collection of guest stars are good, the disappointment for me lay in most of the stories and scripts. While I respect the opinions of those who regard Armchair Theatre as 'thought-provoking drama' etc, I found this particular collection to be mostly heavy-going and sometimes pretty awful.

Before giving my opinion of the plays, I will give you a bit of info about the discs themselves. For a start, each play is around 50 minutes long, picture quality is generally OK although grainy in places, with the odd glitch. The sound is OK, there are no extras or subtitles. An episode synopsis is featured on the inside of the DVD case, which I have included below....

*SAY GOODNIGHT TO YOUR GRANDMA - When Tony goes home with his wife and baby, Nana has everything planned. A party... all the lads...just like old times. But Tony's wife Jean has other ideas. After all, a man can't be run by two women, and Jean believes Tony is all hers.
Starring Colin Welland, Susan Jameson, Duggie Brown and Mona Bruce.
SUMMARY: The simmering hatred between daughter in-law Susan Jameson and mother in-law Madge Ryan reaches boiling point during a party. Colin Welland stars as the wimpish husband caught in the crossfire. VERDICT: Not bad, but nothing special. 6/10.

*OFFICE PARTY - On his last day at the bank, retiring manager Dickie is given a party by the staff. But there are other things to worry about - especially for Julia and Paul, whose own futures are far from certain.
Starring Peter Barkworth, Ray Brooks, Peter Denyer, George A. Cooper and Angharad Rees.
SUMMARY: Sexy secretary Angharad Rees discovers she's pregnant just before an office party. I thought that some of the dialogue at the party was dire. The only point of interest for me was the all-too brief glimpses of Ms Rees' lovely pins, this is one party I wouldn't want an invite to. VERDICT: awful. 2/10.

*BROWN SKIN GAL, STAY HOME AND MIND BAY-BEE - Ruth, a lonely divorcee, lets her basement room to Roger, a nervous, shy young man. Naturally people talk, but they have little idea of what is really going on, as the two attempt to bridge an unbridgeable gap.
Starring Billie Whitelaw, Donal McCann and Ann Firbank.
SUMMARY: Donal McCann takes a shine to Billie Whitelaw while she fantasises over him. The 'will they won't they' scenario was the only reason I hung around to see the outcome. A fairly mundane affair. VERDICT: 4/10.

*DETECTIVE WAITING - A simple ploy: find your man, and watch him until he cracks. Bringing about the downfall of underworld boss James Cummins becomes a personal quest for Detective Constable John Lewis, a young rookie CID officer. Cummins may be tough and have friends in high places, but he's never come up against a detective who lies in wait...
Starring Richard Beckinsale, Barry Lineham and Bryan Pringle.
SUMMARY: Fresh-faced Richard Beckinsale plays the CID officer out to break down Barry Lineham's underworld boss by basically camping on his doorstep in a car. The mind games eventually begin to get under the criminal's skin. Beckinsale proves he could easily cut it in a serious role, but the ending did leave me a little disappointed. VERDICT: OK. 6/10.

*WILL AMELIA QUINT CONTINUE WRITING 'A GNOME CALLED SHORTHOUSE'? - To millions, Amelia Quint is the writer of best-selling children's stories. But there is another side to the eccentric spinster's character - as her panic-stricken publisher discovers.
Starring Beryl Reid, Richard Vernon, Geoffrey Chater, Sheila Staefel and Sally Bazeley.
SUMMARY: Beryl Reid plays the author, with publisher Richard Vernon at loggerheads with the profitable spinster. With it's inane characters and witless dialogue, the whole sorry tale was a crashing bore from start to finish. VERDICT: dreadful. 2/10.

*THE FOLK SINGER - "I've been in the war, in the desert, and all through Sicily, but I ain't never come across anything quite so dangerous as Belfast. My nerves won't stand it."
Starring Tom Bell.
SUMMARY: Folk singer Tom Bell waxes lyrical to all and sundry amidst the troubles of early 70's Belfast. Set in a hotel, and accompanied by his band of merry men, the continual recitals become increasingly tiresome. Some of the later scenes were awful. Yet another waste of a good cast. VERDICT: woeful. 2/10.

*A BIT OF A LIFT - When they came to the hotel Alec, Frank and Penelope were strangers. A bedroom brings them together.
Starring Ronald Fraser, Ann Beach and Donald Churchill.
SUMMARY: A bit of a bedroom farce with Ronald Fraser planning an amorous liason with Ann Beach at a wedding reception. Things become complicated by the appearance of Donald Churchill at the same hotel. Fairly lightweight story, not exactly a laugh a minute either. VERDICT: mediocre fare. 5/10.

*RED RIDING HOOD - For Grace, haunted by secret fears, the regular visit to her aged grandmother turns into a terrifying nightmare. But are the macabre events in that strange house reality, or the imaginings of somebody close to a mental breakdown? Red Riding Hood was an innocent little girl who walked into danger and terror - but just how innocent is Grace?
Starring Rita Tushingham and Keith Barron.
SUMMARY: I was impressed by Ms Tushingham's edgy performance as Grace. A moody and atmospheric drama. For me, the pick of the collection. VERDICT: good. 8/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars How 70s!, 8 Jan 2014
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
It's great to look back at a milestone in television and these plays are very much of their time. Some of the themes would have been shocking forty-odd years ago, now they are quaint, but also draw attention to how attitudes have changed (or not, as the case may be).

As will so much vintage TV and film, everyone looks much older than their actual ages which is quite amusing, yet it is interesting to see some familiar faces in their prime.

There is some excellent acting, but also some very stylised and that is what really dates the pieces. There is some terrible acting here and there, too, but that we stil get today.

A great piece of nostalgia and interesting for what Armchair Theatre achieved, but perhaps not to the taste of the more modern viewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic, 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
There are some nostalgic memories here for anyone who remembers this series from the early 1970s! Features such actors/actresses as Tom Bell, Billie Whitelaw, Richard Beckinsale, Peter Barkworth, Rita Tushingham and Beryl Reid etc. (Most of whom are no longer with us) The DVD features programmes broadcast between 1970 and 1973. I thoroughly enjoyed this trip down Memory Lane and remembering some of these stories from when they were first transmitted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Although we bought this to reminisce and watch the superb cast - we were most disappointed. Maybe it's because of it's age (early 70's) or just the fact that the stories were a bit odd - I don't know, but we didn't really enjoy the acting or storylines in these plays. The only exception I suppose would be the stories featuring Colin Welland and Ronald Fraser. Overall we were quite pleased when we finished watching the whole DVD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Theatre, 17 Mar 2010
Mrs. B. Horner (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this series, full of atmosphere and nostalgia. Good acting from some of Britain's best actors

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Oct 2014
brill 10 out of 10

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jun 2010
Sarah Williams (Rainbow, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'll buy anything with Tom Bell in it, keeping it is something else. Except for one humorous episode of the man looking for his one stand lovely's room & seeing Tom walking around in bikini underwear the rest of the stories were awful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 DVD, 3 Mar 2010
A. Norris (Romford, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Depending on what you like this DVD could appeal to you. In most cases the palys are well written and are certainly well acted. features some well known stars.

Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD]
Armchair Theatre - Volume 1 [DVD] by Tom Bell (DVD - 2010)