5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album
It's interesting how Hot Chip have managed to progress into this album with acquiring a fuller more produced sound, but retaining the same eclectic originality of their earlier work. This Album is full of inspiring songs, which combine sometimes moving lyrics with a very inventive sound world with interesting harmonies and altogether a coherent musical journey. I have...
Published on 26 Mar 2010 by maximus

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-but not a bit repetitive
Love the band,
good album,but wa hoping for more of a progression from the last album.
A but tedious at times...unfortunately-but there are some
excellent high lights and worth it just for that.
Published on 5 Mar 2010 by The Spyridon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely discovery, 8 April 2010
Mrs. Elizabeth A. Shepherd (Bucks UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Life Stand (Digipack) (Audio CD)
I hadn't discovered Hot Chip before this album - I was intrigued by the reviews I'd seen in Metro/Evening Standard and took a chance. It's a delight - I'm listening to it at the moment. Every time I listen to it I hear something new and interesting. Tremendous fun and entertaining - lyrics are witty, touching, observant, and the music is full of interesting melodies, harmonies and rhythms - it's uplifting and life-affirming. Interesting use of instruments - I would never have expected steel drums to be so delicate. The album is on my computer, MP3 player, USB stick in my car and I'm listening to the CD on the home cinema - ie, it's everywhere! I'll have to get their back catalogue now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply there best to date. More of this please!!!!, 9 April 2010
A. J. Fisher - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Life Stand (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Love this album. Builds on their previous efforts. Now they are on the right track, More of this please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot S*** (rhymes with chip), 22 Jan 2010
J. Ball "Joshua Ball" (Valencia, ES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Life Stand (Digipack) (Audio CD)
I absolutely love Hot Chip. Essentially they are a group of geeks making electronic music for cool kids to groove to. On the first listen this album seems to be taking the band into a different direction. The first track "Thieves in the night" sounds like the love child of Depeche Mode and Erasure, in a good way. The second "Hand me down your love" is excellent. I'm not really sure why it hasn't been released as a single yet, perhaps in the future it will. It sounds like the drums from The Doves "Pounding" with an added piano sample and a strange squeaky voice randomly interjected. "I feel better" sadly sounds a bit like a Kanye West song with distorted vocals and a very tacky sounding strings sample, however, as the track goes on it resumes normal Hot Chip style and by the end of it I actually quite liked it! Other noteable tracks include "We have love" which includes some more squeaky vocals but has a killer dubstepesque quality to it, in fact it is my favourite so far, and "Take it in" which is the next single.

This album is general is a lot more 80's alternative electronic inspired. Think Depeche Mode, Adamski, Bronski Beat. It is a different sound for Hot Chip, other influences to the album seem to be Basement Jaxx and The Chemical Brothers. Some of the tracks even sound a bit "Housey". They have however, remained extremely inovative and still one of the most exciting British electronic acts around. I recommend a listen if you liked their previous albums but perhaps listen to their earlier work if you are new to them.

Good effort!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and wet, 13 April 2010
This review is from: One Life Stand (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Sorry to interrupt the love-in that's broken out here, but this album is just, well, dull and wet. Liked The Warning, read the reviews here (damn you, Amazon reviewers!) so got this, but it lacks bite, witters on, and is just plain boring. If you like early New Order, listen to early New order, and if you like 80s disco, go to it. Nothing to detain you here!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Life Stand (Digipack)
One Life Stand (Digipack) by Hot Chip (Audio CD - 2010)