Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 February 2010
Hot Chip's latest is so loved up you wonder if the release to coincide with Valentines Day was deliberate. Full of declarations of devotion and celebrations of the redemptive power of love, it's completely unashamed of it's amorous intentions. And, as the title suggests, we're talking long term commitment here, rather than sex that's on fire. Hot Chip have taken New Order's lament that, "It's called love, and somehow it's become unmentionable" and taken it upon themselves to do something about it.

Goddard and Taylor would seem to be more contented men, and this reflected in a more relaxed vibe in the music. Wheras previous album Made In The Dark had a slightly ADD quality, here the boys find a groove they like and run with it. The sound is considerably more restrained than MITD's electro bric-a-brac attack, built on gentle synths pretty much throughout.

This has it's pros and cons; while resulting in a more cohesive piece of work, I must confess to slightly drifting off at times when I'm listening to the whole thing through, something which was practically impossible with their previous two album's heavier keyboard riffs and ever changing mish mash of styles.

The band's magpie tendencies haven't been completely dispensed with. Slush has a sweet doo-wop feel, wheras We Have Love does offer harder edged club beats, and these prove some of the album's most arresting moments. Amongst the bang and clatter of Hand Me Down Your Love's live piano and drums is a weird, almost eurodisco vocal sample that works surprisingly well.

Towering above all this is the title track, an addictive, perfect slice of pop to equal Over and Over and Ready For The Floor that proves the band as continued pop alchemists. Mostly though, and appropriately given the subject matter, this is an album that demands and rewards a more lasting commitment.
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2010
Im overwhelmed by this , it really is gorgeous to listen to. Quite a poppy 80s feel but loads of little touches, tweaks and harmonies with some icy minor keys. If Depeche were starting out now they would sound like this thats how good it is!! Hot Chip seem like Grown men dancing an singing like wee boys on a sunny day! Lots of fantastic chord changes with some stand out tracks 'Take It In', 'One Life Stand' and 'Thieves In The Night'.
on 16 September 2013
Such a brilliant album - great to get you through the day. Really enjoyable listening - highly recommended to all.
on 2 June 2012
As the title says, "I tried" to listen and give it a chance over a couple of weeks but i have to say Hot Chip are not for me.
on 23 October 2013
Never having heard anything from this band but reading good reviews I decided to buy this one. And even though it's not excellent , the music is well worth listening to. Nicely crafted pop songs with a touch of electronics.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 November 2015
Another brilliant set of tracks from Hot Chip. Great Uplifting Album!
on 28 December 2015
Great stocking filler for my other half
I hadn't discovered Hot Chip before this album - I was intrigued by the reviews I'd seen in Metro/Evening Standard and took a chance. It's a delight - I'm listening to it at the moment. Every time I listen to it I hear something new and interesting. Tremendous fun and entertaining - lyrics are witty, touching, observant, and the music is full of interesting melodies, harmonies and rhythms - it's uplifting and life-affirming. Interesting use of instruments - I would never have expected steel drums to be so delicate. The album is on my computer, MP3 player, USB stick in my car and I'm listening to the CD on the home cinema - ie, it's everywhere! I'll have to get their back catalogue now.
on 3 December 2015
Great music from a great band.
on 11 February 2015
Still an excellent album.