5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt
Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by phjhervey

3.0 out of 5 stars No presentation box??
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Fanatic!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt, 15 Dec. 2011
Forget the above. This is an Islay malt and so it is peaty. It is the most distinctive of this distinctive group and possibly not for those who favor the lighter styles from elsewhere. It is the connoisseur's malt. It is not bitter if anything slightly sweet and in complexity and development of flavour it has no equal. It is not cheap but then the standard release is 16 years old. As with most other malts and cars the base model is the best value. This is the whisky God drinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A drop of the good stuff, 17 Aug. 2012
When people say a drop of the good stuff, this is what they are talking about. The aromatic smell of dark oak and berries with only a hint smoke so not to mask it's complexity.
When drinking the 1st sip is of bitter lemons with a hint of fudge. However let it slide down and think of that as the head!

The 2nd and subsequent sips are altogether different. The fudge and dark mellow flavours come through in abundance with no hint of the the bitterness of the 1st sip. And so it will go on like this till your session has ended. Each sip seems to increase the complexity. Once finished after a few minutes I was left with a clean almost green grass taste at the back of my palette fading to and almost vague and tantalising notes of sea air.

As this was from my wife for our anniversary I can only comment on the hard work she put into to finding me what is now in my top 3 which varies depending on my mood.

Whisky tasting in general is not to be rushed and in my humblest of opinions never judge a whisky by the 1st sip alone. Even after 20+ years of drinking it I like to think of it like getting into a hot bath. You know your going the go through the ouch stage but once immersed you just don't want to get out!

This one is definitely worth soaking in!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality with a pretty affordable price tag, 15 Oct. 2014
Roland Cassard (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
Single malt whiskies are not cheap, and good single malt whiskies are even less likely to be had at bargain prices, but Lagavulin's 16-year-old malt is not too expensive and an excellent choice, especially I think if you are interested in making the move into trying a good quality malt and don't know where to start. Lagavulin is very peaty and quite overwhelming neat, so I like a tiny amount of water (preferably bottled, if you have it) just to loosen it up and bring out the sweetness. Any whisky that is the preferred drink of Ron Swanson from 'Parks and Recreation' and any recommendation from him is worth pursuing!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best affordable whisky, 10 Jun. 2013
Germinal (St. Ives) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
By 'affordable' I mean below £50 (as of June 2013).

The aroma is rich - very rich. You get massive smoke. Then iodine, spice, sherry and sweet toffee/vanilla. Simply sniffing it is worth the price.

Then there's the taste. It's thick and syrupy. There is smoke and sherry and dates and peat and oak and the richest of rich christmas cake. And more smoke.

The finish is long. It is spice and sweet vanilla and more fruit and smoke and is still there 20 minutes later.

The whisky mellows after a few months of the bottle being opened. In my opinion, this does not improve the whisky. It's best if the bottle is consumed in short order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lagavulin 16 yrs Single Malt Whisky, 22 April 2012
Anyone who likes single malt whiskys should give this one ago, I was introduced to it 20 yrs ago in Theological College and have been hooked ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely present, 5 Sept. 2013
This tasted lovely and warming. Gone in less that 3 weeks - my other half loved it.
Bought as part of his 50th.

3.0 out of 5 stars No presentation box??, 4 Dec. 2014
Amazon Fanatic! "E" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
My fiancée and I stayed with our Portuguese friends and he tried this there and adored it. I have just ordered and received this for him as a surprise for Christmas as he hasn't had it since. He couldn't remember what Whisky it was he had (a little message sent to my Portuguese friend asking and voilà! ;) . Well, I am disappointed as it arrived in bubble-wrap and there was no presentation box as it shows in the photo! Did anyone else receive it in a presentation box?

I am sure the product will be very well received without, but it would have been much nicer to have had the box, especially as it shows the box in the product description. For that, 3 stars I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time greats, 7 Feb. 2013
R. H. Barton (UK) - See all my reviews
Over the years, consistently wonderful... and unlike others (even some of the "Big 6" classic malts), it has not been watered-down to 40%, which to my mind thins the flavours of a Whisky. It is of course an Islay malt and peaty, so if you are used to Glenlivet 12 y.o., you might get a fright. A word of advice to the fanatic though - I have visited several Islay distilleries, but a visit to Lagavulin Distillery around 1999 produced a most off-hand (to the point of rudeness) and unwelcoming reception upon our srrival. Still, I have to buy their product !

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for present for husband. He said to give it 5 stars., 13 Jan. 2014
Fiona (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
As per headline, this was bought for my husband as one of his Christmas presents. I had found it very difficult to find this particular brand so was glad to find it on Amazon.

I was a bit worried about buying it and getting it delivered in one piece, but it came in a fantastic little inflatable plastic jacket which protected it wonderfully.

Its not for me but the smell of it is wonderful! This was a big hit when he opened it and then had a wee dram in the evening and said it was the best Whisky ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... time I came to decide whether or not I like this whisky, 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
By the time I came to decide whether or not I like this whisky, I was down to the very last few drops which were quickly changing in enjoyability by the very nature of whisky, I couldn't make up my mind or justify what I've heard.

My friends speak of huge variances in flavour, smell and that sort of thing, but to me all I could seem to get from was peat, the manure like spice from a cigar in taste with sea water and have a dash of ashy/wood oak finish, and I'm afraid that's about it. Squeeze a few leathery notes in the smell amongst the peat and perhaps I think I smelled sherry, and that's that.

Adding water made my lagavulin a little fruitier, the smell of some form of botanic/brewed fizzy pop like julmust or dandelion and burdock, these flavours very quickly were unattainable for me again as the bottle aged after opening.

Perhaps the bottle I had differed wildly from what everyone else as having, but compared to many other whiskies I tried it felt one dimensional and any direction it took was unpleasant after opening, to me it's not worth the hype that it gets, do I like it? Yes. Would I buy it again? No.

I'll give this whisky a 4 rather than a 3, since it kept me interested enough to drink most the bottle.

(It's pricier, but I think I would have preferred Laphroaig 18)

Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl