5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt
Published on 15 Dec 2011 by phjhervey

2.0 out of 5 stars poor packaging
This was a gift and thus I expected as per the photograph to receive the presentation container. I am very disappointed...
Published 7 months ago by P S D Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt, 15 Dec 2011
Forget the above. This is an Islay malt and so it is peaty. It is the most distinctive of this distinctive group and possibly not for those who favor the lighter styles from elsewhere. It is the connoisseur's malt. It is not bitter if anything slightly sweet and in complexity and development of flavour it has no equal. It is not cheap but then the standard release is 16 years old. As with most other malts and cars the base model is the best value. This is the whisky God drinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A drop of the good stuff, 17 Aug 2012
When people say a drop of the good stuff, this is what they are talking about. The aromatic smell of dark oak and berries with only a hint smoke so not to mask it's complexity.
When drinking the 1st sip is of bitter lemons with a hint of fudge. However let it slide down and think of that as the head!

The 2nd and subsequent sips are altogether different. The fudge and dark mellow flavours come through in abundance with no hint of the the bitterness of the 1st sip. And so it will go on like this till your session has ended. Each sip seems to increase the complexity. Once finished after a few minutes I was left with a clean almost green grass taste at the back of my palette fading to and almost vague and tantalising notes of sea air.

As this was from my wife for our anniversary I can only comment on the hard work she put into to finding me what is now in my top 3 which varies depending on my mood.

Whisky tasting in general is not to be rushed and in my humblest of opinions never judge a whisky by the 1st sip alone. Even after 20+ years of drinking it I like to think of it like getting into a hot bath. You know your going the go through the ouch stage but once immersed you just don't want to get out!

This one is definitely worth soaking in!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lagavulin 16 yrs Single Malt Whisky, 22 April 2012
Anyone who likes single malt whiskys should give this one ago, I was introduced to it 20 yrs ago in Theological College and have been hooked ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best affordable whisky, 10 Jun 2013
By 'affordable' I mean below 50 (as of June 2013).

The aroma is rich - very rich. You get massive smoke. Then iodine, spice, sherry and sweet toffee/vanilla. Simply sniffing it is worth the price.

Then there's the taste. It's thick and syrupy. There is smoke and sherry and dates and peat and oak and the richest of rich christmas cake. And more smoke.

The finish is long. It is spice and sweet vanilla and more fruit and smoke and is still there 20 minutes later.

The whisky mellows after a few months of the bottle being opened. In my opinion, this does not improve the whisky. It's best if the bottle is consumed in short order.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely present, 5 Sep 2013
This tasted lovely and warming. Gone in less that 3 weeks - my other half loved it.
Bought as part of his 50th.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great drop of whisky, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
This is an excellent bottle of whisky and one I really enjoy the taste of. I'm a fan of Highland Park and Talisker but this whiskey blows them both out of the water as it manages to bring the good points of both whiskys together.

My only qualm, and why I haven't given it 5 stars, is that the bottle was just delivered as a bottle and there was no box as pictured. Its a good looking bottle but I feel a box would have just finished it off as now it looks a bit of an odd one out on my shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it, 2 Jan 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
Along with Laphroaig, this has to be one of my favourite Whisky's. It makes for a perfect after dinner drink. It doesn't have the harshness that can sometimes leave a burning tang in the back of your pharynx. I only drink my whisky neat and as a result some whisky's can be overpowering, but I don't find that with Lagavulin. It has the peaty aftertaste you can expect from an Islay malt, but not so much that it overwhelms your senses.

I adore a strong smokey aroma in Islay malts, but I don't find it to be as heavy in Lagavulin as I do in Laphroaig, but I am not saying that as a bad thing, I would still favour Lagavulin over Laphroaig.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my dad, because he deserves a drop of the good stuff!!, 23 Aug 2013
clarkybadboy (Gravesend, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This stuff is worth every penny it is a real good whiskey, very good stuff, dad loves it. He claims he needs it and that the doctor has prescribed it to him......well cant argue, parents always right and all that lol

5.0 out of 5 stars very good!, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
An excellent whiskey! very pleased overall! However I would point out for those buying this item as a gift it does not come with it's box. Not really a problem, however it's advertised with the box. Don't let it put you off trying an excellent tipple!

4.0 out of 5 stars Personally not my favourite but it was well received and I gather didn't ..., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
Present for a devotee. Personally not my favourite but it was well received and I gather didn't last long!
Pleased to find it here online.

Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl