5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt
Published on 15 Dec 2011 by phjhervey

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
for the price the presentation box would of been nice like shown on the picture
Published 6 days ago by mr s lee

5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt, 15 Dec 2011
Forget the above. This is an Islay malt and so it is peaty. It is the most distinctive of this distinctive group and possibly not for those who favor the lighter styles from elsewhere. It is the connoisseur's malt. It is not bitter if anything slightly sweet and in complexity and development of flavour it has no equal. It is not cheap but then the standard release is 16 years old. As with most other malts and cars the base model is the best value. This is the whisky God drinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A drop of the good stuff, 17 Aug 2012
When people say a drop of the good stuff, this is what they are talking about. The aromatic smell of dark oak and berries with only a hint smoke so not to mask it's complexity.
When drinking the 1st sip is of bitter lemons with a hint of fudge. However let it slide down and think of that as the head!

The 2nd and subsequent sips are altogether different. The fudge and dark mellow flavours come through in abundance with no hint of the the bitterness of the 1st sip. And so it will go on like this till your session has ended. Each sip seems to increase the complexity. Once finished after a few minutes I was left with a clean almost green grass taste at the back of my palette fading to and almost vague and tantalising notes of sea air.

As this was from my wife for our anniversary I can only comment on the hard work she put into to finding me what is now in my top 3 which varies depending on my mood.

Whisky tasting in general is not to be rushed and in my humblest of opinions never judge a whisky by the 1st sip alone. Even after 20+ years of drinking it I like to think of it like getting into a hot bath. You know your going the go through the ouch stage but once immersed you just don't want to get out!

This one is definitely worth soaking in!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it, 2 Jan 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
Along with Laphroaig, this has to be one of my favourite Whisky's. It makes for a perfect after dinner drink. It doesn't have the harshness that can sometimes leave a burning tang in the back of your pharynx. I only drink my whisky neat and as a result some whisky's can be overpowering, but I don't find that with Lagavulin. It has the peaty aftertaste you can expect from an Islay malt, but not so much that it overwhelms your senses.

I adore a strong smokey aroma in Islay malts, but I don't find it to be as heavy in Lagavulin as I do in Laphroaig, but I am not saying that as a bad thing, I would still favour Lagavulin over Laphroaig.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most intense and characterful malt whisky on the market today., 16 Sep 2014
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
This is by far my favourite malt whisky and is surpassed only by some of the special edition bottles produced under the same label. For those uninitiated in Islay malts, this is probably one that is best avoided as an introduction. No other malts packs the amount of flavour that Lagavulin carries. It is the child of its location with peat, smoke and sea being the predominant characteristics. I do not know if this is true, but I was once told that the island of Islay is higher in the north and slopes down to the south where this distillery is. Apparently this means that most drainage runs north to south, and the water used by the distillery has therefore been filtered through more peat than any other which is the reason that the peat flavours are so intense. Similarly, the location by the sea is the reason that the iodine rich flavours of seaweed are present in the finished product. At 43%, Lagavulin is higher in alcohol than most of the competition. For this reason, the addition of a single teaspoon of quality water really brings out the best in this whisky, somehow separating out the flavours, and bringing the sweetness to the front. A truly great malt.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best affordable whisky, 10 Jun 2013
By 'affordable' I mean below £50 (as of June 2013).

The aroma is rich - very rich. You get massive smoke. Then iodine, spice, sherry and sweet toffee/vanilla. Simply sniffing it is worth the price.

Then there's the taste. It's thick and syrupy. There is smoke and sherry and dates and peat and oak and the richest of rich christmas cake. And more smoke.

The finish is long. It is spice and sweet vanilla and more fruit and smoke and is still there 20 minutes later.

The whisky mellows after a few months of the bottle being opened. In my opinion, this does not improve the whisky. It's best if the bottle is consumed in short order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality with a pretty affordable price tag, 15 Oct 2014
Roland Cassard (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
Single malt whiskies are not cheap, and good single malt whiskies are even less likely to be had at bargain prices, but Lagavulin's 16-year-old malt is not too expensive and an excellent choice, especially I think if you are interested in making the move into trying a good quality malt and don't know where to start. Lagavulin is very peaty and quite overwhelming neat, so I like a tiny amount of water (preferably bottled, if you have it) just to loosen it up and bring out the sweetness. Any whisky that is the preferred drink of Ron Swanson from 'Parks and Recreation' and any recommendation from him is worth pursuing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great drop of whisky, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Grocery)
This is an excellent bottle of whisky and one I really enjoy the taste of. I'm a fan of Highland Park and Talisker but this whiskey blows them both out of the water as it manages to bring the good points of both whiskys together.

My only qualm, and why I haven't given it 5 stars, is that the bottle was just delivered as a bottle and there was no box as pictured. Its a good looking bottle but I feel a box would have just finished it off as now it looks a bit of an odd one out on my shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lagavulin 16 yrs Single Malt Whisky, 22 April 2012
Anyone who likes single malt whiskys should give this one ago, I was introduced to it 20 yrs ago in Theological College and have been hooked ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely present, 5 Sep 2013
This tasted lovely and warming. Gone in less that 3 weeks - my other half loved it.
Bought as part of his 50th.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time greats, 7 Feb 2013
R. H. Barton (UK) - See all my reviews
Over the years, consistently wonderful... and unlike others (even some of the "Big 6" classic malts), it has not been watered-down to 40%, which to my mind thins the flavours of a Whisky. It is of course an Islay malt and peaty, so if you are used to Glenlivet 12 y.o., you might get a fright. A word of advice to the fanatic though - I have visited several Islay distilleries, but a visit to Lagavulin Distillery around 1999 produced a most off-hand (to the point of rudeness) and unwelcoming reception upon our srrival. Still, I have to buy their product !

Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl