5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt
Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by phjhervey

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
for the price the presentation box would of been nice like shown on the picture
Published 7 months ago by mr s lee

5.0 out of 5 stars The best standard distillery malt, 15 Dec. 2011
Forget the above. This is an Islay malt and so it is peaty. It is the most distinctive of this distinctive group and possibly not for those who favor the lighter styles from elsewhere. It is the connoisseur's malt. It is not bitter if anything slightly sweet and in complexity and development of flavour it has no equal. It is not cheap but then the standard release is 16 years old. As with most other malts and cars the base model is the best value. This is the whisky God drinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A drop of the good stuff, 17 Aug. 2012
When people say a drop of the good stuff, this is what they are talking about. The aromatic smell of dark oak and berries with only a hint smoke so not to mask it's complexity.
When drinking the 1st sip is of bitter lemons with a hint of fudge. However let it slide down and think of that as the head!

The 2nd and subsequent sips are altogether different. The fudge and dark mellow flavours come through in abundance with no hint of the the bitterness of the 1st sip. And so it will go on like this till your session has ended. Each sip seems to increase the complexity. Once finished after a few minutes I was left with a clean almost green grass taste at the back of my palette fading to and almost vague and tantalising notes of sea air.

As this was from my wife for our anniversary I can only comment on the hard work she put into to finding me what is now in my top 3 which varies depending on my mood.

Whisky tasting in general is not to be rushed and in my humblest of opinions never judge a whisky by the 1st sip alone. Even after 20+ years of drinking it I like to think of it like getting into a hot bath. You know your going the go through the ouch stage but once immersed you just don't want to get out!

This one is definitely worth soaking in!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best affordable whisky, 10 Jun. 2013
Germinal (St. Ives) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
By 'affordable' I mean below £50 (as of June 2013).

The aroma is rich - very rich. You get massive smoke. Then iodine, spice, sherry and sweet toffee/vanilla. Simply sniffing it is worth the price.

Then there's the taste. It's thick and syrupy. There is smoke and sherry and dates and peat and oak and the richest of rich christmas cake. And more smoke.

The finish is long. It is spice and sweet vanilla and more fruit and smoke and is still there 20 minutes later.

The whisky mellows after a few months of the bottle being opened. In my opinion, this does not improve the whisky. It's best if the bottle is consumed in short order.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the all-time greats, 7 Feb. 2013
R. H. Barton (UK) - See all my reviews
Over the years, consistently wonderful... and unlike others (even some of the "Big 6" classic malts), it has not been watered-down to 40%, which to my mind thins the flavours of a Whisky. It is of course an Islay malt and peaty, so if you are used to Glenlivet 12 y.o., you might get a fright. A word of advice to the fanatic though - I have visited several Islay distilleries, but a visit to Lagavulin Distillery around 1999 produced a most off-hand (to the point of rudeness) and unwelcoming reception upon our srrival. Still, I have to buy their product !

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for present for husband. He said to give it 5 stars., 13 Jan. 2014
Fiona (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Wine)
As per headline, this was bought for my husband as one of his Christmas presents. I had found it very difficult to find this particular brand so was glad to find it on Amazon.

I was a bit worried about buying it and getting it delivered in one piece, but it came in a fantastic little inflatable plastic jacket which protected it wonderfully.

Its not for me but the smell of it is wonderful! This was a big hit when he opened it and then had a wee dram in the evening and said it was the best Whisky ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best whisky that I've tasted so far., 19 Jan. 2013
It is a well balanced, intriguing flavoured whisky with a smoky punch to the nose. - Absolutely delightful indeed.

Next stop 21year old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but worth it, 2 Jan. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Wine)
Along with Laphroaig, this has to be one of my favourite Whisky's. It makes for a perfect after dinner drink. It doesn't have the harshness that can sometimes leave a burning tang in the back of your pharynx. I only drink my whisky neat and as a result some whisky's can be overpowering, but I don't find that with Lagavulin. It has the peaty aftertaste you can expect from an Islay malt, but not so much that it overwhelms your senses.

I adore a strong smokey aroma in Islay malts, but I don't find it to be as heavy in Lagavulin as I do in Laphroaig, but I am not saying that as a bad thing, I would still favour Lagavulin over Laphroaig.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best Whisky I have tried, 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Wine)
I am by no means a whisky connoisseur , but I have tasted a fair few single malts and blended whiskeys and this one stands head and shoulders above everything else I have tried. It manages to be both smooth and have a rich, deep flavour at the same time. Without exception every other whiskey I have tried manages only one of these two qualities. Simply Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a whisky expert but this is the best I have had to date and the price is ..., 29 Oct. 2014
C. Weston - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Wine)
I'm not a whisky expert but this is the best I have had to date and the price is usually very good compared to specialist shops.
To date, everyone I know that likes a whisky loves this (male and female).
Would recommend 10ml of a good still water to help release the flavour and aroma.

4.0 out of 5 stars it is smooth and I think it has a wonderful warm aroma, 25 Aug. 2014
Justin Fretwell (Chelmsford, Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl (Wine)
This is a real whiskey taste. It's quite medicinal and if I were starting out, this would not be my first choice.

Despite the taste I described, it is smooth and I think it has a wonderful warm aroma.

I like it, but it's not going to be for everyone I feel.

Lagavulin 16 Year Old Whisky 70 cl