1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars It Gets My Vote, 26 Dec 2013
Nobody "Alan Boyes" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mahler, G.: Symphony No. 7 (MP3 Download)
Mahler listeners are truly spoiled by the quality of reviews on Amazon. this recording is a case in point with excellent arguments for and against this particular recording. I feel that all I can do is simply say whether I like it or not. The answer is yes, very much even though I can see some of the points made against it make sense to me; in particular, the sound is excellent for the most part, if a little dry. The guitar, mandolin and cowbells ring out but the brass are flattened a bit by the acoustic and details are lost.

That said; I loved this. there is plenty of drama but Jansons seems to take the cue for this piece being centred around son - the clue's in the work's title. The is plenty of dance too in all the movements with the Ivesian collage in the finale making perfect sense and really feeling like a celebration covered from all angles. As for the argument about Kubelik's recordings of the Seventh; yes I like them though, sound wise, they're starting to show their age a bit.

There are shadows in this symphony but Mahler was more of a classicist than he is sometimes given credit for and he'll have realised that an hour and a quarter needed some shadows to make the joy more real. I would not claim this is th ebest recording available but I've thoroughly enjoyed it and can recommend wholeheartedly.

Mahler, G.: Symphony No. 7