Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

on 20 October 2012
Another set which is overflowing with nostalgia for times when songs were singable or could be whistled. It has already given us great pleasure and brought back many memories.
As with several of their earlier double CD's, this collection mixes new recordings with tracks they've previously recorded. Here, about half the tracks are new recordings and most of them are on the first CD. The theme this time is loosely defined, as some of the songs sold a million in America, some sold a million in Britain and some ... did they really sell a million? OK, I accept that if total world sales were a million or more, inclusion here is justified, but I was most surprised that they included Crystal chandeliers. This is a very popular song among country music fans in Britain, Australia and elsewhere - but not America, where its success was limited to say the least. I love the song, and Foster and Allen do a fine cover of it, but no comments are provided, so I am left to wonder how the song qualifies for this compilation, although I'd be very pleased if it does.

I have absolutely no doubt that the vast majority of tracks not only qualified for this set, but did so with ease. The set opens with You'll never walk alone, originally from Carousel, but covered by Gerry and the Pacemakers and adopted by both Celtic and Liverpool football clubs as their anthem. Foster and Allen do a fine cover of this song but my favorite version of this song is the one by Tammy Wynette. That opener sets a high standard that is maintained, for the most part, all the way through to the cling cover of the Seekers classic The carnival is over. In between, there are plenty of pop classics interspersed with a few country and folk songs.

Whereas previous double CD's by Foster and Allen have avoided duplicating tracks already included on earlier double CD's, I spotted that this one includes Unchained melody and Good luck charm. Both of them previously appeared on Sing the Number 1's, while several other tracks here previously appeared on Foster & Allen Sing The 60's. Fans may also have some of the other previously released tracks, as I do. Still, I don't mind too much as I knew that if they were going to keep putting out 40-track doubles, duplication would occur eventually.

Fans of Foster and Allen will enjoy this compilation, of course. Being typical of their style and breaking no new ground, it won't attract them to a wider audience, but they have such a massive fan base that they don't need to worry about that. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what they come up with next.
on 3 February 2010
I always have a penchant for this duo and was not sorry I purchased this latest double album by them.It has a wide range of MILLION SELLERS from "IL SILENZIO" to "FROM A JACK TO A KING", all gems in their own right, and a must for all their fans.Go get it without any further delay.
on 7 September 2010
I found this cd to be very good and entertaining . It was so nice to hear many of the songs that I had given up hope of every hearing again ,such as ," You raise me up ","Candle in the wind" and "Deck of cards".To name but a few on this excellant buy .Ican thoughly recommend this cd to any one who is interested in songs of yesterday.
on 31 December 2009
my nephew who has Downs Syndrone loved his new record of the Foster and Allen.
my second CD of this record was a gift to a lady who is blind and 90 yrs old. It gave her great pleasure to hear the new and old songs by Foster and Allen
11 comment5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2012
a great cd realy good songs and good value for the price worth more well worth listening to it , or singing along to it , as everyone seems to do
on 20 January 2010
I bought this Foster and Allen CD for my dad for a christmas present as he really likes them. He listened to the CD over christmas and absolutely loved it.
on 17 August 2015
Going to see them live in Eastbourne later in year (now August 2015) They are very easy listening. I have seen them live before in Portsmouth. I like their music. I know its not to everybody taste but more probably for the older person.
on 8 January 2014
Excellent piece of background 'easy listening'. I would recommend it to all 'easy listening' fans You can't do better for a Foster & Allen item..
on 11 December 2013
Got this last year and really liked it so bought 3 more to give to friends. Play it a lot as there is a good selection of songs on it