Top positive review
12 people found this helpful
great tips for a new golfer
on 3 June 2013
Although there are already a lot of other reviews about ben hogan's five lessons I thought it would be wrong for me not to put my experiences in here.
As a bit of background I am a novice golfer. I played 3 or 4 rounds a few years ago, and bought a beginners club set (ben sayers m7 fire) and went round a few times with some of the lads at work. I was enjoying myself but hitting very inconsistently. Hooks and slices were very very common and the best I did was hit par once, and that was with a really good putt. Probably a fluke back then.
I started playing again a few months ago with a change of job that is giving me a lot of free time. I picked up a few golf magazines and looked through the tips and guide sections but they were all over the place with diagrams and captions I wasn't taking much in from them. I decided to do a search on golf books on amazon and the most recommended was ben hogan's five lessons, so I took a small chance and ordered it. I suggest everyone who has had a similar experience to myself so far do the same and buy this book.
The book arrived and I read it over 2 nights. There are a handful of sections, starting with grip and finishing with your downswing. It is written in a very good order, bringing the information through in a solid structure. The writing style is not modern, but not old fashioned either. It feels more like what ben would say if he was standing in front of you giving you a real life instruction. The diagrams are hand drawn and very clear, and everything has lots of diagrams to show you in every possible way what you need to do.
There is also a section at the back but a quick round up of what he has taught you. I particularly like the fact that he explains the swing plane in a nice simple way.
What the book doesn't include: anything on club choice or hitting of different surfaces e.g. rough or sand. This is just the basic fundamentals of a good golf swings.
So where am I after a month of following the instruction in this book? well I have hit around 500 balls on the range, with various clubs, and played one round yesterday. I scored about 20 shots better than I would have previously, and only lost on match play by 2 holes, where I would have lost every hole. I scored my first ever birdie on a par 3. My shots are much more consistent and I would say that 80% of the time go where I want. Although I do miss hit or just miss the other 20% I can feel in my swing where I went wrong and what not to do next time. I can now play a round without feeling embarrassed slicing tee shots into woods and I am not losing balls anymore. Water hazards do not make my wallet cringe. I am getting good height rather than hitting the ball low across the floor.
I cannot recommend this book any more. It is number 1 and in my opinion will never be replaced. The fundamentals here will give me a lifetime of enjoyable golf.