5.0 out of 5 stars A truly adult film, in the best possible sense of the expression
The White Ribbon won't appeal to those wanting a slick, colourful, fast-moving, gimmicky, loud sort of film with a few easy-to-digest plotlines, tidily resolved by the end.

If I had to sum it up in one line I'd say it is majestically Proustian in its treatment of the life of a pre-1stWW rural German community - but without the laughs.

An utterly...
Published on 3 July 2011 by A Satisfied-Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and disturbing
Yes, it's beautiful to look at, but the evil is there from the first scene. And it gets worse, playing on your mind, with the only respite being that offered by the teacher's blossoming romance. Everything is rotting thanks to the basic evil of humanity. Evil perpetuating evil appears to be the central theme, and many of the scenes, whilst sparing you the detail, are...
Published on 13 May 2010 by Nadya Laval

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going, 10 May 2010
Mr. I. J. Hunt (UK Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
The film is ok. It is a bit heavy going and the pace is non to fast. It is a film that did not live up to expectations generated by reviews. I would not go out of my way to watch again.

2.0 out of 5 stars rambled on, 23 Mar 2011
Cge Woodhead "Wooders" (Newbury Berks) - See all my reviews
Most of the film was beautifully shot and very well acted - however it rambled on like mad - I very nearly didn't bother finishing watching it but managed to peservere (to little reward I might add)
Its a bit high brow - I think it was clearly meant to be a metaphor for some germans reaction to the 2 world wars but it did get very, very boring.

Also the teacher reminded me of herr lipp from league of gentlemen so it was hard to take him seriously.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious beyond comprehension, 18 May 2010
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Being one of Haneke's biggest fans I looked forward to this film with some excitement.
To say that ultimately it was a disappointment is an understatement.
Ill let the other reviewers argue the artistic merits and subtle nuances of the film.
From my point of view it was just tedious. 3 hours of nothing based around 3 quite insignificant events creating charachters you simply couldn't care less about.

As far as I am concerned, only people with a doctorate in pretentiousness will get any enjoyment from this film whatsoever.
For the rest of us, for whom a films primary duty is to entertain, stay well clear.

Incidentally I gave it two stars instead of one for the quality of acting.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of over two hours, 19 July 2010
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I cannot believe this film has had so many awards and acclamations. I don't normally write reviews but this has to be one of the worst films that I have ever seen. Extremely dull, it is sinister and there is overtly gratuitous cruelty (torture of a Downs' syndrome boy, someone being extremely verbally cruel to a lover for no apparent reason, a child killing a pet bird with a pair of scissors, scenes that portray child abuse). A series of events happen which are narrated by the local school teacher - these are never solved - there is a suggestion of who the culprit may have been but nothing further. The film left me feeling extremely bored, a bit sick from the gratuitous cruelty but generally just annoyed that you never solidly find out who was behind the events and that the film has no ending. I would thoroughly recommend giving this a big miss!

1.0 out of 5 stars The emperors new clothing, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I'm in the fall out after watching Micheal Haneke's 'White ribbon', I feel physically and emotionally sickened and drained by the films existence, by the creativity and will that it must have taken to have brought the film to life, a film that has no point other than to reduce the world's histories and atrocities into a village, into a family and into us. We are left no where at the end, fumbling around in the decrepit remains of our humanity cast so mercilessly in cinematic splendour. Lord save us from our selves if this is what we are. But we are not.

This is 20 years, try, 80 years of intricate weaving and tinkering with history, this is German efficiency taken to its brutal and ultimate end. I want nothing to do with it. I hate this film and feel sorry that I've seen it. This is the emperors new clothing, Palm d'or winner, 5 star critically acclaimed and all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Too cross to give review after wasting money and time watching it, other than to say it was desperately, desperately dull and hopelessly pleased with itself. Grrr!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Depressing, 2 Aug 2012
M. Ryan (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Most people seem to like it, so I'm probably just too dense to see the art.

I got it, because I recognised the names of some of the actors and knew that they are good, and indeed the acting was good in this film. I can't think of anything else to say that's positive.

Among the grown-ups, it is hard to find a single likeable character - apart from the teacher and his girl, of course. No wonder all the children are weird, too. The film ended without actually answering any questions. Instead, it left more lose ends.

For me, the movie was a waste of two hours of valuable time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Disjointed, boring and self indulgent.
Terrible waste of time.
And I usually adore European cinema.

1.0 out of 5 stars flush it away, 14 Nov 2009
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Man , what was that all about . Ooo, someone put a wire across the path , someone got a bruise , someone was bored. No vampires or anything AND it wasn't in English AND it was in black and white ! hello 21st Centuary. People have been put in prison for less

1.0 out of 5 stars DULL DULL DULL, 9 Sep 2010
Marttery - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Probably the most boring film I've ever seen. Thought it would at least be beautiful to look at but very dull.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009]
The White Ribbon [DVD] [2009] by Michael Haneke (DVD - 2010)