on 28 September 2010
The London Evening Standard is a free Newspaper of course - so even charging a few pounds for the Kindle edition seems a bit steep. However, it must be acknowledged that the printed version makes its money through advertising, and the Kindle edition is advert-free. The latest edition arrives in the early afternoon, and is thus more up to date than the morning Newspapers which are compiled overnight.

Whilst the Kindle Edition may be a cut-down version of the printed version, it is by and large a good and comprehensive read. This subscription receives my qualified recommendation.
on 9 September 2010
I love my Kindle for reading books - where you basically read form cover to cover - but have decided that it's just not a 'newspaper' device. The content of this paper is pretty good, but the format of the Kindle's newspaper reader makes it so hard to browse and scan through pages. There are very few pictures and it's not a particularly rewarding read. I find my iPad a much nicer device to read news on because I can flip through pages and view pictures like a real paper, plus you get the bonus of video and audio material as well as text articles (although the iPad's not as good for reading books, especially outside!).
on 13 August 2011
I have been receiving the Evening Standard for over six months and find it sometimes controversial and sometime a little one sided in its views, but never dull. For what it costs it is delivered to my Kindle where ever I am around the world and by flicking over articles that are of no or very little interest does not make you feel that you have to read them because the paper is costing so much each day likewise if you miss one days reading (which I have not since subscribing) is only costing 14p. Yes there are a few photos included with each edition a few more would be helpful but not essential as I am not getting the Standard for its pictures but its news contents. It's such an easy read, most days being able to complete in a lunch time. So I would say to anyone interested to either start getting a newspaper delivered to their Kindle daily as a stepping stone or an additional paper why not get the Standard.
on 4 October 2010
Whilst I found the Kindle edition to be clear and reasonably easy to read, I feel that charging 20p per electronic copy when the paper edition is free is a bit steep. Compare this to the Daily Telepgraph where a print subscription is £6.50 per WEEK and the monthly Kindle edition is only £9.99

It is also obvious that not a lot of time or effort has gone into creating a specific Kindle edition - they have just dumped in the newspaper text and a small selection of photos. This can been seen from many references to pictures that aren't there, captions for the (missing) photos added to the end of the articles and articles appearing in the wrong order (for example a comment piece/sidebar appearing before the article it relates to). A quick spell check would not go amiss either!

If the ES produced a good Kindle edition I would have considered paying a small monthly fee but getting a poorly edited edition for £4 per month is not for me.

Sorry ES, but as a long time reader of your paper you have not converted me to your Kindle edition - which is a shame as it is much more environmentaly friendly than all the free paper editions left on tubes, trains, etc.
on 2 September 2010
I subscribe to it because I'm not in the streets in the evening to pick it up. It's a good newspaper, and I'm paying to have it delivered, that's all. I actually read more news now, due to its format on Kindle. Ads are minimal (there are some sponsored news - you know they are - but there's no classified section). Minimal pictures, but those available are very crisp. I actually like the feel of the black-and-white pictures. Font size (or layout) is changeable. You can also skim through articles easily. Maybe we do get less content in the electronic version, but I spend at least a solid hour every night reading it. There seems to be a lot to go through. Overall, great! Will continue my subscription after the 14-day trial.London Evening Standard
on 22 October 2010
I have to say when I signed up to the free trial I was not sure what to expect. I then compared the Kindle version with the paper edition and found that every single story was in the Kindle version. The only omission seems to be graphics and pictures. On-page fact tables also don't translate well to the Kindle version as they just look like ordinary pages which gets a bit confusing.

The price is a little expensive considering the paper edition is free, but compared to the other Kindle newspaper offerings (10 pounds plus) it is better value. My logical head is saying why pay 4 GBP for something that is free on paper, but my heart is saying I do absolutely LOVE the fact that it gets delivered automatically to my kindle while I'm at work and I don't have to go fishing around in a tube station for one when I should be catching my train.

In conclusion, if you value the convenience of automated delivery, it is worth the 4GBP per month, as you do get all the same info (minus pictures) as the paper edition. It also means you get to read it in a packed train carriage without needing elbow room.
on 11 August 2011
at the moment i am trying out the free trials before i decide and i have been very impressed with the standard. i am not a londoner but found the news was national. i gather it is a london free sheet but feel the small sum charged by kindle is worth paying for a months delivery charge.
on 1 July 2012
I have retired recently having commuted to work in London for many years. I miss the London Evening Standard newspaper which is always a useful round up of London's and the nation's news. The financial section is one of the best with Anthony Hilton's articles usually providing a haven of sound common sense amid the tumult of the money markets.
I have to say that I found the Kindle presentation of the paper disappointing. I missed being able to run my eyes over a full page and pre-select the more tasty articles. I found that just looking at one article at a time produced a claustrophobic feeling. How to get round this effect on the smaller screen I do not know but I am sure that the clever ones at Kindle could come up with something.
Yours in hope, JAWA.
on 15 March 2011
I have been reading the Kindle version of the Evening Standard for about six weeks and can say that it provides excellent value for the money spent. Yes it is not the same experience as in hard copy form but why would one expect it to be? The browsing facility is adequate and the quality of the journalism puts many other papers to shame. I actually look forward to it being delivered every work day and miss it at the weekend which I suppose says it all. If you are considering subscribing I would suggest that it is worthwhile using the free 14 day trial. There is after all nothing to be lost by doing so and you might be pleasantly surprised.
on 21 May 2013
Too small print, if you enlarge you have to keep moving around the page. Not easy to read. Will not bother again, learn by mistakes. Cannot beat the paper copy