4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money

Published on 9 Sep 2010 by Sean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
The London Evening Standard is a free Newspaper of course - so even charging a few pounds for the Kindle edition seems a bit steep. However, it must be acknowledged that the printed version makes its money through advertising, and the Kindle edition is advert-free. The latest edition arrives in the early afternoon, and is thus more up to date than the morning Newspapers which are compiled overnight.

Whilst the Kindle Edition may be a cut-down version of the printed version, it is by and large a good and comprehensive read. This subscription receives my qualified recommendation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Content Good, But Format Poor, 9 Sep 2010
Sean - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
I love my Kindle for reading books - where you basically read form cover to cover - but have decided that it's just not a 'newspaper' device. The content of this paper is pretty good, but the format of the Kindle's newspaper reader makes it so hard to browse and scan through pages. There are very few pictures and it's not a particularly rewarding read. I find my iPad a much nicer device to read news on because I can flip through pages and view pictures like a real paper, plus you get the bonus of video and audio material as well as text articles (although the iPad's not as good for reading books, especially outside!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Going back to black-and-white newspapers!, 2 Sep 2010
C. W. Chin "Art Lover" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
I subscribe to it because I'm not in the streets in the evening to pick it up. It's a good newspaper, and I'm paying to have it delivered, that's all. I actually read more news now, due to its format on Kindle. Ads are minimal (there are some sponsored news - you know they are - but there's no classified section). Minimal pictures, but those available are very crisp. I actually like the feel of the black-and-white pictures. Font size (or layout) is changeable. You can also skim through articles easily. Maybe we do get less content in the electronic version, but I spend at least a solid hour every night reading it. There seems to be a lot to go through. Overall, great! Will continue my subscription after the 14-day trial.London Evening Standard

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but steep at 20p per copy, 4 Oct 2010
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I found the Kindle edition to be clear and reasonably easy to read, I feel that charging 20p per electronic copy when the paper edition is free is a bit steep. Compare this to the Daily Telepgraph where a print subscription is £6.50 per WEEK and the monthly Kindle edition is only £9.99

It is also obvious that not a lot of time or effort has gone into creating a specific Kindle edition - they have just dumped in the newspaper text and a small selection of photos. This can been seen from many references to pictures that aren't there, captions for the (missing) photos added to the end of the articles and articles appearing in the wrong order (for example a comment piece/sidebar appearing before the article it relates to). A quick spell check would not go amiss either!

If the ES produced a good Kindle edition I would have considered paying a small monthly fee but getting a poorly edited edition for £4 per month is not for me.

Sorry ES, but as a long time reader of your paper you have not converted me to your Kindle edition - which is a shame as it is much more environmentaly friendly than all the free paper editions left on tubes, trains, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Up Standards, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
I have been receiving the Evening Standard for over six months and find it sometimes controversial and sometime a little one sided in its views, but never dull. For what it costs it is delivered to my Kindle where ever I am around the world and by flicking over articles that are of no or very little interest does not make you feel that you have to read them because the paper is costing so much each day likewise if you miss one days reading (which I have not since subscribing) is only costing 14p. Yes there are a few photos included with each edition a few more would be helpful but not essential as I am not getting the Standard for its pictures but its news contents. It's such an easy read, most days being able to complete in a lunch time. So I would say to anyone interested to either start getting a newspaper delivered to their Kindle daily as a stepping stone or an additional paper why not get the Standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tad expensive but I'm enjoying it, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
I have to say when I signed up to the free trial I was not sure what to expect. I then compared the Kindle version with the paper edition and found that every single story was in the Kindle version. The only omission seems to be graphics and pictures. On-page fact tables also don't translate well to the Kindle version as they just look like ordinary pages which gets a bit confusing.

The price is a little expensive considering the paper edition is free, but compared to the other Kindle newspaper offerings (10 pounds plus) it is better value. My logical head is saying why pay 4 GBP for something that is free on paper, but my heart is saying I do absolutely LOVE the fact that it gets delivered automatically to my kindle while I'm at work and I don't have to go fishing around in a tube station for one when I should be catching my train.

In conclusion, if you value the convenience of automated delivery, it is worth the 4GBP per month, as you do get all the same info (minus pictures) as the paper edition. It also means you get to read it in a packed train carriage without needing elbow room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lillian and her view of the free best paper in my oppinion of the LONDON EVENING STANDARD, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
In and around the city of London and most London boroughs proximately 14.000 hours you will see the free London Evening Standard those blue stands are filled to capacity , hundreds of the paper is self service issued to every one , Monday- Friday except bank holidays . One Wednesdays we have page after page of homes , hoses and apartments for sale or rent , but no a great deal of advertisements for jobs , I would like to see I think on a Friday is as many pages of job vacancies as the number of pages of homes etc job vacancies, after all the idea of working is to help pay for a roof over your head , whether you are renting or need a mortgage .
The letters page is a chance to air your moans , but there is no one to answer your moans, which is a bit of a waste of your time , there should be a page of answers to your moans and suggestions otherwise it is just pointless, an in one ear out of the other scenario .

For those who are rushing to work in the morning there is the Metro a quicker read and less distributed I believe that of the Standard . The Standard is a slow down or you may suffer an heart attack kind of paper , the paper you are more inclined to take home to read and do the crosswords, percentage wise for what i can observe is more metros are discarded that the standard , but people still think that the tube is the largest rubbish dump as you will see both papers discarded in nearly all carriages but strangely not quite not quite the same amount are discarded on the trains .You can read the standard on line but it does not seem the same as the old fashioned paper , and you will often see some people
waiting at Kings X for their Standard to arrive .There is of course the magazine but why not have a jobs and careers magazine given free with your Standard and a glossy mag with homes and apartments for sale or rent, both could be subsidised by the advertisers .
Yes I like the Evening Standard and a few years ago they gave away a large fantastic umbrella which I have used oh too often and so far as never turned inside out.
Thank you evening standard you really are my favourite weekly news paper

1.0 out of 5 stars never again, 21 May 2013
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
Too small print, if you enlarge you have to keep moving around the page. Not easy to read. Will not bother again, learn by mistakes. Cannot beat the paper copy

5.0 out of 5 stars evening standard, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
at the moment i am trying out the free trials before i decide and i have been very impressed with the standard. i am not a londoner but found the news was national. i gather it is a london free sheet but feel the small sum charged by kindle is worth paying for a months delivery charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for Money, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: London Evening Standard (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading the Kindle version of the Evening Standard for about six weeks and can say that it provides excellent value for the money spent. Yes it is not the same experience as in hard copy form but why would one expect it to be? The browsing facility is adequate and the quality of the journalism puts many other papers to shame. I actually look forward to it being delivered every work day and miss it at the weekend which I suppose says it all. If you are considering subscribing I would suggest that it is worthwhile using the free 14 day trial. There is after all nothing to be lost by doing so and you might be pleasantly surprised.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›