4.0 out of 5 stars Useful carry case for whatever you're carrying

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Protective Case
Published on 16 Sept. 2010 by KMW

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful carry case for whatever you're carrying, 23 Oct. 2010
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: AmazonBasics Universal Case for Small Electronics (Cameras, Mobile Phones, GPS Units) Black 9.2 x 15.5 x 2 cm (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This carry case is 11.5 x 7cm and very light weight. The fabric is the same inside and out and is the same shiny material that's used for those puffa jackets. It's thick enough that I wasn't worried about anything being damaged while inside it. It has a nice drawstring and a clip (carabiner) at the back which is excellent for attaching to your belt loops or the strap of your bag so that you don't lose it or whatever's inside it.

It's not waterproof but probably showerproof enough that you wouldn't worry if you got caught in a rain shower. This also means you can wipe it clean which I like.

I did like the fact that it came in frustration free packaging although I still had to use a knife to cut through the label to get into the box. But it's all recyclable so I was happy.

My iphone fits nicely in the case. But, it's not a snug fit so it does wobble around inside the bag. This doesn't bother me and I was happy that it would be protected but it's not a substitute for a good fitting phone case.

The same is true of most of the other items that fit inside. My big sunglasses fit inside fine although it would stop them from getting scratched, it wouldn't stop them from getting squished. My camera and various other devices also fit with room to spare.

Overall, this is a great little fabric case. It's not perfect for all devices but if you're looking for an inexpensive case that you can use for whatever you're carrying about at the time then you can't go wrong with it. 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically good little pouch, 27 Aug. 2013
TonyD "biotone" (Up North) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Lightly padded nylon pouch for your smaller cameras / iPods / phones, with a drawstring closure at the top and a small fabric loop on the back to take a little carabiner or similar. In my opinion not so much for keeping things ready to hand in your pockets, but more for protection in cases and bags to stop your kit getting damaged. If the 'Amazon Basics' logo doesn't have enough credibility for you then the easy option is to cut the little fabric tag off !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate Protective Case, 16 Sept. 2010
KMW (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Even though this is a universal case, there doesn't seem a huge amount of small electronics that fit "snuggly" inside. I've tried my Panasonic TZ7 Camera, PSP, TomTom, HTC HD2 etc, and all of these items were far too small for this case. It seems this is more suited to the Pocket Camcorders, like the Flip Models. Also, Due to it's size and padding, the case doesn't fit well in trouser pockets (Even with a small camera inside); Although, it does include a carabiner.

This case seems to be well made, but the polyester fabric and foam padding makes the case feel quite cheap; However, it does give adequate protection to anything stored inside.

Overall, it's a decent case and good value, but not something I'd eagerly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful pouch but the "Frustration-Free Packaging" is frustrating, 27 Aug. 2010
J. Baldwin "Reader" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have two pocket video cameras, a Flip and a Kodak Zi6, both of which seem to get knocked about in very flimsy cases. This bag is the ideal size for them and as a cover works brilliantly. However I'm trying to get my head around the padding aspect - it's well padded on the outside but not so much on the inside and I can't help feeling if I turned it inside out it would offer better protection. I know that sounds odd but when I look at all my other cases and camera bags, the padding is on the inside, not the outside. Mmm...

Aesthetically it's not particularly pleasing to look at, reminding me of body warmers that everyone used to wear back in the 80s, or boiler insulation. I think a choice of colours would improve it greatly. You can still be basic but red...
The bag has a drawstring and a clasp that would attach to the strap or the inside of a backpack. I'm not sure it would survive a really good tug but the good thing about the bag is that it doesn't shout "I've got an expensive video camera in me!"
Going back to the size, it's a bit too big for an iPod or phone - get a proper case for those. I could see it being useful for collecting together small things that could be damaged if they were allowed to roll around in your suitcase or backpack, though. However a padded envelope might be a cheaper choice.

My main criticism is that my case arrived hugely over-packaged, in a cardboard box that the postman had to hand to me, because it wouldn't fit through the letterbox. And inside the cardboard box, it was wrapped in a thin plastic bag.
It's a padded case. Why does it need so much protection to be sent through the post? Surely it could just be put in an envelope?
Amazon's blurb says it "Ships in Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging", i.e. no plastic cases you can't get in to, and the packaging is recyclable. But there's still way too much of it.

So anyway, it does the job. It's very functional (hence the "Basics") but it's not very pretty, it's quite possibly inside out, and it's over-packaged. The price is reasonable and if, like me, you've lost the bag that came with your Flip or you find that one a bit thin and insubstantial, this is a good replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic looking but useful bag., 6 April 2011
Mr. R. J. Wyndham (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Got this free with a Kodak Zi8 camera. It is not a style icon, but the camera fits in securely - you can tighten up the top to avoid it dropping out. There is also a nice Karabiner hook attached. I can pop the case inside a golf bag, or clip it on the side. Or put it in a rucksack when travelling. So it's proved very useful for me!

3.0 out of 5 stars No frills and functional, 22 Aug. 2010
D. J. Burton (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well made little bag, suitable for something around an iPod size which isn't really a surprise. It's not quite as padded as the picture suggests but definitely offers protection against the rough and tumble of everyday use.

There's a nice metal clip on the side if you'd ever use one, a drawstring and it's all well put together. With the padding it's too big for your average pocket so it loses a star for that - I'd rather have less of the quilted look and be able to still tuck it away. The synthetic material is a tad too shiny for me too, reminiscent of the shell suit era of old.

If you like your labels I'd steer clear of this one though - "Amazon Basics" doesn't really cut the mustard and it's stuck on the side label in this case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but perfect, 24 Aug. 2010
David Turnbull (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In a nutshell, this is a small-ish padded bag designed to protect delicate and not so delicate gadgets when put in other bags.

I love it. It has a good size -- it very comfortably takes an iPhone or iPod, my TomTom or a point and shoot digital camera. It has a pretty smooth interior which hasn't scratched any screens, and some light padding which will protect gadgets from light knocks. The drawstring toggle actually holds tight and keeps the bag closed -- unlike that on a similar product from Proporta -- and the carabiner on the back is of course removable.

The only slight disadvantage I thought -- though I am changing my mind -- is that the drawstring does not close the bag completely. There is enough of a gap to get about two medium-sized fingers through. I initially though this was a disadvantage, as cables could slip out, but now think it is an advantage -- it stops me putting cables in the bag with the kit and therefore running the risk of scratching screens.

Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good case but generic styling and shape not to my taste..., 26 Aug. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The case is well made, with a drawstring, and metal loop so that it can be hooked onto a belt strap. However, if you plan on using it for a compact camera, then be aware that it doesn't come with a neck strap, whereas most other cases around this price made for digital cameras come with a neck strap. For the price I would prefer to spend my money on a more specific camera case - as even for the same price you'll find a Lowepro camera case has features designed for cameras, such as a memory card pocket, and neck strap, which this product doesn't have.

The case works well, and does what's expected, it is afterall a basic case, however I would have expected the price to be even lower considering the lack of frills and features. It easily fits a Panasonic Lumix FS33 camera, and is far too large for a Canon IXUS 95 IS, and would be better suited for use with medium size compact cameras (such as the Panasonic TZ7, etc). Packaging is good and easily opened and recycled.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera Case, 22 Aug. 2010
Funk (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cheap and cheerful little case, can fit a wide variety of things (i put my camera in it) and doesn't look as ugly as many camera cases i've had over the years.

Saying that though, i wouldn't use it as an every day case. The karabina is far too flimsy for my liking (if you ain't got a KN rating you're just a toy), and it is fiddly to get things in and out. However what it would excell in is a transport case. Put your camera in there, stick it in your bag and go on your trip/boat ride/plane then get it out at the other end and put this case back in your bag.

The frustration free packaging that amazon are going for is good, well, it's just a box, but much better than hard plastic. It did seem rather extravagant to send such a large box for such a small product, but it can be recycled so not a massive harm done

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat little bag, 16 Sept. 2010
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well designed and made little bag than be used for ipods, cameras etc.

i use mine to store a DS Lite which is a little bit tight but it does go in there.

The bag has thin but decent enough padding and the drawstring at the top is a neat feature as the toggle on the string fits in a notch cut out from the edge of the bag when it is drawn tight (it can be seen clearly on the product picture). There is a small karabiner style clip on the bag which is sturdy enough to trust your expensive gadgets to.

Overall a basic but well thought out and made bag which is recommended. I dropped a star as the grid style stitching is kinda retro and not to everyones taste but I think it looks cool.