5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good!
Published on 19 Jan 2010 by Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but disappointing
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by Dr. L. Goodwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously good!, 19 Jan 2010
Take the already great sounding original px100, tighten up the low end, refine the high end and balance the mid to make it a little less dark sounding than it's predecessor, then add strength to the headband by making it thicker and more sturdy, add a touch of beautiful styling and what you get is an outstanding portable headphone that blows anything in it's class out of the water, the design has stayed the same, so it still folds neatly to fit in the provided pouch, better than the plastic case that came with the original px100 imo, gone has the y cable, now single sided and tangle free, the comfort is exactly the same also with the padding on the headband, all i can say is the best just got better and a must buy, especially if you were a fan of the original px100, i love them!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best general use headphones, 7 Mar 2011
I've been very happy with the original PX100. When I saw Sennheiser had improved it, I was reluctant to get the new model after I lost my current set on a trip to Barcelona. But then I found this model with the iPhone controls.

Unlike the old PX100, this model doesn't come with a hard travel case. In fact, the collapsing arms are a bit wider now so the PX100-IIi no longer fits in that case. I comes with a little pouch, though. The arms still fold in and the earpieces rotate 90 degrees, so the pouch is good enough if you carry the headset in a pocket or a bag, but I'd still be careful.

The sound is good as ever, with a clear high end that lacks the harshness that I've often encountered in cheap headsets or earbuds. The bass response is notably stronger than with most other headsets, but in a good way. It's really a pleasure to listen to music with the PX100-IIi. You can turn up the volume as high as it needs to go without distortion or resonances. From memory, it seems I need to turn up the volume a little more than with the old model to get the same level of output.

The old PX100 had a cable that split and went to each ear individually. With this one, the cable goes to the left ear, which turns out to be more pleasant. There is a little clicker in the cable which allows you to control recent iPhones, iPods and even Mac computers. The volume up and down buttons work very well, and the play/pause area is ok for stopping and starting playback, but double or tripple clicking isn't as easy as it could be because there's no separate button, you have to squeeze the middle of the clicker fairly tightly. There's also a microphone in there, allowing you to take calls, record voice memos or issue voice commands.

The headset is light and doesn't squeeze the ears much, so it's easy to wear for long periods. It's a great general purpose headset, but not ideal for exercise (sweaty ears and foam earpads don't go together well) and there is zero isolation from outside noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 5 April 2010
I've used some top grade headphones by Beyer and Sennheiser and still have Beyer DT150 and DT990 (two of the top rated phones in the business). Pitted against those, I wasn't expecting the PX 100-II to be anywhere near their equal. But I was proved wrong - they are remarkable considering their small size, weight and even price. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient accessory for my ipod, 10 Sep 2010
I needed a compact and convenient headset for using my iPod when travelling but not one that gave me ear-ache.
These folding headphones produce great sound and fold away to pocket size in their own carrier (which also has plenty of room for the ipod).

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but disappointing, 7 Dec 2010
I had one of the original PX100 headphones for many years, which I used while running, and other outdoors activities. I loved them. They were well made, comfortable, they could be folded and stored in a coat pocket and the sound was good. In fact the sound was very good, with good definition of mid range and treble. When they died, I worked my way through numerous headphones, all of which were either no good, or fell to pieces after a month or two. These included a Sennheiser PMX 80 (tight and very painful to wear, causing a blister in one ear), a Sennheiser OMX 80 (disappointing sound, and on a run the ear fills with sweat, making the headphones useless), Sennheiser CX500 (lots of cable noise, too little bass), and a Sennheiser PMX 200 (good build, okay sound, slightly uncomfortable neck band and ear hooks, broke quickly). I also bought an Audio Technica ATH-EC700 GM Earphones for 35 new, and they are superb, but not suitable for running. So when the new PX100-II appeared, I jumped on a pair.

The PX100-II is rather like the old model, it is compact, but with a slightly wider more durable band than the old model, and with slightly nicer overall build. Like the old model the new one folds up and will easily fit into a coat pocket. And the new model has a side cable rather than a cable from each speaker. Sennheiser have ditched the hard plastic case that came with the old model and replaced it with a decent woven soft case with a draw string, a welcome improvement in my view. So far it is looking good. Mmmm, what about the sound? Well that is where the new model falls down. To my ear they sound rather like the PMX200. There is far too much basss, at the expense of the mids and highs. Whatever I listen to my music on my iPod, the bass dominates so much that it ruins the sound. And whereas the old model had mids and highs with good definition, the new model produces slightly mushy mids and highs. Maybe the bass obscures the higher frequencies, or maybe the cost of increasing the bass was a reduction in the higher frequencies. Either way, these are disappointing. The sound is not bad, but neither is it particularly good. To be fair in terms of sound quality the PX100-II is comparable to the PMX200 and better than the OMX80, PMX80 and CX500, but nowhere near as good as the original PX100. If you want quality sound, and you want to listen at a desk, or in a train, then I wholeheartedly recommend the Audio Technica ATH-EC700 GM. There may be equally good headphones at the same price, I would not know, but there is no doubt they walk over the Sennheiser PX100-II. But, if you want a durable, compact, folding headphone at a budget price, and you want it for sports use, such as running, then the PX100-II is a good choice. But I recommend you try and get the old model which in my opinion is much better. Of course I should warn you that this is my subjective opinion. I do not like excessive bass but you might and it does seem to be the fashion these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am the opposite of disappointed., 9 Dec 2010
For 30 the sound that comes out of these is phenomenal. I crave for the sound of the Sennhieser's when I hear poor quality speakers or headphones. I could listen to these all day and all of the night. Due to them being on ear as oppose to closed cup, I wasn't expecting them to be this good but they really are fantastic. I've heard the PX-100s too and I agree that the bass is slightly stronger. However, there is not a big difference and it really depends on your preferred EQ; whether you like more bass or not. The amount of work Sennhieser must have put into making a product that could beat the sound of it's highly acclaimed predecessor, I have no doubt that the II's are better.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!, 9 May 2012
A. Kavanagh - See all my reviews
I have had 2 pairs of these headphones and both pairs have stopped working after 2-3 months. There is obviously a design flaw with this model as both times the sound has stopped coming through one ear. Incredibly frustrating and for a supposedly reputable manufacturer, really disappointing.

Aside from this the actually sound quality is really very good. Noise reduction is only so-so, but they are comfortable enough. If there were more sturdily built and less prone to breakage I would give these 4 stars, but I can't look past the obviously terrible construction of the internal wiring, and for that reason, I'm out. Never buying Sennheisers again, ever.

AVOID!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, high quality and superb sound., 8 Feb 2011
David Butler "Dave Butler" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I don't normally write reviews of gadgets, but I'm very fussy about audio, and these iPhone headphones continue to impress me.

Sennheiser's PX100 Iii is a well thought out folding design made with stainless steel hinges and springs. Even the clicks on the size adjustment feel high quality. The single entry cable is an advantage. Being on the left side it is easy for right handers to reach the microphone and button unit mounted on the cable. I would have preferred it if the mic were a little closer to the ear so it wouldn't chafe on collars and zips etc. The microphone sounds a little tinny, but it is perfectly adequate for speech both for calls and voice memos.

It's so handy having the mic and remote control buttons. It's great for driving and when listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks while working, because you can stop and start or answer a call so easily. I have had these phones for over two weeks and have worn them for many hours each day. At first I found they put too much pressure on my ears but I have become accustomed to this and accept it as necessary for superior base reproduction.

But most importantly, the sound quality is truly superb. The clarity, detail and tight base combine to reveal new material in familiar music and full appreciation of unfamiliar tracks. Even at higher volume levels, there appears to be no detectable distortion. This means fatigue free, listening bliss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cans!, 18 Mar 2010
L. Brown (Basingstoke, England) - See all my reviews
I bought these to relace a pair of Sennheiser over the ear style 'phones. Absolutely no regrets. For such a small pair of heapdphones they have a good depth of bass and are very responsive. Some may find them a little bass heavy, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars One channel will always fail within two years, 29 Feb 2012
Gołębnik (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
These headphones are great while they are working -- comortable, nicely foldable, and with a very pleasing sound. However, in my experience, one channel always fails within two years. I am only awarding them one star because I feel that such a product should last more than two years, and if it does not, it is not fit for purpose.

When buying from Amazon, you have to return the headphones to Sennheiser Ireland (service@sennheiserserviceireland.com), who are helpful, if a little slow. The headphones have a two-year guarantee. Sennheiser Ireland will send you a return code, you then post the headphones to them (you do have to pay postage, unfortunately), and a few weeks later you'll receive a replacement pair.

I have returned both of our original pairs, when they both failed within two years, and have also now returned both of our replacement pairs, as the same thing happened. I expect these replacement-replacement pairs also to lose sound in one channel within two years.

You could have an endless cycle of sending your headphones back to Sennheiser Ireland every year or two and waiting for replacements, but personally I am completely sick of this, and will now look for an alternative, more reliable pair of headphones.