4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job OK
Never really liked VHS to DVD programs, have tried many with all the same results.
Bad video quality, sometimes even worse than the source, copyright warnings telling me
that i am a pirate trying to copy a family birthday video and constant freezing and crashes.

Published on 18 April 2010 by A. GILL

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks smart, but what a disappointment....
Before I talk about this product, I used it with the system specs of: Windows 7, with 2GB RAM & a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 5000+ 2.61GHz.

Published on 18 April 2010 by MyKeyReviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job OK, 18 April 2010
A. GILL "ag55" - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

So i didn't have high expectations for this when i got it. I assumed (wrongly) that it was just
another one with lots of marketing added on like 'Version 4.0' and 'Turbo Deluxe Transfers' etc.

I am happy to say that, for the most part this program, or package does a really nice job of
transferring videos from VHS to a digital format. It does claim to do editing and uploading to
YouTube, and everything else we want these days, but this is a really bad attempt at that. My
advice would be to avoid the editing altogether and do it in another, more stable program like
Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premiere Pro. This is great for the transfer process though.

A quick warning here before you think about buying this is make sure your PC is up to scratch.
The whole transfer process is high on resources. I initially tried it on a Core 2 Duo with 2GB
RAM and it pushed that to the limit. There was a fair amount of stuttering, and the whole thing
went very slow. So i moved it onto my other PC which is a Core i7 with 6GB RAM and all was fine.

How does it work you ask? You connect the supplied 'VIDBOX' to your computer via the included USB
2.0 cable, and then connect a pair of AV cables (red, yellow and white) from the box to the device
you want to capture from, be it a camcorder, DVD player or VCR etc. (There are no AV cables included though)
Using the easy to use program you just select your options and away it goes. Simple as can be really.
My tip would be to output to MPEG-2 format as its good quality for DVDs and i found it to be the best.

The process does take time, especially depending on the length of your tapes etc. As for cost its not exactly cheap,
but if you do have a large collection of tapes then bringing them into the digital age is probably priceless. If you only
have a couple of tapes then there are professional services which could be more cost effective.

So to summarise, its definitely better than the other VHS-DVD programs i have tried. Very easy to use,
setup and installation is quick and simple, and you also have the user manual and .PDF guide to assist you.
Transfer process just works first time as it should. Editing and other more advanced stuff does not work quite
as well, but i would whole heartedly recommend it to you if your just wanting to digitize your old VHS memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars VHS to DVD V4.0 Review, 26 Jun 2010
M. VOYZEY (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VHS to DVD deluxe 4.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I have just purchased this software from Amazon I was a little weary at first of purchasing it as I was not really sure it would do what I wanted. Iam running windows XP it worked really well a few hiccups at the beginning I tried the easy wizard part it started to copy my VHS tape and about 2 minutes in stopped and then decided to burn the 2 minutes to DVD so I tried the advanced mode this worked perfectly I have also tried to copy a program from my Thomson Digital Recorder and it does that as well and if you buy the package that Amazon are offering the AV Cable and Scart Adaptor this is all you will need I can honestly recommend this software to anyone you will not be dissapointed and incase you are wondering yes my old VHS tape was a shop purchased Documentary film on VHS that is no longer availbale so I really wanted to transfer to DVD for safe keeping. Once registered there is a update to the software on the disc which is about 53mb.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks smart, but what a disappointment...., 18 April 2010
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

That said it's important to note that you will need extra equipment depending on what you are wanting to convert; for me I chose this product soley for converting my VHS's to the computer / PC so for me to do this I needed a VCR and an RCA cable, which luckily I had already. So make sure you have the extra's before you consider buying this as the product only provides the VIDBOX, a USB 2.0 cable to connect it to your PC & of course a Disk with all the installation features.

O.K so this product does state it's 'Vista' compatible and mentions nothing about Windows 7 support, but it seemed to install perfectly fine on my PC which has the Windows 7 Operating System. Then once up and running after the program asked me to register the product it forwarded me to it's Home site which then gave me an option to download an update which improves Windows 7 compatibility aswell as other important updates. Connecting this product from your VCR to your PC is very simple, you plug the RCA cable from your VCR to the VIDBOX and then link up the PC and VIDBOX via a USB cable (provided).

When you load up the programs application three options pop-up:
Easy Wizard Mode: "Transfer your video to DVD or Blu-Ray Disk with one click. Step-by-Step pictorial instructions guide you through the process."
Advance Mode: "Campture video from your analog or HDV/DV camcorder, VCR or DVD player. Trim unwanted scenes add transition effects. Create menus and burn to DVD or Blu-Ray Disk."
Audio Recorder: Record audio from your cassettes, LP records, and video tapes to create WMA files or audio CD's."

I went for the 'Advance Mode', which has three tabs; "1.Capture", "2.Edit" & "3.Burn".
The interface itself is smart looking and is easy to navigate, but then everything goes down hill...
The picture was as expected, it's the exact same quality as you would get from a VHS, and you can make it 16:9 ratio which was nice, but the problem was that it didn't seem to capture the audio correctly, the audio skips and just doesn't sound right.
However I wanted to make sure it wasn't just the VCR player so I disconnected everything, and hooked my VCR too the TV and the audio was fine, I then reconnected the VHS converter to the VCR and the audio went back to rubbish!

"Maybe it's the cable" I thought, so I changed the cable and still the same result... BAD SKIPPING AUDIO!!! I then tried the 'Easy Wizard Mode' and still had the exact same results... I have even been through all the different settings experimenting with the audio and no matter what I do I just can't seem to get it to work right.

To finalise my tests I decided to connect my PlayStation to the converter; the picture was fine however their was quite a big delay and once again I had bad skipping audio.

To finalise my review, I haven't had a good experience with this product at all.
Althought the product looks good and the concept is great, it just cannot deliver what I chose it for.

There could be some reasons to why I am having these audio problems such as it could be a faulty unit or even the compatibility for Win7 isn't complete, maybe I need more RAM, but the main point is that it didn't work for me so I would say give it a miss.

I hope this review has helped, and I kindly ask for people to comment if they have or have not been having the same issues as me and what Specs their computer has: (O/S & RAM).

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Results, 13 Nov 2010
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have got a lot of very precious home video footage on VHS tapes and needed something that would allow me to easily transfer across to DVD for a more permanent storage solution. I hoped that the VHS to DVD 4.0 Deluxe package would provide the answer. Unfortunately it did not.

To start with, you do not get everything that you need in the box. You do get a very neat (small) box that provides the means for you to connect from your existing VHS recorder to your PC or laptop via a (supplied) USB cable. You do not get the lead that takes the audio and visual data from the VHS recorder to the unit, which seemed to be an unnecessary exclusion given the presence of the USB lead (I have plenty of the latter but none of the former easily to hand). I don't really understand why you would include one and not the other.

Anyway, the necessary software to do the job loaded up without incident and I transferred some video footage onto the PC. The results were very disappointing. I experienced problems with synchronising audio and the picture quality was poorer than I had anticipated (I appreciate VHS tapes deteriorate over time but have copied VHS to VHS in the past so don't expect the copies to be perfect). I have decided the problems with the end result are sufficient that I intend to seek an alternative solution for converting my films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, talking pictures..., 9 May 2010
techpuppy "aka stylepuppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
UPDATE: It finally works! Initially I had the same audio problem that some other people have suffered and the audio was so broken up it was unusable. Eventually Honestech released an update (version 4.0.37) to fix it, but that upgrade didn't seem to work for me. I gave it one last try by completely uninstalling and reinstalling the package (including the separate Vidbox driver) and it's finally working and capturing both video and audio in sync.

The USB Vidbox hardware is actually quite capable and does a creditable job of capturing full-resolution VHS video - but of course it can't do very much to improve the fuzzy picture quality of VHS and it takes as long to capture videos as it takes to play them, so you need to be patient. If your VHS player uses a SCART connection be sure to use the right kind of cable to connect to the Vidbox. SCART is wired separately for input and output and some cheaper cables are only wired one-way. Switchable cables (for example Hama Phono to SCART Switchable Cable) can cope with both input and output and will usually work.

The software allows you to choose from several preset video formats - WMV, DVD (MPEG2 at up to 720/576 resolution) and VCD (MPEG1 at 352/288) and you have to be careful which preset you choose, otherwise your projects can get split into separate files which you'll have to join again later. Capturing video in real-time is a demanding task but worked fine on my mid-range dual-core laptop (Windows 7 with 4GB RAM) - but it's probably still advisable to quit all other app's and disconnect other USB devices during a capture.

The weakest elements of the package are the subsequent conversion and editing options. The DVD option is simple to use and creates a DVD a menu in your choice of (slightly cheesy) themes. There are also preset options to convert your videos to mp4's for PSP, for iPods/iPhone or for YouTube. Annoyingly, the iPod presets are capped at quarter-resolution even though most iPods can playback much higher resolution videos. You also cannot capture straight to mp4, you have to capture a WMV or MPG version first then convert it.

Bringing your analogue VHS recordings into the digital era is always going to be a protracted process but Honestech package makes a decent job of the initial capture. The conversion and editing options are less impressive and my suggestion would be to use the VHS-to-DVD as your capture device and then download the free video app Handbrake for doing subsequent conversions - Handbrake is far more capable, comes with much better iPod/iPhone presets and is faster - it's also available for Mac and Linux.

PS: Multi-platform households might like to know that the Honestech Vidbox also works with Mac's if you're willing to buy a copy of 'VideoGlide' for $30 - this also allows you to capture straight to mp4 if you have a speedy Mac.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty poor, 8 Jan 2012
Little Cat Voom (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
However much you might want to convert your VHS to DVD, get a decent product that costs a lot more than this - you`ll probably find yourself quite frustrated and failing in your original objective if you use this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a good PC, 23 Sep 2010
Paul Stewart "Paul Stewart" (Stocklinch, Somerset) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Other reviewers have complained about the poor audio synchronisation.

I had the same problem on my Sony VAIO laptop that has a core 2 duo processor and Vista.

Put the box onto my desktop and what a difference. This machine has an Intel quad core, i7 920 overclocked to 3.2GHz, 6 GBytes Ram and Windows 7 64 bit.

I plugged our old video recorder in and have converted several of our old family VHS and VHS C home videos to DVD.

The quality is adequate and equals the original.

Next up, converting my vinyl collection to CD

2.0 out of 5 stars better alternatives available, 19 April 2012
B Smith (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are better alternatives available in my opinion, that let you transfer video tapes to digital formats, like your PC. Transferring to just a DVD doesn't make sense to me. I found it hard to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much of a faff, 29 Jun 2013
Crazy Seahorse "Crazy Seahorse" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The problem with this product is that you never really get round to using it. Transferring old video into digital takes a long time, and the quality is not that great when you finish, depending how it does on the old video you have used as a source. It is the old adage that the quality you put in dictates the quality you get out. IF you are motivated enough to put those old memories into the digital world, then this works OK, and is quite straight forward to use. I am not one of those people nor are the three others I have leant this product too, in order to get a more proactive view - they have all handed it back after a few months, unused and saying that they hadn't quite gotten round to it. The best thing is that it has made me face up to throwing a load of old stuff away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: VHS to DVD deluxe 4.0 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this quite a while ago but I can honestly say that this works and is easy to use whether your a novice user or an expert, installation was simple, connecting all the hardware was easy and the software was a easy to use system. To be honest as long as you have the correct computer specifications, you follow the instructions properly, you can't go wrong!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

VHS to DVD deluxe 4.0 (PC CD)
VHS to DVD deluxe 4.0 (PC CD) by Honestech (Windows Vista / XP)
Used & New from: 29.99