5.0 out of 5 stars New Mahler recital heads the field, 5 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Mahler: Lieder (Audio CD)
There is a plethora of recordings of Mahler's songs. Few great singers can resist the challenge of participating in one of the cycles or giving a solo recital. But this new entry is very special. Christian Gerhaber has the kind of velvety baritone admirably suited to these songs and his interpretation admirably accompanied by pianist Gerold Huber are highly sensitive. My own library is perhaps over-crowded with Mahler symphonies, song cycles and song recitals - but this is already a favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only know Schubert & Schumann lieder, do buy this, 7 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Mahler: Lieder (Audio CD)
First and foremost these are beautiful performances: the Huber Gerhaher partnership is made in heaven. Their synergy enables natural performances where every note, phrase, line is just right! There is no affectation. Christian Gerhaher has a voice that is a joy to hear equally matched by Gerald Huber's amazing playing and sound.
...and the Mahler songs...? If you are familiar with them, they will need no introduction. If you are not, but you enjoy song, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Imposing Lieder CD, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Mahler: Lieder (Audio CD)
This fine baritone, Christian Gerhaher, wasn`t familiar to me until, about one month ago, I heard him singing two of Bach`s Cantatas and Zelenka`s Lamentationes as the soloist of our Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Heinz Holliger. I was totally charmed: What a voice!
I`m just a common listener of classical music, I like beautiful and not too modern music. I can`t write any profound evaluations of musical performances. But I can say I loved to listen to Christian Gerhaher.
Gustav Mahler has never been one of my great favourites, and I`m ashamed to admit that I`ve been a bit reluctant to Lieder on the whole. But that`s over now, along with this divine vocalist! Luckily for me he has recorded plenty of CDs with his regular piano partner Gerold Huber and with some orchestras, too. I started my collection with this wonderful CD of Mahler`s Lieder and I`ve already enjoyed it several times.
Later, 3.3.2015, added
This CD won in 2010 The German Record Critique`s Award and Edison Award and in 2011 International Classical Music Award.

Mahler: Lieder