5.0 out of 5 stars Good Step Up From FT4
Published on 15 Sep 2010 by Nat Brooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work
I bought this after reading good reviews about it. I have always worn Garmin HRM but this was decently priced.

Published 6 months ago by Black Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Step Up From FT4, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: Polar FT7 Men's Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch (Sports)
Just got a few of these for customers at my gym. Being a personal trainer it's important to know the customers calorie burn and if they are working at the right intensity to improving their fitness. The FT7 breaks these 2 things down to 1 simple screen shot. All you do is input the users personal details just once then press start! You then strap on the chest belt and you can see on the unit a heart rate % that moves between 2 lines to show if your working in a zone to burn calories or to improve your fitness. After each session you can check the file and it gives you lot's of feed back. You can also by a flowlink to down load the files on to Polar software. Great simple product that looks cool all the time!

4.0 out of 5 stars FT7 HRM - Ideal HRM for indoor exercise., 30 April 2012
I've been using the FT7 for a few weeks and am pleased with it. I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 305 for years and love it but it has a fatal flaw for indoor exercise classes- it doesn't record calories burned unless you are running around outside so it's a non-starter for Body Combat etc.

After looking around I went for the Polar FT7 HRM

Pros:
+Clear time indication (although day and date are a bit small and unclear)
+Easy one time setup eg, weight, and date of birth.
+One touch Start button to start recording your exercise
+One touch Finish button to stop recording your exercise.
+Waterproof (ok to swim and shower but don't press the buttons underwater!)
+Easy to use
+Records 99 exercise sessions and shows them in an easy to navigate graphical view. You can select a session and view duration, calories, max and ave heart rate among other stats.
+Shows calories burned over the last week.
+Shows pulse or % of maximum while exercising
+If you move the watch to the transmitter belt it temporarily shows the time
+Backlight button
+User replaceable battery on watch and transmitter keeps the cost down
+The transmitter clips onto the strap so is easily removed.
+Strap is easily washed - Garmin recommend that you rinse the belt after each use and put it in the washing machine every week.
+The watch is very light in weight.
+Alarm

Cons
- There's no timer function so you can't measure how long you've been exercising or if you are in a race, how long you'be been running for.
- It's a bit thick for a watch and not particularly attractive.

Hope that helps someone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fitness Product Ever!, 18 Dec 2011
This is the best Fitness product I have ever bought! I haven't written a review on Amazon in 4 years, but I feel compelled to tell people about this. The FT7 does everything I need and nothing more & for £64 is incredible value. The strap around my chest to measure and transmit my heart beat to the watch is comfortable, and when running you don't even notice it. I'm 32 and haven't done any running in 2 years so very unfit but not overweight! In the past I've always gotten on the treadmill and run for as long as possible then stopped, taken a rest and then do some weights! This bad, especially if you want to burn calories, which is what I want to do and the Polar FT7 has taught be this by using it. I want to burn calories and increase fitness so ideally I should be looking to keep my heart rate going between 75% - 90% of my maximum heart rate. Once you've put in your details, age, weight, height, it works out your max heart rate and it's down to me to keep within this range, it has an alarm which you can set to your desired level to tell you when to slow down. This means I can keep exercising for longer, burn more calories, get my energy levels up and at the same time not get tired so quickly because I'm never pushing my heart rate to the max. Excellent product, wish I'd known the detailed benefits of Polar a few years ago and I would have bought it in a heart beat!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I could need from a heart rate monitor, 7 Feb 2011
I don't have a pen name "the_metro_area" (West London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I initially started looking at heart rate monitors because of the unreliable readings I was getting from the Technogym equipment I used at the gym. The beauty of this Polar one is the 'owncode' feature where the chest strap transmits directly to the machines I use seamlessly, I get on the bike and my heart rate is already displaying.
I picked the FT7 as it seemed a middle of the road choice, it does all I want it to and nothing more. The watch is easy to set up, input your height/weight/date of birth and it works out what your max heart rate should be and where the line is between fat burn and fitness. The chest strap is an ample size and there is plenty of slack despite me being a pretty big guy, it's easy to get on comfortably and I've never had any communication issues with it and the watch, it's also washable so I just stick it in with my gym stuff each time. When working out the functions on the watch track heart rate/calorie burn/workout time/which workout zone you are in (fitness/fat burn), and after each work out you can see totals and average/max heart rate. The watch saves these so you can look back at previous sessions and compare, you can buy a flowlink and connect up to a PC but that seems expensive for what it offers.

I have found this excellent so far, though I do have an observation on calorie counter. My gym system gives me a calorie count per exercise directly linked to the equipment I use so I expect this to be spot on, the watch figure is about double this. While I'd love to think I'm burning 900 calories each time I'm not too sure, maybe they're both wrong?!

Overall I really recommend this if you're looking for a heart rate monitor, I've found this a good motivational & educational tool and it helps me stay in 'the zone' at the gym.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 2 Jun 2014

The main issue was the loss of signal between the watch and monitor - I used it while jogging to the gym and it kept cutting out. I found that if I pressed hard, it would activate again but who wants to run about holding it all the time. I adjusted the strap and made it tighter - no difference.

Returned and refunded today, I'll stick with Garmin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Has to be the worst HRM that I have purchased, 15 Sep 2014
Has to be the worst HRM that I have purchased, my last polar allowed me to display HR and time while running. The FT7M does not the display contrast is poor making reading this HRM while training an almost impossibility, support for the products are poor
I would suggest getting an older model or even better still get a garmin.
Online support is useless and so is the user manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never too late!, 5 Feb 2011
nigel howard "Nige" (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
At my medical when the Doctor said "there is a problem with the ECG..." I immediately welled up and found it all very emotional. After I calmed down the Doctor explained it looked like it was the machine and that they would redo the tests. The results were fine. My learning was that this was an omen and an opportunity to get myself sorted. My mate Mark said "get a heart monitor and burn 3500 calories a week" and listen to your doctor (diet, snacks, relax etc.). This equates to 1lb - do this for a year and that will be over two stone. 4 weeks on, I am still a SAGA member and have just got in from a 30 mile/1950 cals cycle ride! Would not have done this 4 weeks ago. I chose the FT7 over other HM as it has a built in databank holding 99 exercise sessions so I can easily monitor my data for the week. The fact it keeps weekly totals was a benefit I did not really think of at the time but is invaluable. Whilst I would not go so far to say it has been life changing, it has certainly helped me in taking up a more active life style with the FT7 helping me to understand when I am gaining fitness, burning fat, and what it means in calories.

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly designed - don't buy it, 14 Nov 2014
H. Dunlop (London) - See all my reviews
Ok, it works as a heart rate monitor and it is waterproof, but for a mid-range product it is cheap and nasty and badly designed. It is a significantly worse product than the Polar I bought about 10 years ago for less money but was gradually falling apart. What's wrong with it?
1. The strap is extremely uncomfortable - the metal buckle digs into your wrist.
2. The display is hard to read. The design of a black screen with grey characters is rubbish. There is no light either.
3. If you can read the display, you are very limited by the display options of: time, time of exercise, heart rate. YOU CAN'T SEE 2 THINGS AT THE SAME TIME. Honestly, this is idiotic.
Conclusion - The designers should be turning in their graves at how bad a product they have brought to market. (I assume they have died because they must be so incompetent they cannot be capable of dealing with the everyday tasks of eating, sleeping. Or probably even breathing.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping me train!, 31 July 2013
Really pleased with this product, costs a little more than some but think it looks and feels good as well as all the expected functions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, 18 Dec 2012
This is the best gift my girlfriend ever gave me. Using the FT7 to monitor my activities in conjunction to the site helped me to lose 10 Kg in 4 months by monitoring my calories consumption.