5.0 out of 5 stars Good Step Up From FT4
Published on 15 Sept. 2010 by Nat Brooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good prchase
I had high expectations of this watch and heart rate monitor having read numerous reviews on how good it was. First, the watch itself looks and feel great when on the wrist. The functions are easy to navigate through and setting up your personal statistics is straightforward.

Published 18 months ago by A.New

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Step Up From FT4, 15 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Polar FT7 Men's Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch (Sports)
Just got a few of these for customers at my gym. Being a personal trainer it's important to know the customers calorie burn and if they are working at the right intensity to improving their fitness. The FT7 breaks these 2 things down to 1 simple screen shot. All you do is input the users personal details just once then press start! You then strap on the chest belt and you can see on the unit a heart rate % that moves between 2 lines to show if your working in a zone to burn calories or to improve your fitness. After each session you can check the file and it gives you lot's of feed back. You can also by a flowlink to down load the files on to Polar software. Great simple product that looks cool all the time!

4.0 out of 5 stars FT7 HRM - Ideal HRM for indoor exercise., 30 April 2012
I've been using the FT7 for a few weeks and am pleased with it. I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 305 for years and love it but it has a fatal flaw for indoor exercise classes- it doesn't record calories burned unless you are running around outside so it's a non-starter for Body Combat etc.

After looking around I went for the Polar FT7 HRM

Pros:
+Clear time indication (although day and date are a bit small and unclear)
+Easy one time setup eg, weight, and date of birth.
+One touch Start button to start recording your exercise
+One touch Finish button to stop recording your exercise.
+Waterproof (ok to swim and shower but don't press the buttons underwater!)
+Easy to use
+Records 99 exercise sessions and shows them in an easy to navigate graphical view. You can select a session and view duration, calories, max and ave heart rate among other stats.
+Shows calories burned over the last week.
+Shows pulse or % of maximum while exercising
+If you move the watch to the transmitter belt it temporarily shows the time
+Backlight button
+User replaceable battery on watch and transmitter keeps the cost down
+The transmitter clips onto the strap so is easily removed.
+Strap is easily washed - Garmin recommend that you rinse the belt after each use and put it in the washing machine every week.
+The watch is very light in weight.
+Alarm

Cons
- There's no timer function so you can't measure how long you've been exercising or if you are in a race, how long you'be been running for.
- It's a bit thick for a watch and not particularly attractive.

Hope that helps someone!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Heart Rate Monitor which will help you to get fitter and lose weight, 21 Feb. 2014
It is well known that monitoring your heart rate is important when working towards greater fitness and weight loss. However, typical exercise machines do not always measure accurately and much more can be achieved using an HRM which you can keep using as you go from machine to machine. The excellent point about this unit is that you simply input your measurements eg. weight, height etc. and it will work out the various measurements for you - recommended heart rate for fat burn, increased fitness and maximum level. This will help you to train within the correct and appropriate limits.
The unit comes complete with a well built and comfortable 'watch', adjustable strap which goes across your chest and transmitter unit for the chest strap. This transmitter unit is coded to the watch which means that you will see only your reading when working out in a situation with several people using HRMs - very useful if you want to use this in a gym.
Combined with the price, this is good unit which is only spoilt by the fact that the beeps which tell you when you go above or below your planned heart rate range are inaudible. Previous models which I had have been much better. Apart from this, an excellent unit which will help you in your quest for fitness and/or weight loss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality HRM, 23 Oct. 2013
I spent a lot of time looking into getting a HRM - and finally plumped for this one, as I was interested in the Heartrate "zones". The graphic on the screen shots suggest that it will give you an idea of what zone you are in.

Well it kinda does - it gets you to the "fitness zone" which I *think* is the Aerobic zone - but it might be the Fat Burning zone... not sure. It didn't 'map' to my expectations. Anyway, I have memorized the zone ranges in my head so I can glance down at it when training/running - or look at my cross trainer display (because it syncs up beautifully!). It will also beep discreetly at you if you start to "Red Line" (start to push too hard).

It records you last 10 or so sessions and it can link up to a PC with a bit more kit to download your results, if you wish to purchase it.

The chest band seems fine and it is comfortable; It hasn't slipped down on my body when running/training - it is elasticated and you should adjust it tight enough.

It just works, and it works well. I knock a star off unfairly(?) because it didn't have enough zones information (a bit more granularity - not just "Fitness" and "Red Line" beeps).

In hind sight, I only needed to know the numbers. There isn't any danger (for me) of Red Lining for too long as when I feel *that* tired, I just check the heart rate number and think "yep! slow down!"{pant!}

3.0 out of 5 stars Good prchase, 15 Nov. 2013

This watch would be better if it had a lap timer stop/start function like many other cheap sport watches on the market. Second, I'd like to comment on the chest strap and heart rate monitor. Very comfortable to wear and easily adjustable. It can also be machined washed which is refreshing after 5/6 workouts.

Unfortunately, every time I have used the heart rate function, 50% of the time I have lost signal. After attempting to re-wet the sensors and wait for the signal to return, I have on many occasions had to stop my workout and reset the function. This is very frustrating.

The display feature are aesthetically pleasing with the heart rate moving between the "fitness and fat burn" or you can alternate between % (which is my prefered preference).

Overall, this product has the potential to deliver a 5 star rating with the price relatively cheap, however, a few niggles of losing signal leaves it only getting 3 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fitness Product Ever!, 18 Dec. 2011
This is the best Fitness product I have ever bought! I haven't written a review on Amazon in 4 years, but I feel compelled to tell people about this. The FT7 does everything I need and nothing more & for £64 is incredible value. The strap around my chest to measure and transmit my heart beat to the watch is comfortable, and when running you don't even notice it. I'm 32 and haven't done any running in 2 years so very unfit but not overweight! In the past I've always gotten on the treadmill and run for as long as possible then stopped, taken a rest and then do some weights! This bad, especially if you want to burn calories, which is what I want to do and the Polar FT7 has taught be this by using it. I want to burn calories and increase fitness so ideally I should be looking to keep my heart rate going between 75% - 90% of my maximum heart rate. Once you've put in your details, age, weight, height, it works out your max heart rate and it's down to me to keep within this range, it has an alarm which you can set to your desired level to tell you when to slow down. This means I can keep exercising for longer, burn more calories, get my energy levels up and at the same time not get tired so quickly because I'm never pushing my heart rate to the max. Excellent product, wish I'd known the detailed benefits of Polar a few years ago and I would have bought it in a heart beat!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 3rd one, really like product when it works, 13 Jan. 2014
Hi, I really like this heart rate monitor, I am a triathlete and its waterproof which is essential. I bought one about 2 years ago and loved it but watch stopped working, I had battery replaced to no avail. I had lost details of my purchase although it was still within 2 year warranty, so I bought a new one and made sure I kept all receipts and packaging which I am glad I did. I had the second one since April 2013 (and sensor stopped working in December, the watch was reading a 00 heart rate) I sent an email to Amazon and they were amazing, they responded within hours, sent me a working replacement which I am really grateful for and also prepaid for the return item which I sent back. I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky with this one as I have paid for 2 and have one working in the same 2 year period but it works great when it works and I use it a lot for long durations. It does not have GPS which is ok for me and I don't want to turn you off buying, its a great product but I'm a little apprehensive so I suggest if you buy one keep your receipts for warranty but hopefully it will stay working. I am more amazed at the wonderful customer service Amazon provide, Thank you Amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Also the display on thewatch is sooo dimly lit you can barely see the ..., 2 Jan. 2015
I nearly sent this monitor back as I was finding it hard getting a signal from the chest monitor. You really need to moisten the strap with water before fitting as it will struggle. Also the display on the watch is sooo dimly lit you can barely see the screen unless you use the light.
The reason I decided to keep it is that every other review I saw on similar monitors all had issues of there own & thought I would end up with something else but with some other issue!
I would not recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I could need from a heart rate monitor, 7 Feb. 2011
I don't have a pen name "the_metro_area" (West London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I initially started looking at heart rate monitors because of the unreliable readings I was getting from the Technogym equipment I used at the gym. The beauty of this Polar one is the 'owncode' feature where the chest strap transmits directly to the machines I use seamlessly, I get on the bike and my heart rate is already displaying.
I picked the FT7 as it seemed a middle of the road choice, it does all I want it to and nothing more. The watch is easy to set up, input your height/weight/date of birth and it works out what your max heart rate should be and where the line is between fat burn and fitness. The chest strap is an ample size and there is plenty of slack despite me being a pretty big guy, it's easy to get on comfortably and I've never had any communication issues with it and the watch, it's also washable so I just stick it in with my gym stuff each time. When working out the functions on the watch track heart rate/calorie burn/workout time/which workout zone you are in (fitness/fat burn), and after each work out you can see totals and average/max heart rate. The watch saves these so you can look back at previous sessions and compare, you can buy a flowlink and connect up to a PC but that seems expensive for what it offers.

I have found this excellent so far, though I do have an observation on calorie counter. My gym system gives me a calorie count per exercise directly linked to the equipment I use so I expect this to be spot on, the watch figure is about double this. While I'd love to think I'm burning 900 calories each time I'm not too sure, maybe they're both wrong?!

Overall I really recommend this if you're looking for a heart rate monitor, I've found this a good motivational & educational tool and it helps me stay in 'the zone' at the gym.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER DUPER WATCH-does what it says!!, 15 Dec. 2012
Love love love this watch!! It's so easy to use,took no time at all to get it going(comes with batteries).I ordered the Red with the Silver Stripe.It's a nice red colour and not a crazy bright red thank goodness as i think it would have looked real tacky otherwise!
It comes with a chest belt/strap and a little transmitter that you click on to the belt/strap with 2 pop press buttons (very easy).NO silly gels to use on the belt..hate that stuff so i'm really happy about that!
I'm chest size 32" and it fits nicely-you can adjust it too very simply if you want.It's a hook in style strap by the way,us ladies will be used to that hehee!
The screen is very easy to read.My partner also bought one in Black with Silver Stripe and just to let you know,the strap and face is bigger on the Black one compared to the Red one i have.He's over the moon with his watch too!
I'm sure there are better ones out there but one of the best USA gym PT trainers i know uses it and recommended it to me and said best to buy from Amazon,so we did and i'm soooo grateful to her and Amazon for this wicked buy-fantastic price and service:))