on 20 February 2012
Now I'm one of those poor souls whose hands and feet remain freezing cold from October to late May every year, so I thought maybe one of these nifty little hand-warmers might be useful.

After taking stock of the reviews currently on amazon, I took a punt and ordered one as it wasn't a huge amount of money.
It arrived very quickly indeed, and I tried the warmer over the weekend.

The charcoal lit very easily - you just need to make sure you hold the lighting flame on the end of the charcoal stick for long enough to see the red glow right through to the middle of the stick. Might take a couple of minutes of lighting and gentle blowing to be sure; just like trying to light a charcoal disc to put incense on, it isn't lit enough if just the very edge is only just alight. I gave it a couple of gentle blows just to be sure, and shut the lid.

From a gentle warmth initially, it gradually built up over 2 to 3 hours, and provided a lovely relief from cold hands. After this time, it became proper hot and needed to be put into the secondary pouch. This real heat then lasted for a further 2 hours, making the heat from one charcoal stick last at least 5 hours. Super.

When the instructions say to beware of real heat from this, they do mean it; it just takes time to build up.
And the end result of the ash from the burnt charcoal was easily disposed of - just open the burner up and tip it out (when cold!) into a bin. Leaves a clean pad on which to place the next stick to be burned. Sorted.

It does smell of burning charcoal, and if you sniff at your hands, there is that smell there for sure, but after all, that's what it's doing to provide you with the heat. But it's only a really strong smell if you sniff at the casing, and I find that a small price to pay for warm hands. I probably wouldn't notice it in the middle of a camping field where there are fires lit around about.

I like this, it's a fab idea, and it works. And I'm very much looking forward to having warm hands on cold camping trips.
on 3 February 2011
Very well made case and excellent charcoal sticks that are easy to light and burn properly with out any smell and until after 3 hours they burn out.
on 21 April 2013
I have tried twice to use this but each time the charcoal has failed to stay burning- even when I lit both ends!
Having used a similar warmer for many years and only bought a new one because the lining of the old one was thinning with age-I do know how to use them- so this was disappointing.
The start rating descriptiuon is inadequate for this.
on 10 August 2012
Not much you can really say about a metal box that has burning stuff inside it... You put some fire under the end of the charcoal stick, blow on it a bit to get it glowing nicely, shut it inside the case and giv it a few minutes. Stays very warm for several hours, keeps you toasty, smells of burning charcoal.

Can't really go wrong with this. I use mine while out in the field, the most extreme occasion being in a foxhole during a very cold January weekend. With just normal clothing and a thin woolen blanket, having this warming away underneath kept me nice and happy. In fact, I feel warm and sleepy just remembering it!
on 24 June 2012
GELERT POCKET HANDWARMER HAND WARMER AND 12 REFILS NEW

The fuel stick was sometimes difficult to light.
Once it got going it takes about 1/2 hour to get warm.
Unfortunately it only lasts 2 hours max. (I have read somewhere that they last up to 6 hours)
I even tried having the lit end upwards when in my pocket but still only lasted 2 hrs.
Having said all that I wouldn't be without them (I purchased 2).
They really get very warm.
Much better than the gel types which only get lukewarm and only last 1/2 hour if you're lucky.
A great product, highly recommended.
on 7 April 2014
Had one of these for years so brought for a friend just stay away from gelert charcoal sticks as they didn't stay lit
on 23 March 2013
I have used it about 10 times since purchase and never has the charcoal stayed alight for its full length and many times it has gone out within half an hour.

Not good enough.
on 10 December 2014
Just what I needed. My sister had one of these over 40 years ago, I did not realise they could still be purchased. I love it. Thank you.
on 16 January 2015
Great product. Old school. Just remember light the stick in the middle for more heat but lasts less but really does the job
on 5 January 2016
Great piece of kit on those cold days sat fishing . Lasts longer than the gel so perfect , great value for the money