on 10 November 2012
I've had this light for about a year and a half and recommend it. It is very bright, has one focussed lens for throw and one diffused lens to spread the beam better (should be mounted horizontally to take advantage of this feature). It's a simple and sturdy design with good rubber sealing and a prominent central button with good feedback which lets you switch the light on easily while wearing thick gloves. I am also able to reach around and switch it on or off whilst riding eg. through a tunnel or through a dark tree section during the day. Battery life is decent enough. The seatpost mount is solid and hasn't broken on me yet, the light also has a sturdy clip that can be fitted to bag/clothing etc. There are a couple of small niggles. Firstly the switch doesn't always operate every time you press it to switch modes or turn it on and off. It's never been too bad in this respect though. When mounting the light on the seatpost bracket you need to slide the clip on the unit into the bracket and it secures with a small click sound when it locks into place. You need to be quite careful that you have pushed it onto the mount properly for it to be secure, as it's quite easy to get it wrong. Once it is on properly it is very solid. Overall it's definitely the best rear light I've used, and is pretty cheap too these days.
I was amazed just how bright this rear light is, it has an intensity that defies belief, it states on the box that you should not look directly at the beam and I can see why.

I used a half watt led rear light made by Smart that had seen better days, the lens was cracked and moisture was getting in to the electronics, so was time for replacement, this RSP Astrum is a very worthy replacement. The light has 3 modes constant(preferred) flash and alternating flash, all modes are very bright and attention grabbing, but the constant mode is the only one you can legally use if the light is fixed to your bike.

The only let down with this light is the instructions, they are just a small diagram on the outside of the box that briefly describes the bracket.

The bracket is OK but a little flimsy, it will do the job though.

Comes supplied with good quality alkaline AAA batteries that should last well.

Be seen, be safe, get this light on the back of you bike and anyone knocking you off has no defence.

I note with interest that this light is imported by Raleigh.
on 4 November 2014
A great light. It feels high-end and heavy in the hand, and is absurdly bright. The switch/button is solid and cycles through options reliably, so you're not wasting time trying to turn it off, as you often see with cheaper lights.

The mechanism holding it to your bike could probably be a little better for the price, however. I have seen more secure fittings on cheaper lights (the part that ties it on to your seat post). As for the bit that the light slides into, this doesn't feel overwhelmingly secure. It's flexible, so it can probably absorb some of the shock from hitting a pothole, but it slides in and out a little too easily and makes you feel uneasy that you're going to be forking out again soon.

However, that hasn't actually happened yet, and the fittings may prove to be deceptively secure - and the main thing is that this light will make you very, very visible. If anything, I'm scared that someone is going to be blinded by it and ram me in anger.
on 5 January 2015
ive bought quite a few lights in my time but this is by far the best!
ive been cyling for 20 years and this is the best value for money ever!
until now ive been wasting my time and money on cheaper lights becuase every time i looked for good quality lights they were stupidly expensive.

honestly, i cant praise this enough, its VERY bright, and made well (unlike other cheap plastic ones that snap easily) buy it now, without a doubt you wont be disapointed.
on 19 August 2014
This light is perfect for my needs. I was looking for a bright light for daytime and dusk use. They are certainly very bright with the three modes of use. Very easy to fix using the clip on the back of the light or the bracket. It does feel secure for road use but I wouldn't use for serious off road biking. They should be okay on bridleways. As some have highlighted the possible weakness is the seal. I have followed what others have done and put some Vaseline around the seal. For the price I have no complaints and in fact bought a second light for another bike.
on 26 October 2014
Having researched for a rear light I decided on this one. Only has three lighting modes which should be enough for most people particularly when you have to cycle through the modes to switch off. You use a coin to separate the two sections to fit the two supplied AAAs. The two halves of the case are not flimsy but quite tough with a seal between to keep the rain out.on the the back is a molded clip which again is sturdy. This fits into the supplied clamp for attachment to the bike. I have just used the clip itself to attach it to the back plate on my rack. The light itself is small and neat and extremely bright but not stupidly so! Reviews of lights seem to suggest that the brighter the light the better. Yes it is good to have bright lights but not to a point where they dazzle other cyclists and indeed car drivers. In the letter of the law these lights can be deemed illegal. Anyway back to sum up this light, I would say that if you are looking for a rear light don't waste your time looking further, buy this one and I'm sure you will not have wasted your money.
on 17 November 2010
These lights are all about being seen and this dose just that. I got this for my wife as she rides every day to work and so wanted her to be safe. For the cash one of the best rear lights you can get. I think the only way to upgrade would be a death-ray!
on 23 January 2014
Having battled with a rear light that refused to turn on or off without me having to press with all my might, I decided a new one was in order. So did some research, read some reviews and decided this was the one for me.

Arrived within two days of being ordered. Amazing. The light fixing mount is easy to install, no tool required. The light is incredible bright and most importantly easy to turn off and on, even with gloves on. The hook that the light has on the back does not have a lip so if you are thinking off putting this light on the back of your helmet/bag bear that in mind.

Overall, a brilliantly bright rear light.
on 8 November 2011
First ride with it last night in the fog. Approaching cars gave me a wide birth when passing. This demonstrates to me that this is a very bright light. There are two lenses; first seems to be for 'throw' and the other seems to be more 'flood' which give good coverage from wide angles. I recommend that you do not look directly into the light when switched on - Claimed output is 1 watt (2 x .5w) and I can believe it.

The switch is easy to use, even with winter gloves on.

Fitting is done with a very easy with a plastic 'hose clamp' type fastening. Fully adjustable for which way you wish to mount it.

I did a small test in the LBS and this far outshone any other on offer. Definitely worth the money.
on 14 March 2015
Brightest light I've ever owned, incredible at this price. Only thing I would like is a setting where one light would burn constant and one light flashes (there is research indicating that drivers find it difficult to gauge distance to flashing lights). But as they are so cheap I'm just going to get another one and run one constant and one flashing.