5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit

Published 14 months ago by NobbyStilesTeeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 3 April 2010
Troy Tempest - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Swissgear GA-7335-07 Granite 15.6 Inch Backpack (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been hunting for a good laptop bag for quite a while now. My existing laptop bag is one of the "traditional" designs that has a handle or a shoulder strap. These have served well as modestly functional bags but the weight of the laptop and associated kit I was carrying around within had started to give me backache! I therefore decide to ditch the traditional bag and look for something more stylish. It was no surprise, then, that this caught my eye. The obvious first advantage is that it is a rucksack. This has two plus points - the first being that it spreads the load evenly across my back which means less backache. The second is that it doesn't look like a laptop bag to your average villain and so security is enhanced.

The manufacturing quality is excellent - the padded straps and back padding make this one of the most comfortable rucksacks I've used. There are plenty of pockets to store associated peripherals and accessories. The main compartment has adequate space for the laptop and other items such as files and papers. Ingeniously the base of the rucksack folds out so that you are able to put the rucksack on the floor and it remains upright - protecting your laptop in the process.

Overall I like this and think it's excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good laptop bag, 12 Nov 2010
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is the one to go for. My last laptop backpack was good, but after 3 1/2 years was looking worn and tired. And to tell the truth, it was too fat to go as cabin luggage in an aircraft unless it had hardly anything in, and didn't really protect the laptop in spite of all the padding.
So how does the Wenger Granite measure up?
Somehow, it takes even more than the last bag! But because it is wider and less deep (front to back), it meets airline cabin baggage regulations, and fits in the overhead racks on virgin trains (which the old one didn't).
The laptop compartment (within the main compartment) holds the laptop about 6cm from the bottom of the bag. This is a fantastic innovation! The extra protection it gives the latpop when you drop the bag (applies around the sides as well) or swing round and bash a wall or door frame is amazing - without losing any storage space as spare batteries, mains adapters, spare clothes etc can all sneak into the gaps.
The main compartment is obstruction-free (apart from the laptop holder) so it's easy to put papers and books in without them getting crumpled. Those elastic straps to hold the laptop were a pain.
The second compartment has loads of pockets - for pens, MP3 player, notebooks, diary, phone (if you want to put your phone in the bag), name badges, etc etc. I only use about 4 of them, but it's well designed so plenty else fits in because the pockets don't take up any room when they aren't in use. Having a single second zip to access everything is really clever.
Finally there's a third outside pocket, in which i put spare food (well, I get peckish). It isn't very big but that's how this bag manages to be so slim, and with only so much spare food, maybe I'll end up slim too.
The standy-uppy innovation works really well - i no longer need to prop my bag up on the desk leg because it sits where I put it.
The straps and airflow back are excellent - as I mentioned, I'm able to carry more than previously, and because the pockets open so wide I can see what I've got so I can pull out everything I don't need and only carry what I do need.
Just an idea, I use clear plastic document wallets for paper and notebooks, because they slide in and out easily. I also use them for newspapers to stop the ink spreading onto the inside of the bag. But you don't have to!Snopake Polyfile Ring Binder Wallet Clear A4 Ref 12566 [Pack 5]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea!, 21 Mar 2010
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a good idea! An easy and unobtrusive means of carrying a laptop. Within the main compartment is an inner padded sleeve to take a laptop so that when wearing the bag the laptop is carried against one's back. This still leaves ample room in the main compartment for other things. There is a second large compartment, and within that is a selection of smaller various size pockets to take items such as credit cards, wallet, phone, eight sections in all. A third, smaller zipped pocket, a couple of small open pockets on the sides, along with a few extra loops and toggles, complete the arrangement.

The back sits easily on the back, two large pads that rest against the back and large padded shoulder straps making it particularly comfortable to carry. It appears to be quite substantial and well made; no loose ends or exposed edges, all edges being trimmed with piping. Whether you need it to carry a laptop or not, this is a good quality bag, and for me, with both arms suffering from tennis elbow, I may well be making more use of it than just transporting the laptop. Just a final thought, it is also a less obvious way of carrying a laptop, so it has an advantage too from the security aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, roomy, well-made 'hand luggage' rucksack, 1 May 2010
Mark Loughridge (Letterkenny, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm just back from testing this out on a trip to a conference and back. I have to say I was really impressed. It's a real rucksack and not a fashion item. It has a stability to it that gives you confidence in putting your laptop in it.

Pros
- Loads of room, yet small enough to carry as hand luggage and avoid those pesky bag charges on cheap flights! I managed to carry enough stuff for a 4 day conference all in the one bag.
- Very comfortable to carry - you notice the well padded straps the moment you lift it. It spreads the weight evenly - would be great if you had to cycle to work as well.
- Durable and well constructed, good seams and zips
- a couple of great carry handles on top
- Loads of compartments for laptop stuff, (or toiletries/pens etc)

Cons
- there arent really any, although I might have liked a different colour!

It's just very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rucksack....with or without a laptop!, 17 April 2010
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have at times at work been advised to carry laptops in'discrete' bags so I was keen to try this backpack. Arriving in a simple polythene bag inside the usual Amazon box, initial impressions were excellent with visibly good build quality, well formed seams, padding just where you need it and as far as a laptop is concerned, a secure pocket with plenty of other nooks and crannies to store all the accessories.Easy to carry on the shoulder or using the handle, weight distribution loaded has in practice been very good. The folding internal base also allows the bag to stay upright, a feat my traditional laptop bag cannot match.

It is however far more than a simple laptop carrier and frankly is an excellent everyday rucksack that I have used very successfully for leisure activities. Yes, it has a laptop pocket but that is not a hindrance and actually serves as a useful pocket for other uses. It has also been subjected to gale force snow blizzards/rainstorms and remained weatherproof.

In summary,really a hidden gem that you could easily pass over without realising that not only is it a superb laptop carrier but also an excellent general purpose leisure rucksack. One caveat (that is clearly stated in the product spec)is to check that your laptop screen size fits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Multi-Purpose Bag, 11 Nov 2011
I recently bought a Laptop as I'm studying for my Degree through the Open University and found I was suffering from cabin fever and needed to get out of the house and still be able to study. So I also needed a bag to carry the laptop around in, but I didn't want a standard laptop bag with a shoulder strap as this isn't very comfortable for long periods of use and also I didn't want to advertise the fact that I was carrying a laptop around with me.

This bag was an excellent choice, the quality of the material and stitching is outstanding. The lining is also very good quality, with and easy slip material to aid sliding your laptop in and out but durable enough that it won't rip or wear too heavily with prolonged use. I have a 13.1" laptop which is designed as a ultra-lightweight device, so I was worried that the laptop pouch might be too sloppy for my laptop but it was reasonable snug with an adjustable restraining strap at the top, should think that the advertised 15.6" laptop would fit in OK though as the padding material is fairly flexible. The padding and bottom reinforcement for the bag is also of good quality and quite thick so should absorb most impacts and jolts.

There's also plenty of additional compartments and pockets on the bag for ancillaries such as power adapters and mice. I was also carrying around some sizeable text books recently and had plenty of room for them aswell as the laptop. I was also wearing the bag for the majority of the day aswell and found it incredably comfortable and I didn't feel the weight of the contents on my back at all due to the excellent strap and backpad design, there's plenty of adjustment so you can get the bag to sit just right of your back for maximum comfort.

The final thing that really sets it apart is that it doesn't look like a standard latop bag that you might get from Dell or Targus, just looks like a bag from any other outdoor equipment manufacturer like Bergaus so is quite low key. All in all a quality product which I think justifies it's price tag, even if I wasn't carrying a laptop in it I would defienately recommend this for a work bag, as there are lots of compartments and pockets to organise your gear.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I expected and more, 21 July 2010
C. Pon "Layman" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Previously had an over the shoulder laptop bag. Was too heavy commuting around London with documents and laptop so I needed something with more space and a lot more comfortable.

Bought the Wenger Laptop backback based on research and on other people's reviews. What a difference! I can now fit all my documents, my lunch box and my laptop and better yet, the shoulder straps are so well padded that it feels a lot lighter than any other backpack/laptop bag I have ever owned.

The backpack is well constructed with double zippers on the two main compartments. The laptop section is well padded. Neat storage pockets everywhere. There are dividers for cards, cellphones, even a place to store various sizes of pocket knives...... I use the one to store my 3G dongle. There are 4 loops in the exterior front of the bag for which I don't know what its true purpose is for but I use this to hold a pen. Very handy!

Overall, very impressed and very happy with this purchase. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, practical and cool..., 22 April 2010
Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds "surfingbernard" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like it, it has loads of extra storage space as well as a well-protected compartment for your laptop, it's really rugged and looks hard-wearing and I love that it is made by the Swiss Army Knife people, somehow it's cool. It has all the bits and bobs you get with a 'proper' backpack- you know, one that's for practical use rather than fashion- adjustable straps, mesh and a multitude of compartments and pockets, it has a grab handle on top which is always good, and I really like the shape and colour. The zips seem good on it, it is well padded and seems pretty weather proof.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice design - let down by materials, 1 Nov 2013
Initially I was very pleased with the product as it was a nice design and had lots of good features. However, within a few months the material covering the main compartment had come away from the zip opening the second compartment, and also the foam in the right hand strap has migrated leaving it much less comfortable to carry. I doubt I will be buying from swissgear again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Rucksack, 21 Nov 2012
This rucksack is OK but has some design flaws.

After reading the reviews I was expecting an excellent rucksack, especially considering the high price. I do believe that quality is worth paying extra for and the fact it is endorsed by wenger who manufacture swiss pocketknives were reasons I bought it.

It seems ruggedly constructed, and I would say the stitching is excellent, but the green membrane lining next to the carry handle detached after two weeks of use, the material itself splitting along the seam. This was partly my fault as I had overfilled it, but I expected this thing to handle anything I could throw at it. To be fair the split has not increased very much in the two years I have been using this rucksack for carrying books and laptops to uni and as a daysack for outdoors stuff.

It is rather ugly, next time I will be buying an all black rucksack. I wanted a green/brown one as I had been doing Territorial Army and needed something that would blend in. So I would say it blends into foliage but sticks out in urban environments!

It would be so much better if it included straps at the sides that allow you to compress it in tight to reduce the overall size of it, like my previous "Jeep" rucksack did, which incidently cost £20 and lasted 5 years of hard use before the zip finally gave out.

It has two water bottle holder pouches that are both too small to hold anything other than a 500ml bottle. I would much prefer one big pouch.

Positives:

The laptop compartment is excellent and well padded, with a useful velcro securing strap. Your laptop is safe inside this.

It seems quite waterproof, I have had my laptop in it without a case during rain, when I take it out it is always dry.

The zips seem very good quality.

It is comfortable.

Seems well constructed. I wish they had used outer green material that was stronger.

Swissgear GA-7335-07 Granite 15.6 Inch Backpack