5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest concert the World will never see
Published on 10 Nov 2009 by PB

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the film but 2 for the extras.
Obviously the films 5 stars. No question.

But if your buying the two disc special edition your buying this for the extras also.. Although they're great... they're not what I was hoping for.. I heard there was going to be 6 hours and loads of extra footage of Michael.

Published on 21 Feb 2010 by Ziggywatters

(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I went to the cinema with genuine discomfort at the motivations for releasing this film. Would it be yet another exploitation of Jackson's legacy? Another shot at raking in money from his name? Could rehearsal footage be of any interest? Did I really want to see a skeletal drug-addict shamble around? But my children really wanted to see the film, and I had promised them a treat following their exams so I was beholden to taking them. I was not looking forward to seeing "This Is It" and I am not a nutty fan.

In short, Kenny Ortega has produced a staggering film. Admittedly, there is some sycophancy from some of the dancers (only in the opening sequence) and Jackson is not giving a full-on stage performance (remember - it's a rehearsal!), but... Wow! Even when operating at 70%, Jackson's stagecraft, voice and dancing are miles ahead of anyone performing today. This 50 year old man shows everyone how it should be done.

"This Is It" cannot be pigeon-holed. It is not a movie. It is not a concert. It is not a documentary. The footage was shot for Jackson's personal collection. However, Ortega has compiled a compelling and amazing film.

The sheer scale of the concerts, the preparation required, the rigs, the video sequences... this would have been the greatest comeback in the history of pop. I know I sound like Elizabeth Taylor here, but I am pretty critical. If you see my other reviews, I don't dole out 5 stars willy-nilly.

For all the negativity I have read about this film, I cannot agree that Jackson looked weak. He was certainly thin, but he was more than able to perform the moves. He was saving his voice, so didn't belt out every song, but that's the norm for rehearsals - and even with so much in reserve, he sounds incredible. Of course, Ortega might have edited it favourably for Jackson's posterity, but this is no bad thing for the viewer. There is no mawkish focus on watching Jackson wither. If Sony and AEG are cynically exploiting Jackson's memory, it doesn't feel like it on watching the film. I would urge you not to deny yourself the opportunity to see this film because of the bad press it has received from some (I would say, uninformed) corners. If you were ever a fan of Jackson's music, you are in for a treat with this film.

"This Is It" is without doubt one of the very best cinematic experiences I have ever had.

The World was denied a once in a generation event. Having seen this film, I have no doubt that had Jackson lived to perform the concerts, his reputation as the greatest entertainer of his generation, and perhaps all-time, would have been secured.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the film but 2 for the extras., 21 Feb 2010
Obviously the films 5 stars. No question.

There basically isn't ANY extra footage of Michael! Everything of MJ is in the film.. the extra footage is just mini docs about the costumes or the staging or the dancers or meeting the band etc etc.. with lots of talking heads from the producers, musicians etc etc..

If your hoping for an unedited version or two of say one whole run through of smooth criminal or whichever track, the extras here don't feature any such treat.

There is hardly any, if any, extra MJ performance footage in the extras!!!

We do see things like the planned ending for the show explained.. and the costume doc explaining and showing what was planned for the Billie Jean costume is great - I wonder actually why these two bits weren't in the actual film..? - really fascinating.

Obviously as I say the film is great, and as a fan I would never not buy the 2 disc version.. just thought I'd give people a heads up that the extras.. although great.. probably won't thrill you as much as you hope... Hundreds of hours of material were shot during rehearsals.. and none extra were put on these discs!!! :(

The second disc actually just has on it three mini docs. Meet the Band, Meet the Dancers and Meet the Vocalists... sums it up really.. all just a bit of a con.

If you buy this you want to see extra MJ right? here you get extras interviews with the producers.. There's a Kenny Ortega interview on youtube from last year almost promising extra footage, what happened?? I suppose they're planning on flogging this further and releasing another DVD in a year or so...?

MUST JUST ADD! Someone kindly commented on this review and told me to check out the Blu Ray version as it has the extras I was frustrated are missing on the DVD. I have since done so and can confirm, ALL the extras you can wish for, are solely on the BLU RAY! So if you have the chance, buy the Blu Ray version!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 11 Nov 2009
When a friend of mine announced that he had tickets to the O2 shows, I must admit, I poured scorn on the idea, thinking like everyone else - he's past it, he's addled with drugs, he's desperate for cash. I went to see the movie last week with a non-fan - we went for the curiousity value more than anything else - and I have to say, we were blown away.

Michael moved with the grace and ease of someone half his age, and he showed the young dancers selected for the tour how it's done. His voice was still astonishing. I think his skills as a vocalist were always overshadowed by the dancing and the razmatazz of his performances, but he really was a beautiful singer. If Michael's family's opinion on the rehearsals is to be believed, This Is It shows him performing at 40% - all I can say is, if this is 40%; 100% would have been mind-blowing.

This film depicts a true showman at his finest, his dedication to his craft astonishing. I have no hesitation in recommending it to any music fan. The O2 shows would have been the concert of a lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close up and personal!, 6 Dec 2009
W. A. Thornton "Wendles" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I went with a friend to see this movie, there were 6 other people in the cinema; where was everyone? had the negative press prejudiced people from making their own minds up? I was determined to be objective in spite of a slight whisper of cynicism and if nothing else to satisfy my own curiosity; I was not to be dissapointed! The first thing that struck me was the intimacy of the footage, it really seemed to get up close to Michael in a way I havn't seen before it seemed raw and stripped back. The callibre of the man was evident, his stature which did not appear in any way to be frail, and his commanding presence and the mutually respectful manner in which he related to the director and crewe was inspiring. He certainly was thin but he always has been, and I never understood why he carved his face up but that said the inner beauty comes through. As for the performance, the moment the music started the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, it was clear to see the concerts would have been Jackson at his best. His genius, creativity and stage artistry was humbling, given it was rehearsal and he was obviously saving it' for the concerts. I loved the re-working of the classics, staying authentic but with a fresh edge. The movie footage was again authentic Jackson and all too short. I was in awe of the way Michael moved, being the same age I can appreciate his athletisism and unique style that cannot be replicated even by the talented dancers working close to him. The routines were mesmerising and a joy to watch, the anticipation of knowing what comes next and then being surprised by the new coreography. Finally one is left with an inate sense of being robbed of someone profoundly special, and of deep sadness for his children, this movie at least might give them something of their father that they can be proud of. All I can say is I wanted to watch it all over again, and will definately be placing a pr-order!

5.0 out of 5 stars L.O.V.E, 13 Nov 2009
I saw This Is It at the cinema and baring in mind it was only footage of rehearsals which was not meant to be a film but for MJ's own use, I was delighted with what I saw.

Michael Jackson still had it! In parts his dancing was amazing, you can tell he isn't going full throttle at points and is just trying things out. His vocals is what surprised me most, I haven't heard him singing live this well for a long long time, and he was 99% live in this footage.

The thing I wish for is that we saw more of Michael's personality. His humour and kindness was shown in the film but not enough. I wish there was more talking with Michael but of course you need to remember this was never meant to be shown like this. I'm not even sure Michael would appreciate its release as he was such a perfectionist and wouldn't have wanted this to be shown without seeing the spectacular finished product. Unfortunately we never got to see the finished product, but this is what we have.

This is a sneak sneak peak at ideas for the show. The whold production looked like it would have been amazing, and Michael himself.

What was really sad is that some of the footage is from the night before his death, where he wears a tshirt which a fan gave him. This is during Thriller (on stage) and Earth Song. The tshirt says 'curls for my girls' as there was excitement earlier this year when Michael went back to his curly hairstyle. His last ever time on stage he was wearing a tshirt from a fan, with a message to the fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Owning a piece of history, 9 Nov 2009
D. Dale (Berkshire) - See all my reviews
I grew up with his music and really regret not seeing him in concert. I couldn't wait to see This Is It as it seemed the next best thing to seeing him live. I had heard so much in the media that these concerts were never actually going to happen because quote: 'He knew he couldn't sing or dance any more and couldn't face his fans knowing this' After seeing the film I felt such anger at the press. His voice was stunning, absolutely as beautiful as ever. Also he was around 25 years older than his backing dancers and was still amazing everyone with his moves. If you take into account that at rehearsals he was only 'marking out' and not running at 100% then you can only guess at his brilliance. I think if these concerts had gone ahead we would have been seeing one of the most spectacular shows ever made. At times it was hard to remember you were actually just watching a rehearsal - you became so wrapped up in the emotion of it all. He came across as the same ultimate professional and creative genius that he always was,as well as a beautiful and humble human being. It is said there will be added extra footage in the dvd and I really can't wait to own this.

(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Michael Jackson's This Is It [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Put your fears aside - This IS It!, 10 Nov 2009
I booked 6 seats for 'This is It' for my husband's birthday - we all like the music so it was worth a shot - and, like the reviewer above, I was somewhat worried what might unfold.

I needn't have been concerned - the film gave an unusual insight into the rehearsal process behind a massive production and was a celebration of all that made Michael a great performer. Most of what needs to be said is accurately reflected in the review above, so I won't repeat it.

Suffice it to say that my family - ranging from 50+ down to 15 years and by no means all committed Jackson fans - were all enthralled and my youngest came away almost in tears as she realised what the world has lost now Michael is gone.

It confirmed for me that Michael lived for his music and his music lived through him in a way we are unlikely to see again.

Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest, 13 Jan 2010
S. Rodwell (UK) - See all my reviews
My husband and I went to this film when it came, with my husband saying to me it didnt get too good reviews. Now, I am a fan, but I would have put my hands up high and said, yes, he probably wouldnt have made the whole 50 concerts tour. We came out of the cinema and we were both quite impressed. I saw him live in 1996, and I can say I couldnt see a change other than his really thin figure. Professional as ever, doing everything in exact detail with every song he was going to perfom, as if he had just wrote them. The whole preparation for this tour was greater than we can imagine. It would have defenitely been a real KNOCK OUT. His kids and family would have been proud of him in this come back.

It does have a few softy comments from the dancers at the beginning but all goes to perfection by the end of it. His costumes and fashion style had changed and you could see in a few bits a more mature Michael, but same loving little kid. As for his dancing, it all came so natural to him like walking is to us. Absolutely in good shape, and yes, for a 50 years old, thats quite impressive.

We didnt really wanted to go and see it at first, thinking its just another way for Ortega and the others to get their money back. Whether that is true is not, they did make a good job of it. They showed Michael Jackson at his best.

Dont hesitate to buy it !I will ! Its worth it.

Michael Jackson's This Is It [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]