on 20 July 2000
This marvellous poetry book NEVER leaves my classroom. When I have a 2min gap to fill with my Year 6 class this book becomes my life saver. Michael Rosen has successfully summed up the trials and tribulations of changing nappies, eating cake in secret, racing go-karts and dodging the washing up, all from his childhood perspective. A perfect book for reading out loud and a completely accessible read for children. Great fun!
on 26 April 2009
This is a brilliant book because the pictures match the writing perfectly.
It is a collection of poems. Our teacher likes to read the really long ones like Chocolate Cake which always makes us feel hungry. Many of the poems involve people being silly. Callum's favourite in Bathtime and Victoria's is Eddie & the wallpaper.
This book is for children of all ages and for people to read out loud.
There is a poem for everyone.
on 5 January 2015
First bought this book when Michael Rosen came to work with my class many years ago. It's signed and precious to my now grown up children. As a collection of poems which children can easily relate to, as its all about them, it has no equal. Michael Rosen is master of observing children's behaviour and writing about it. I've lost count of the number of children I've read it to over the years and each time the same reaction, they are helpless laughing. Ten stars if possible!
on 19 February 2015
This for me is the greatest collection of children's poems. My well-thumbed copy was always an essential part of my teaching equipment when I was teaching in Primary schools and it saved me many times during my career. How much I loved the enthusiasm that the children always had for these poems, especially the sequence of Eddie poems, which is what makes this collection stand out from the rest of Rosen's work. In recent years these poems have added poignancy as Rosen's son Eddie died from meningitis as a young man. This group of poems dotted throughout the book provides a memorial more vivid than baby photographs. "Eddie in Bed," "Eddie & The Wallpaper", "Eddie & The Nappy", and "Eddie & The Birthday," in particular are brilliant snapshots of life with a toddler. Poems that recall episodes in the poet's past are full of the vitality of children's language, something Rosen does so well, together with the tinge of guilt of recalling past `naughty moments', which speaks directly to children hearing or reading these. "Washing Up", "Chocolate Cake", "The Watch", "Go Kart" and "Gymnastics" take all adults back to their own childhoods and are superb examples of accessible poetry. I'd also like to single out a quieter poem, that when teaching I tended to overlook. "Platforms" is a sweet, mellow tale about waiting for a loved one and its inherent sense of anticipation, boredom and relief. In just a few lines Michael Rosen is able to encapsulate so much. You get a real blast of personal nostalgia just reading this. When teaching I was lucky enough to book Michael Rosen to come and talk to the pupils on a couple of occasions (at different schools) and children love this man. This book explains why.
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2009
When I was 9 years old I remember my primary school teacher reading these poems out to the class. Everyone loved them back then as they were so different, and seemed so modern at the time. I distinctly remember "Chocolate Cake", I could almost taste that shiny icing cracking in my mouth! Years on, I was still being haunted by memories of these poems and had to track down the book. Finally, I found it and have had such fun re-reading it.

It's suitable for children aged about 6 upwards, and is a really good way of introducing longer rhymes to young children.
on 6 August 2008
Our teachers in infant school used to read this book to us all the time! We all adored these poems - they're funny, touching and highly memorable.
Tales of Eddie (usually throwing a wobbly), and the secret eating of the chocolate cake have stayed with me for years and years as happy reminders of primary school.

I recommend this book to any infant school teacher, and defy anyone who reads this book and doesn't enjoy it. Everyone should have a copy - I'm so happy that it's been re-published! I had to search eBay for a copy a few years back for my sister (who's now an infant school teacher), as I couldn't find it anywhere!

Michael Rosen came to my secondary school (mid-nineties) for a poetry reading, and I made a point of going to meet him to congratulate him on this book (what a geek!).

Happy, happy reading.
on 15 December 2013
Quick let;s get out of here - is a brilliant anthology full of memoirs and poetry and stories.

Great reading out to family and translating in different languages! I bought this a gift for my sister, as she used to read to me when I was little. :)
on 20 August 2010
I am an ex-primary school teacher, I can honestly say that Michael Rosen's poetry was the single best teaching aid I ever had for creative writing. I think it's absolutely fantastic stuff, so genuine, capturing all the childhood emotions perfectly, with both humour and pathos, and as such is so accessible for children. We would write our own "Down behind the dustbin" poems, write stories about Eddie (so sorry to hear that he died), and make up conversations between family members at mealtimes (to practice use of speech marks or reported speech, for example) - all using Michael Rosen poems (and especially "Quick, Let's Get Out of Here") as our inspiration. Actually, that word sums him up: an inspiration!
Also recommended: The Hypnotiser (although for some unfathomable reason, it's currently out of print)
on 5 September 2013
I just love this book. As a primary teacher of many years, I used my first edition with many many classes of children and it never failed to please. It showed children how to get into writing and enjoy poetry. Im now retired and have gone back to school as a governor. I recently asked to go and spend time in a class room - I had no doubt what to take in with me and as my first trusty copy had fallen apart - ordered a new one. I was delighted to see that todays children enjoy the poems just as those I used to read to years ago!!!
Try reading Chocolate Cake or Eddie and the Nappy to the children without laughing..... BRILL
on 12 April 2013
Bought for a friend as a memento of my childhood's favourite reads.

Particularly love 'Chocolare Cake'. Memorised it when I was 7 (I'm now 31). Michael Rosen is a don, and QB's illustrations as ever, are perfect.