5.0 out of 5 stars The 1930's brought to life.
Published on 14 Nov 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable
I'm more of a thriller fan but I was hooked when I read `Another Woman' also by Penny Vincenzi so was more than happy to pick up another one in the form of `Windfall'. While I enjoyed Windfall I did find it a little slower to develop than Another Woman. That didn't make it any less enjoyable however.

The story follows the life of Cassia, a promising Doctor to...
Published on 20 Dec 2007 by O. Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars The 1930's brought to life., 14 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Windfall (Hardcover)
I once heard that reading this book is like delving into a delicious box of chocolates - I couldn't agree more!The plot is very involving and you soon get caught up in all the character's lives.I've read four Penny Vincenzi novels - two set around the same period (this one and Forbidden Places - also excellent), and two other more modern ones which I actually found rather dull.Penny Vincenzi has a real knack of bringing the 1930's to life and I just hope she writes some more set in this era!

5.0 out of 5 stars WINDFALL IS A WINNER, 4 July 2002
Heather Negahdar ""Haze"" (Bridgetown, Barbados) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
Cassie Fallon though a non-practicing medical doctor is an ordinary housewife with two small kids and wife to Dr, Edward Fallon; when she learns that she has inherited half a million pounds from her godmother Leanora who lived in Paris. Reluctant to spend any part of this fortune, she and her husband start to ponder why Leanora would have left such a large amount of money or any at all for that matter, when they were made to believe that she had died penniless. The solictor has no idea and encourages them to stop worrying and take the money.
The Fallons start to spend the first set of Cassie's inheritance on refurbishing Edward's medical facilities which ajoin the house and then they redo their home. Admidst all these renovations Cassie takes a good look at herself and decides that she needs a makeover of sorts. She flies to London where she purchases a new brand car, much to Edward's distaste, and with her desire to restart her medical pratice, Cassie's sets her sights on half-baked and far-fetched plans, letting the money go straight to her head. She enjoys herself on big spending sprees buying clothing, accessories, hats in all colours, and shoes. Anything to make her look chic and not like the old Cassie. Along with the package comes new friends in London who she tries to emulate in dress code, and she has never looked better.
Intent on setting up a home in London as she commits herself to working in a clinic there, she becomes extremely selfish with her time spending lots of time away from Edward and her little ones. In fact she now sees her husband's practice in the country as a dead end job and challenges him to transfer to London which would be more lucrative for him, but he bluntly refuses for he greatly dislikes the idea of her working again and he is not comfortable with London or her new found friends. Plus he argues that there would be nobody else to give aid to his country folk. How could he just leave them out in the cold?
As her relationship with her husband quivers on shaky ground, Cassie Fallon wings with the jet set, ignoring him and neglecting her children. She tells lies, commits infidelities amd becomes a bigger spendrift as the time passes.
With the assortment of loveable and unloveable characters the suspense of this novel is killing. Read it and you'll find out where the fortune actually came from and the circumstances that drove Cassie Fallon to travel to France and even Africa for answers to this big question.
As usual, Penny Vincenzi's never fails her readers. This is another delightful one from her that I highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 20 Dec 2007
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)

The story follows the life of Cassia, a promising Doctor to be who has her dreams cut short. Instead of leading the high-flying career that she dreamed of she finds herself with the title of Dr's wife in a country practice. When her Godmother dies and leaves her a fortune Cassia soon finds herself questioning not only her status as Dr's wife but her entire marriage and life in general.

Windfall doesn't just follow Cassia's story but the stories of all of her friends as they go through the trials and tribulations that life throws their way. It makes for a really good read and one where you find yourself asking `mmmm wonder how that'll turn out'. Luckily you find out the answer to all your questions before you reach the last page. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windfall Penny Vincenzi, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
This is a very good book, story so far is brilliant, I am still reading it so cant comment on the end, but like all of her books i am sure it will be excellant.

3.0 out of 5 stars slow start, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
I have read a lot of Penny Vinzenci books and they are all page turners with twists and turns in the story, I felt windfall to be slower than her other books to get going. Having said that, I stuck with it and found as always that I didn't want to put it down. Sometimes I needed to take a look at the character list at the front of the book to jog my memory of who they were if I hadn't had a chance to read it for a day or two.Sadly that may be just me getting forgetful
A great read as always from Penny Vinzenci

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
An epic saga, with all the drama, romance, and unusual twists that you need. Best Penny book so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Reading, 4 Aug 2009
Gwenllian (Mallorca, España) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
This is a quite excellent book, especially for reading on summer holiday.
She writes v. well, and her recent books are all on my bookshelves

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
It was a very enjoyable book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read as always from Penny Vinzenci, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Windfall (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book. I have read most of Penny Vincenzi's books and find them most absorbing taking your mind off everything else for a short time at least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good !, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Windfall (Kindle Edition)
This is a really really good book, the characters really draw you in.
I would have given the book 5 stars, what stopped me was that in the first couple of chapters I kept confusing the characters because there was so many of them ! But once I got them all sorted in my head I just couldn't put it down .

Windfall