Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

The Australian coastal resort of Silver Bay *seems* idyllic enough- it's a haven for whales and dolphins with a beautiful harbour and the charming `Silver Bay Hotel.' The only trouble is, the resort itself is actually in desperate need of a renovation to try and pull in a sudden influx of tourists the place needs to save it from sinking into oblivion. Mike, a British businessman sees the potential of the place and heads to Australia with firm plans of knocking down the Silver Bay Hotel and building a brand new hotel and water sports complex in its place, only he doesn't expect to fall in love with the places rustic charm, not to mention the locals and also the fantastic wildlife...

This was a genuinely terrific read. There's a nice amount of romance as well as a couple of the intertwining plots and intriguing back-story that Moyes is renowned for, all tied together nicely in the end. This is definitely one to read if you like your romantic novels with a bit of depth and well-developed characters you actually want to care about. I haven't yet read a Moyes novel I haven't enjoyed and wouldn't hesitate in recommending any of her novels to anyone.
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2008
'Silver Bay' is the intriguing tale of the inhabitants of this tiny Australian haven for dolphins and whales.
Initially, I found the pace slow and it took some getting in to but I am so pleased I persevered - I never imagined I would find facts about dolphins and their habitat quite so fascinating! Mike arrives at the Silver Bay Hotel to secretly get planning permission for his London based company to build a huge watersports orientated hotel complex but doesn't expect to fall in love... Either with Silver Bay or any of the people that live there. Not least because he has a 'Vanessa' waiting patiently to continue planning their Wedding back home!
This novel runs deeper than you first imagine (no pun intended) and the harrowing details of a child lost emerge slowly and painfully.
Highly recommended for the beach this year...
on 5 March 2007
If you like to read a book where the pages almost turn themselves this book will not disappoint.

The story revolves around the small community of 'Silver Bay' and is told from different perspectives by four narrators. There are strong dramatic events, as well as an intriguing mystery. It is an entirely believable story in which a quiet unassuming community is threatened by the source that ultimately sustains it - tourism - but tourism also threatens the lives of those that live in the ocean, without whom there would be no tourism...

This is a great tale of endurance and commitment - to a way of life, to a community, to the whales, as well as to maintaining dignity and self-respect. Jojo has written a story that reflects how, in life, there are not 'rights' and 'wrongs' but, rather, very difficult decisions to be made, and that in making these decisions the effect is often far greater than we intended.
on 15 March 2008
As an avid Jojo Moyes fan I was disappointed how much I struggled to engage with the first half of this book. I didn't identify with the characters or the plot.

However I wasn't to be disappointed. Halfway through the book the story stopped meandering and the various threads began to come together. So much so that I spent 4 hours unable to put the book down absorbed by the fate of the Silver Bay inhabitants....and yes I cried.

Persevere - A lot of time (maybe too much) is spent creating the backdrop and building up to the big reveal. However once Jojo Moyes gets into her stride and does what she is so good at - building and developing the relationships between the characters this book was unputdownable.

Despite the beginning a great read full of twists and turns that keep you guessing right till the end.
on 27 February 2007
Anyone who has felt the long drawn out dread that comes when developers move in will sympathize with the inhabitants of Silver Bay. Cocooned in a time warp, they have their sensitivities, lives and loves brought into sharp focus by a challenge to their lives from the outside world. Jojo's storytelling skills, notched up yet another gear for this new book, will beguile and entertain her readership.

Silver Bay lets you gently in, but before you know it you are completely engaged with the people in its landscape and totally unprepared for a surprising ending.
on 25 July 2012
Jojo Moyes has produced a superb piece of modern fiction in Silver Bay. Set mostly in Australia, with some action taking place in London, UK, the story deals with the effects of threatened development on the tranquil eponymous location of the title. But it is the relationships and interactions of the protagonists that drive this story of tragedy, romance, coming of age and redemption.

Presented in 3 parts, with a short prologue and epilogue, Jojo uses first person narration by five of the major characters, four female and one male, to explore emotional, motivational, mental and spiritual aspects of her protagonists. Her research has clearly been thorough and the novel displays the author's deep knowledge of the subjects she uses for theme and background. The book starts slowly but builds relentlessly until the denouement is reached in a way unflagged and unexpected.

This was a book I would have read at one sitting, had I been able. As it is, my life being a little hectic at present, I was obliged to fit in reading between many other commitments. It's testament to the quality of the writing and storytelling that I found myself looking forward to my occasional bus journeys, as they are opportunities to read. Normally I dislike this necessary part of my working day, but I was eager to get on that bus and have the chance to read. In fact, had I not finished the book shortly before the end of my journey, I suspect I'd have missed my stop.

Jojo has drawn her characters with skill, care, and love. This is appropriate, since the love stories that run through the narrative form a major thread of the tale. Each passage is in the voice of the chosen character and the author manages to make each unique and totally credible. She has managed to get as squarely inside the mind of her male characters as she has her females.

The main setting for the book, Silver Bay itself, performs the role of an additional character and the reader is immersed in the tranquil location to the extent that he feels all the anxiety, fear, resentment and disgust at proposals that will alter the place beyond recognition. Wales and dolphins, and the occasional shark, play interesting and informative roles along the way.

I thoroughly enjoyed this moving novel and have no hesitation in recommending it to readers of all types.
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2009
I agree with other reviewers who say this book starts slowly, but there's a point at which you find yourself totally immersed in the world JoJo Moyes has created, and the characters which live and breath within it. It's one of those books which you can't put down, feel desperate to find out what happens, but which you don't ever, ever want to end.

I was moved to tears by so many aspects of the latter parts of the novel - the ghost nets, Kathleen and Nino, the lost child, the pain of self-discovery for Mike and also Hannah, Brolly's fate... This was an absolute joy of a read. My first time with this author, but it won't be my last because this has to be one of the most enjoyable books I've read for a while now!
on 29 July 2013
I loved jojo moyes books "the girl you left behind" and "me before you". Both were excellent and given good reviews for "silver bay" I was eager to read it. However I just couldn't get into it and found myself skimming pages just to get to the end. It was as if it was written by a different author.
on 3 April 2013
This book may have been a little slow to start but the ending was heart stopping. Jojo Moyes is a really talented Author, I have become addicted to her books, all of them so different. I don't know what I will do when I've read them all. Might just read them all again.
on 13 September 2013
This is the second Moyes book I've read (first one was "Me Before You") - loved both of them. This book made me laugh, cry and rooting for the residents of Silver Bay. Love the characters.

Will highly recommend this one.