4.0 out of 5 stars The Point of Rescue - Sophie Hannah
Published on 7 Sept. 2008 by Nikki

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start but becomes increasingly implausible
Published on 25 Jan. 2010 by Roman Clodia

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start but becomes increasingly implausible, 25 Jan. 2010
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I'm mixed about Hannah's books: I loved Hurting Distance and The Other half Lives; felt cheated by Little Face, and am disappointed by this one. SH always writes to a structure formula: first person narrative by a woman-in-jeopardy interspersed with a third person narrative from the police point of view. Here there are additional diary entries which are purportedly from a dead woman.

The problem with this book (as other reviewers have said) is that the plot becomes more and more holey and turns on some enormous coincidences, compounded by glaring omissions from the police. The attempt to tie the whole thing up at the end is rushed and a bit silly.

However, parts of this are very good: the taboo subject of the woman who isn't a natural mother is aired even if not always convincingly. And the actual crime I found creepily chilling.

But to detract, the characterisation feels very wobbly especially with Sally: for someone who supposedly has a PhD and is meant to be a professional career woman who loves her job, she appears very stupid and often a little pathetic.

So a mixed bag: less tense than the good Hannah novels, and with a plot which collapses in on itself. Could have been much better than it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing finish, 6 Aug. 2009
I really got into this book and was looking forward to the 'twist' the blurb referred to- er.. where was it???The story seemed to be developing quite nicely but the last third was disappointing. So many implausible happenings and inspirational 'guesses' that even now I've finished it I'm still pondering various questions (Don't want to spoil the ending for those who want to read it)
This story had a lot of potential but I think the author spoiled it by trying to be too clever- and failing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Point of Rescue - Sophie Hannah, 7 Sept. 2008
Nikki - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read Little Face and Hurting Distance and loving them, couldn't wait to get my hands on this latest book. Have just finished reading it and wow, Sophie Hannah has done it again - another brilliant nail biting thriller! I was completely drawn in from the start with this book and didn't want to put it down, just wanted to keep reading a bit more and a bit more!

The only thing I didn't get was the thing about the history/relationship of the police officers Charlie and Simon and what went on with Charlie last year? Also, I did find all the different police characters a bit confusing and when the plot was finally explained and untangled, I kind of "lost the plot" a few times and had to re-read. You do need to concentrate when you get to this bit!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, if orthodox, thriller., 12 Dec. 2008
AK 1957-05 (Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There was a point in this book where, having been kept avidly turning pages for some time, a traditional character-in-peril plotline emerged. In the context of what had hitherto been an unusual thriller, I was madly guessing ahead that this rather plodding, orthodox part of the story was going to turn out to be the wild imaginings of a mentally damaged character...sadly this turned out not to be the case, and I was left feeling a little deflated that this obviously talented writer was dealing in such mundane matters. (For those who have read it, I'm talking about the point when Sally discovers the massage table onwards).

That's the problem with this book - it's well written, it's gripping and it's complex, but it's oh-so-traditonal in some ways. The final section of the book is given over to a car journey where two characters explain the plot to each other - "So what made you so sure..." "And it was then I realised...." and so forth. I was expecting Mark Kermode's Basil Exposition to enter stage left!

Having said all that, I devoured it quite quickly and would definitely explore Hannah's other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant suspense thriller that fires on all cylinders, 3 Feb. 2008
What would you do if someone was trying to kill you, but you couldn't go to the police because that would mean revealing a secret that might destroy your family, the very same secret that might be about to get you killed? That is Sally Thorning's predicament in 'The Point of Rescue' - a superb thriller that is flawlessly written, deeply intelligent, pacy, gripping and totally unpredictable. In some ways this is a traditional detective story, for there are police characters working on unravelling the various mysteries and the irresistible sense of a puzzle needing to be solved is paramount, but this is also a hunted-woman thriller, also a very sophisticated pyschological suspense novel, and a book about relationships and a woman's role in society. I read oodles of thrillers, and it's very rare to find any that pay as much attention to depth and layers and psychology (proper characterisation, I suppose I mean)as to the logic-puzzle-style plot. This is not a 'locked-room' mystery, as there's no locked room, but it has that same sense of things which seem impossible but we know they can't be, because they've happened...how will it be resolved? Sophie Hannah pulls several twists out of the bag and the end, and a few moments of blood-curdling horror as the reader becomes aware of the depths of suffering involved. Loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Grabs your attention...only to fritter it away., 2 Sept. 2013
This caught my eye and the scenario piqued my interest. This could have been great, and I certainly rattled through it quick enough. But it fell woefully short of the tense psychological thriller I'd expected. There were more holes in the plot than a piece of Swiss cheese - quite how one character's spouse is NEVER looked into is beyond me! Shoddy police work. And don't get me started on Sally's predicament. Esp. as the perpetrator was supposed to be fairly sane until the incredibly unbelievable main event occurs. Having got to the end with so many questions about the intelligence/basic logic functions of the police I don't expect to pick up another Sophie Hannah in a hurry. They sound great but lack substance. A shame as I like the premise of her other novels...

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good read until the chapters towards the end, 28 Aug. 2008
Really enjoyed this book to start with. One really bad flaw in it though and if I had been the boss of the police concerned they would all have got the sack.

Looking for the name of the husband of Encarta Oliva would have been simple - the electoral roll! And why didn't anyone involved with the family, the school or the nanny tell them the husband's name?

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 17 April 2009
Antenna (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After an intriguing start, the tragi-comedy of working mother's Sally's chaotic life was entertaining and an interesting use of rueful humour to convey the conflicts involved in trying to juggle children and a career. There were some ingenious plot twists - I can't say which genuinely surprised me, without giving too much away. I agree that some of them were implausible.

On the other hand, as with many such books, which will obviously gain a wider readership and massive earnings, I have to ask why the clearly talented author did not spend just a little more time on ironing out the flaws.

The diary entries rapidly became tediously repetitive and almost caricatures of the situation, although you could argue that was intentional. A more serious weakness was the unconvincing love interest between the two police officers, and their odd, inadequately explained and developed psychology. All the other policemen seemed to be caricatures.There was a tendency for key "information giving" conversations to drag on for an implausibly long time given the circumstances e.g one party had to rush off to a meeting, or was driving at high speed on a hunch to save someone's life.

I was also too often aware of the same rather cynical, sarcastic voice coming through too many of the characters. I had no objection to the voice itself, just suspected it was the author's own voice, and felt it needed to be attached to one or two characters, not most of them. I was also unsure about the frequent digressions into amusing but trivial asides at dramatic moments - this with the generally rather shallow and manipulative relationships between key players made me care too little about any of them, and led me to leave the book and move on too lightly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in part, 27 Jan. 2012
For the most part this is an original and compelling read, but I do think that in a novel with a plot the solution has to be convincing, otherwise on completion the whole reading experience is diminished. In the case of this book I do think the author has gone too far with a combination of coincidence and on the one hand implausible guesswork and on the other sheer incompetence by the police. It's not that I mind a certain degree of unreality in what is after all entertainment it's just that I think the author's plot resolution is unsatisfying, both in itself and the way in which she has one of the characters explain it in a rather unconvincing and disjointed way.

So, after all the criticism, why still 3 stars? Well, I found it an enjoyable read until the last few chapters so I was entertained during reading. And I wouldn't go so far as to say I felt cheated by the ending - just somewhat disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars More jiggery pokery..., 13 Aug. 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Point of Rescue: Culver Valley Crime Book 3 (Kindle Edition)
In "The Point of Rescue" we meet Sally Thorning, who a while ago had a short affair with a man named Mark Bretherick. Watching the news one morning she sees that Mark's wife and daughter are dead. But the man on the news is not Mark Bretherick....And so the mystery begins. I loved this book because of Sally mainly - a lot of her domestic situation at the time I read it matched mine - the children and the husband and the day to day stuff that gets you - and the need occasionally to just run away from it all! However in Sally's "getting away" period she has started a series of events that may well threaten both her life and that of her famiy. Its a complicated affair as is usual but also as usual intriguing and exciting. You won't get it. Well maybe you will. I didnt. I never do. Sigh. Darn that Sophie Hannah and all her weird and wonderful brain jiggery.