5.0 out of 5 stars The best of a fantastic series

Published on 27 May 2011 by L. Cartwright

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of a fantastic series, 9 May 2010
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I feel it is my duty to tell anyone who is thinking of buying this game that it will ruin your life, yesterday me and two friends played this game non-stop from 5pm to 3am. During this time frame we all had intense highs, crushing low points, bouts of eyestrain, bouts of insanity, anger issues, ego problems and by the end of it massive fatigue. All of this, in my opinion, proves how fresh Capcom have kept the Street Fighter series, I have been a huge fan of the franchise for years, having Street Fighter II on the SNES was the start of it all. Since then any Street Fighter game or Capcom cross-over has been an addiction for me, going round after round with a friend just doesn't get old.

Super Street Fighter IV is, obviously, not an entirely new game which may irritate some of the original SFIV fans, having to shell out another 25 to update their game may not sound appealing, but this is not just a few extras and a new package, the entire game has been rewritten and rebalanced to account for the 10 new characters and extra ultra combos. I personally thought that the original SFIV didn't quite hold up against SFIII 3rd Strike, I was a huge fan of the parry system, the incredibly detailed hand-drawn artwork, the cast and the feel of the game, I would have personally recommended Street Fighter III as the best SF title around. Super Street Fighter IV changes all of that, the extra content changes the entire feel of the game, the new ultras add more variety, the new characters are all something new and worth getting to grips with (especially the SFIII characters which i felt were completely over looked in the original SFIV) the trials feel sleeker and more helpful, the new online modes are great, the bonus stages are an enjoyable little extra and even the tiny little additions like being able to have the character theme music on Vs rather than the regular stage music are a nice touch.

Effectively what I'm saying is buy this game, I know this review is a little unbalanced since I am a huge Street Fighter fan and more-so a big fan of fighting games in general, so for me this game feels like the holy grail of the fighting genre. I can understand how the nostalgia, intense spirit of competition and undeniable series pedigree won't be there for people who are just fans of first person shooters, strategy games etc. But even then I would advise them to pick up a copy because it is the top end of a fantastic series of games that everyone should at-least try. In writing this I have realised I have spent half an hour not playing SSFIV and it hurts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Version of Street Fighter on a Console, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Even though SSFIV has been released one year after SFIV reinvigorated the fighting game genre, there are plenty of fans of the series who will pick this up. The big changes are the introduction of 10 new fighters (2 completely new to the series as a whole), more online modes to lose hundreds of hours to and a more streamlined challenge section (no time trials, survival mode etc) that focuses on special moves and combos for every character which get progressively more difficult.

On the surface, not a great deal has changed. The intro isn't as eye-catching as last year's game, but we're not here to watch intros all day. All characters are unlocked from the start so having to fight your way through arcade mode to unlock everyone isn't a necessity, but you will have to do so if you want to unlock all colours and taunts for your favourites. I started with Gouken (my character of choice from SFIV) and immediately noticed that the timings for all the moves have been tweaked slightly. I would argue that this is a little less forgiving than SFIV, but others (including many professional reviews) have said that this is actually more welcoming for the newcomer. I would disagree, but everyone is different so perhaps you may find it easier to pick up than any previous iteration of the game. The bonus stages make a return and while they're nice to have, as soon as I was able to, I switched them off as they kind of get in the way. The nostalgic amongst you may enjoy having them there, but personally, I'm happy to ignore them. You still have the same amount of fights before you face your rival and you can still select how many rounds you face per fight. Arcade fight requests are still present.

Apart from the timings of the moves and combos, I also noticed that damage has been tweaked slight as well so you have to work a little harder to win. I think it's common knowlege that every character has an additional ultra combo to use, but you have to select one before you fight.

Of the two characters, I have spent the most time with Hakan, a red Turkish oil Wrestler. In typical Capcom fashion, he is an extreme caricature who is wonderfully over the top. His entire move-set is based on oiling himself up and sliding himself over the opponent before projecting them across the screen. All of his moves are easy to perform and he seems to be a little over-powered, but having progressed through 18 of his challenges, I can see myself using this character online from time to time.

Online works the same as before. There are ranked and unranked matches to choose from and your country flag is displayed along with your gamertag, icon and title. The connection seems to be just as solid as before and the new modes (team battle and endless battle) add more variety to the online modes. Each character can be ranked up to show your proficiency with a particular character and you can track the stats of each one separately in your player data screen (very detailed). I've played a few ranked matches and I thought that everyone was picking the random character select option, but it appears that your view of the other person is obscured until you have both selected a character. No big deal, but worth mentioning if you tend to select a character to counter your opponent's selection.

All in all, a fantastic addition to the series which will appeal to fans and newcomers alike. It is a far more online focused package this time around with plenty of variety in the modes with less challenges to complete. Only you can decide if you think it's worth paying 20-25 for this updated version, but if for whatever reason you did not pick up SFIV, then Super SFIV is the version to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain AMAZING, 17 May 2010
Holliegh Drake "The Fluffy One" (Birtland!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I haven't stopped playing this game in over a week. And I haven't even beat Arcade mode with more than a handful of characters.
There's so much to do, from training to perfect your skills, challenge mode for fun or to get in some more practice! The more you play as a character, the more you unlock for them. And then you have online play!
You meet alot of spammers and alot of very skilled people but if that's not for you, then simply play with friends.
This game is a MUST for any Street Fighter fan. Hours...No! Months worth of fun to be had!

My Street Fighter days ended back in the days of Alpha 3...And then along came Street Fighter IV and it was...Meh, alright. Still not enough to revive my passion for fighting.
And then they come along with Super Street Fighter IV and I remember now, why I loved the series so much.
This game also see's the return of some old faces, aswell as a few new ones.
Cody being my favorite old face!
Words can't describe how much fun this. If you call yourself a Street Fighter fan, then what are you waiting for? Buy it! You won't regret it!

Don't forget to oil up!

You'll see what I mean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting Fans, this is the game for you., 1 May 2010
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Last years Street Fighter 4 was a big hit, and brung back the classic days of 2D fighting games. Now a year later Capcom has released Super Street Fighter 4, a massive upgrade to last years Street Fighter 4, and it's an amazing package that every fan of the series or any fighting fan will really enjoy.

First off is the 10 new characters. 8 classic characters return, those being Cody, Guy, T. Hawk, Dee Jay, Ibuki, Makoto, and Dudley. Along them are 2 new characters to the series, Juri and Hakan. All the characters from the first Street Fighter 4 return as well, bringing the total number of characters to 35. Theres also been balance tweaks to the original characters, so those who played Street Fighter 4 may notice some diffrences. None of the characters need to be unlocked, so you can get straight into the game and start having fun.

Other new things are some new stages, an option to play character themes during fights, return of the bonus stages, new anime cutscenes for the Arcade Mode, a new intro and the biggest new feature being all the new Online modes. New online modes include Ranked Battles, Endless Mode where you watch others fight and can commantate on the fights while waiting for your turn, and a new replay channel where you can watch and save replays of Online fights from all over the world so you can learn from the masters. Online will keep you going for a long long time.

All of this for a cheaper price than the original game, this is very much worth it. This is the best version of Street Fighter 4 and anyone who enjoys fighting games or Street Fighter should pick this up. An already amazing game now even better. 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute blast of a game, as long as you replace the xbox controller, 16 May 2011
Mr. F. Ahmed - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
SSFIV is undoubtedly a remarkable game and is the genuine leader in the 2D fighting game category. It's immensely deep, yet also manages to be highly accessible for newbies. The graphics are truly gorgeous, utilising beautiful cell shading and fantastic lighting. The gameplay is fast, deep, and highly rewarding to those who try to hone their skills. You really can't go wrong with SSFIV. Well, except if you don't replace the xbox controller with either a fightstick or the mad catz fightpad. I cannot tell you how much better this game is when I finally got the fightpad. If you get this game, and you should, then make sure you also pick up an xbox controller alternative because as good as the controller is for other games (especially first person shooters), it's infuriatingly poor with registering moves in fighting games. I've heard fighticks are in really short supply at the moment yet the demand is still very high, so of course they are very expensive. The mad catz fightpad is a perfect alternative though, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Bottom line is that SSFIV is an incredible game; fully deserving of all its praise from critics, just do yourselves a favour and get a decent controller/fightstick and you're ready to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely seminal..., 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I grew up playing SF2, SFA, and started playing 3S about 4 years ago. When SF4 was first released, I didn't have a next gen console and I ended up playing it on my mate's PS3, as they wanted to unlock characters but none of them were particularly good so they asked me to play through a few times. I have to admit although I had fun, I wasn't particularly taken with the game. I bought a PS2 for Tekken Tag Tournament, but SF4 never made me want to buy a next gen console, especially when I had decent Laptop already.
About 3 weeks ago I was online doing some Xmas shopping, and I saw SSF4 for this insanely low price. I'd be feeling the urge to get back into the fighting game game (so to speak), and the news of SF X Tekken, Tekken X SF and TTT2, only fuelled the fire. Now at this time I still don't own a next gen console, but my younger brother has a 360, SSF4 costs 5 to rent for 2 nights from my local video store, and I see my bro a few times a week, so even in my circumstance buying the game was a no brainer. And even though I haven't really been keeping up with SF news in particular, even I'd heard that the Super edition was a big improvement on its predecessor. Now I couldn't tell you all the changes they've made in SSF4, but whatever they did has led to the creation of probably the best 2D, and maybe overall fighting game I've ever played.
The character balance is close to perfect, the graphics are gorgeous, the sound is awesome, and regardless of you're skill level or experience with the SF, you can just pick up and play right away. And the online mode is fantastic. As long as you've got a good connection and you choose another player with similar connectivity, you'll never run out of people to play against.
I could go on but I'd only say what's already been said before, so I'll simply state that I WILL SHORTLY BE BUYING MY OWN 360 PURELY BECAUSE OF THIS GAME. If that doesn't impress upon you how good it is nothing will.
The only grievance I have is the Xbox controller is pants for fighting games, so I invested in a MadCatz Fightpad and I'd recommend you do the same, or maybe get a joystick if you've got the extra cash.
Don't hesitate. Sonic boom this baby into your basket and Hadoken it through your letter box ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, remarkable value, 2 May 2010
C. Gillon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
What can I say? It's a great game. Not only did Capcom add 10 characters into the mix, but they took the liberty to revamp and re-balance all the other characters in the game, making it a near perfect balance to play online. There's so much more to do in this game, a variety of different achievements than Street fighter IV, making the replay value much greater.

Considering all of the changes, such as new stages, characters, bonus stages, online modes, challenges, achievements, and smaller detailed tweaks such as custom soundtracks, this game is at least worth 40, yet it's being sold for 20 - 25. It's a steal, and not only that, amazon delivered this little gem to my door the day of release, props for that one, amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably a great game, if you have the patience to persevere with it, 27 May 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I bought this game after reading various reviews of how good it is. The graphics are nothing short of stunning and there are plenty of characters to choose from. The only reason I've given this game such a low score isn't for the game itself, it's because the Xbox 360 Controller is absolutely terrible for use with this game. Maybe after a lot of practice the gamer gets used to the loose feeling stick of the controller, but it will take a gamer with a lot more patience than I've got. The special moves are very hard to pull off. If you're prepared to spend extra money (which I'm not) to get a decent stick for this game, maybe it's easier. My advice for anyone unsure is to rent it first to see if you can get to grips trying to pull off specials/ultras with the Xbox 360 Controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for SSF lovers, 28 May 2010
Andre P. O. Vieira (London, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This games is only truly fun for those who spent hours in the arcade houses playing this game years ago. People new to the game won't find it as fun.
In which case you will feel bound to get an arcade joystick to play this games - the regular 360 controller is real bad for performing the special moves. Expect to spend at least 50 on an arcade controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Street Fighter (Xbox 360), 24 April 2014
This review is from: Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Brilliant old school game, not always as responsive as it could have been, but part of the charm anyway, everyone round the house had a go, Grandma being particularly aggressive!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Super Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360)
Used & New from: 3.71