5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound - outstanding quality, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: Cowon i9 8GB MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
Have had my player about two weeks now and am amazed by it. The quality of the sound and the capabilities are outstanding. I am not an audiophile, but the incredible array of settings as well as the superb presets is really quite stunning, especially, when compared to Apple products.

The unit is very compact and well built, albeit light. The controls have a solid and reliable feel. Screen and graphics are wonderful. I did not buy it to watch videos or play games, but that said it replays .wmv very well.

Navigating the menus is relatively easy if you are familiar with modern consumer electronics and mobile phones. The menu switch on the right hand side of the player activates the main menu, which you can then navigate using the touch pad. Once a function has been selected from this main menu, you can hold the play/pause touch key to access the sub-menu for that function and that is about it. The rest is a matter of adjusting things to suit your taste.

I spent some time reading the articles on the anything but ipod website and having tried my wife's nano was drawn to try something different. I do not like that fact Apple tie you into itunes either. The Cowon is great you can drag and drop or use the Jetaudio programme delivered with it to load and manage files. Furthermore, it plays so many audio formats is almost mind boggling! Ogg-Vorbis, FLAC etc are all on there.

Finally, I would just like to mention the truly incredible sound of the Cowon unit. The Jet Audio custom settings are seriously unbelievable. You can play around and find out what works best for you and your headphones - subjective yes, and that is exactly why its so good, you have the options to hit that proverbial sweet spot! Apple can't do that!

I checked out some other sites for headphones info as well as the anything but ipod site and found some good info on hifiheadphones.co.uk from whom I ordered a lovely pair of Soundmagic PL30s - quite possibly the best 30 quid I have ever spent! Again I am no expert, but man are they comfy and they sound so so very good for 30 quid a bargain. For some reason they are much harder to get in Germany, only via Ebay, hence me ordering them from the UK. I believe the standard headphones are also better than average, however as I never bothered to unpack them and just plugged the ones from Soundmagic in straight away I can't comment on them.

My player is the 8gb version in white. I have almost filled the memory with music and several audio books bought from Audible.com; on of which with the free download coupon that came with the player. Personally, I find the 8gb to be more than enough space as the whole point of such players is that you can use them flexibly with your pc and add or remove files at your leisure.

I like my Cowon iaudio 9 a lot and will definitely buy from them again in future. Great stuff. The full five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Player, 6 Feb 2010
This review is from: Cowon i9 8GB MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
Overall this is a very nice player If you are looking for good sound quality. I have just included some points I would look for when buying a new MP3 player. I have heard the creative x-fi players are also good for sound quality if that is what you are looking for.Creative ZEN X-Fi 8GB MP3 and Video Player with SD Card Slot

Music

It plays the songs through without gaps although a blip can be detected at the changeover if music is continuous. Browse with artists, songs, album etc -no messing about with folders. However it does not seem to recognise track numbers for wma files and these are played in alphabetical order. Plays mp3s in the right order though.

Does not start to play immediately when switched on. The sound quality is good and competes well with CD. The headphones that come with it don't do it justice get some better ones with it. I'm not convinced with the BBE+ technology it has though it just seems to add noise to the background.

Video

The screen quality is good although it is a little small. Plays videos in alphabetical order with a very small gap between them. Also starts from previous point

It is quite hard to get the videos to work. The video codecs are AVI, WMV and ASF. MP4 is not supported. I found that they didn't work even when in these formats (didn't try ASF) and had to convert them as follows (into AVI).
Video settings: codec - XviD 1.1.3 final, bitrate - 500 kb/s, FPS - 30.
Audio settings: codec - MP3, bitrate 128 kb/s
resolution 320 x 240
Hope this helps.

General

The player is very light and compact. The interface is good there aren't many buttons and it is generally simple and easy to use. Some of the settings only have pictures which aren't clear but this isn't very important. The built in speaker is very quiet and sounds terrible. The battery life is good but don't expect the 29 hours they advertise. Charging is quick.

Holds pictures and text files. Takes flash games apparently but I cant get them to work just goes to the game menu and stops; the buttons weren't doing anything. The FM radio is alright but not great the signal breaks up sometimes. Takes audio recordings in wma format and these are surprisingly good, and go up to 256 kb/s.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% pleased with it, 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Cowon i9 8GB MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
I did some research before bying cowoni9 and I decided to go for it based on the reviews I read.
The things I like about it are:
1)It has dedicated volume buttons that can also work in hold mode
(you can change their functionality if you wish to in order switch between tracks).
2)Apart from creating playlists you can listen to songs from a specific folder(s)
(this is the most convenient way for me at least)
3)With a firmware upgrade the battery life is prolonged
4)Amazing sound quality (39 jeteffect presets +4 user-defined presets offering several adjustments)
5)Easy to operate while working out in the gym
6)Size- weight
Things I don't like:
1) It is not that easy to select functions such as shuffle, repeat etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement, 25 Aug 2012
This review is from: Cowon i9 8GB MP3 Player - White (Electronics)
I replaced this after I accidentally broke my mums. She didn't notice, only problem is how expensive it was. (and how sensitive it is and how it isn't loud enough... but my mum likes it)

Cowon i9 8GB MP3 Player - White