5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent romp in a wonderfully realised city.
The Thorn of Camorr is a legendary master swordsman, stealing from the rich to give to the poor. He is also a complete fabrication. Locke Lamora is the fabled Thorn and whilst adept at stealing from the rich - after all only they have anything worth stealing, he never really got to grips with the giving to the poor bit. When it comes to swordplay, he's only a danger to...
Published on 2 Jun. 2012 by The Hatchet Bunny

2.0 out of 5 stars Unliterary Locke
"The Lies of Locke Lamora" is an excellent idea for a story but one which fails to meet its potential. The story is set in a fantasy city that has more than a passing similarity to Renaissance Venice. The main character is a professional thief and confidence man, a likeable rogue and anti-hero.

Unfortunately the setting is ruined by the insistence of...
Published 12 months ago by Neil Lennon

‹ Previous | 123 24 2530 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it...you will be rewarded!, 24 Nov. 2011
H. Ellis (UK) - See all my reviews
Like some of the other reviewers of The Lies of Locke Lamora I nearly gave up on this book within the first few pages, but I have only ever abandoned a book before finishing it once and so decided to persevere. I'm glad I did.

This is a book that definitely improves as it goes along. As others have said, it's as if the author was finding his feet at the beginning but most definitely got into his stride after the first few chapters. The use of the flashback "interludes" becomes clearer the further into the book you get.

I WILL be reading the sequel Red Seas Under Red Skies (GollanczF.) although I see there are mixed reviews of that. I hope that at some point we learn about the Locke/Sabetha love story that was only alluded to in The Lies of Locke Lamora and also, of course, Locke's real name, behind which I'm sure lies a tale.

I have given this book 4 stars instead of 5 because, as some other reviewers have mentioned, I too found the swearing to be OTT and almost anachronistic. Having said that, I think that substituting "gadzooks" or similar for the eff words would also have been "wrong"...it would have been preferable, from my own point of view, had the author been able to "invent" alternative curses...he obviously has a vivid imagination and I'm sure this would be possible!

Overall, a gripping and jolly good read! I would love to see this book made into a film. Robert Carlyle to play Locke Lamora?!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastical con-men, 16 July 2014
Gripping, hilarious and thrilling

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and packed full of goodness., 2 Sept. 2009
G. Phethean "GP" (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
The Lies of Locke Lamora is most certainly an original book full of twists and turns, fighting and gore, swearing, pick-pocketing, scheming, conning, trickery and wicked characters (did I miss anything?). Quite truthfully, it has a little something for everyone.

Scott Lynch is a superb writer and spins a web of twists better than a Black Widow spider.
The characters are believable and I was able to connect and understand not only their traits, but their goals and what the protagonists were, ultimately, trying to achieve. The antagonist is also excellent and he has interesting motives. It's not a book about a nasty man who hates everyone and, in turn, we hate him. Then our hero comes along saves the day blah, blah, blah...NO! The story and characters are on a whole other level. The story strolls along and then suddenly something completely unexpected will happen 'Blam!' It's like a punch to the back of the head.

I really can appreciate a book that can keep you guessing. Too often is it that storylines are predictable and the author's attempt at misdirection is foiled by the reader immediately.
Read this book if you looking for a thrilling read, clever writing and an author with some great ideas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 Sept. 2014
Not really my cup of tea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Clever but a too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunner, 1 Jan. 2008
This is a wonderful book, one of those sadly rare stories which takes you away from your everyday life and, in fact, makes you forget that you even have one. I picked it up on a whim thinking it would be good train ride fodder and have never been so pleased to risk a few quid. The story is astoundingly detailed but never so much so that you loose interest. In fact, two stories run together, but in such a clever and appropriate way that neither plot-line looses out to the other. If you're still unsure, risk it anyway, the pounds you spend will be repaid. In fact, I only finished the thing 5 minutes ago and I'm already here buying number 2. What does that tell you?

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best book I have read in years, 14 Sept. 2007
Sue Birch "Chrib" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Scott Lynch is writing classics in the making. The Lies of Locke Lamora is the best fantasy tale I have read in a long time. It has everything...characters you can identify with, humour, a cracking good story with lots of unexpected twists and turns...long may he write...I will be waiting to buy.

S E Birch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 July 2008
Ms. L. M. Green (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I find that I take a long time to get through Scott Lynch's books. I suspect this is because there is so much happening in them. There's no excess description here, not a word wasted. Every single character is a work of art, and the plot is complex but carefully structured. There's a very realistic feel to this beautifully described world, so much so that I am surprised to emerge from the novel and find myself living in a world without elderglass towers shark-filled canals.

This novel is character-driven and very emotional, and I dare you not to get sucked in from page one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable, but......, 19 April 2008
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A few months ago, I gave up on this book after about 50 pages so the fact that I've gone back to it, finished it and given it five stars must say something. Stay with it through the first section - it does change quite a bit later. So much of this book is fresh and original - I especially loved the descriptions of various parts of the city and its buidings. One or two things I don't think he's got quite right [bit too much swearing, especially towards the end] but Lynch looks like he may become a major force. Good he may be, but at the moment I still prefer Joe Abercrombie.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 25 Nov. 2007
OK but not great - I was rather disappointed after all the good reviews. Basically this is the same territory as the old Fritz Leiber 'Grey Mouser and Ffarad' stories. Amusing but not terribly original caper fantasy. A couple of things irritated me. First, for a story that was supposed to be based on the hero's cleverness, the logical inconsistencies were annoying and removed a large part of the point. Secondly the moral system of this supposedly amoral hero was a mixture of violence and sentimentality rather too familiar in current fantasy. The final turn-off was the discovery that this is the first of seven volumes. No thank you.

‹ Previous | 123 24 2530 | Next ›