5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-mode monster
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:49 Mins
As someone who creates video reviews it became clear I needed to do something about the audio quality as my current camcorder didn't support an external microphone and the internal mic was fairly poor.

Published 3 months ago by Reviewify.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you want it for
If it is for skype, podcasting and occasional recording away from home, then probably a 5 star item. For more serious recording of musical instruments you are far better off with an audio interface and a decent tradional condenser mic - I get better results with the line 6 UX2 and the rode m3 mics amongst others. But it could be just what you are looking for!
Published 6 months ago by Neb

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-mode monster, 16 April 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition (Electronics)
Length:: 1:49 Mins

After a lot of searching around I settled on the Blue Yeti USB microphone due to good reviews and the interesting design that meant I didn't need to buy an additional stand.

The Yeti hasn't disappointed, it looks fantastic and has given me the ability to add much better audio to the videos I produce. I'm only using it in one mode, cardioid, but there are 4 modes in total available:

- Stereo
- Cardioid
- Omnidirectional
- Bidirectional

Setup was really easy, just plug it into your PC/laptop and depending on your setup you might need to select it as the microphone to use. The Yeti has a headphone socket on the bottom which has introduced me to the world of instant feedback, it's really useful being able to hear what the Yeti is picking up so you can easily tell if it's too noise, or if you're too far away etc. Note that this might also need setting up to ensure sound isn't played out of your speakers instead of your headphones.

Aside from videos I've also used this as the microphone for Skype and Steam, with the other people commenting that I sounded much better than I had via a webcam mic. Again, setup is very easy, you just need to ensure the Yeti is selected as the microphone in whatever application you're using.

Very pleased with the microphone so far, I think it's an excellent purchase if you're looking to improve the quality of sounds you record. I'm still getting the hang of how best to use this (e.g. how close to the mic I should be, gain level etc) but you should be able to hear the huge improvement over my camcorder microphone in the video I've done, no hissing background noise for a start!

Looks great, sounds great, an investment I'm very pleased with and highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Microphone Yeti USB, 6 Aug 2010
The microphone worked straight out of the box without the need to install any software. Indeed I was able to connect it to my IPad using the camera connection kit. The sound quality was distinctly superior to anything else I have ever used to record to a computer. In fact the sound quality was really impressive for voice and acoustic guitar. The microphone is well built and easy to use. I thought it represented very good value for money after I had set it up and tested it. Now after a few weeks of using it I am even more impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best microphones I've used., 10 Jun 2011
No installation required, just plugged straight in and it worked instantly (on windows 7, but works with Vista and XP also, have tried on both!).

The quality of this microphone is incredible. I've done a course in music production and used a lot of varying microphones at much higher prices than this, but this easily matches them at a fraction of the cost.

I do a lot of acoustic recording with this, generally using it on the "Stereo" setting, plugging my headphones straight into the Yeti to monitor the levels.

Also found out that your computer will register the Yeti as an external speaker, so if you select the Yeti as your default speaker when it's plugged in, you can listen to anything your computer plays (videos, games, music) through the headphones that are plugged into the yeti, and still be able to hear yourself speaking too! Fantastic little feature, was genuinely impressed.

I cannot rate this microphone highly enough, but 5/5 will have to do.

Also, purchased on Friday morning, arrived on Saturday morning. How's that for service!?

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Yeti Microphone Review, 27 May 2011
When I received this item I was excited just by the beautiful box it came in. When I got it out of the box everything I wanted was there; the heavy microphone bass made from cast aluminium, attached to the microphone, a good length of USB wire (3M) and a book with some graphs of frequency response on the different settings.

The instruction book had a load of information about the different settings but if you know anything about microphones and recording all you will need to look at is the knobs on the thing.

This thing is STURDY. It would take a small earthquake to knock it over. It is also very sensitive. I was previously on an ATR40 and the response on that was terrible. The response on this mic however is, compared to my previous one, out of this world. I was thinking about having my tea and it recorded that! Honestly though, it can pick anything up. I've been using it to record vocals and acoustic guitar mainly and i've had to have it on the quietest setting because it picks up everything so well. T

There's a 4-way selector knob for how you want the mic set up to record either 1. Stereo 2. Cardioid 3. Omnidirectional and 4. Bidirectional. You can change the gain of the mic with another knob, on the front you have a mute button and a headphone volume button.

When plugged in the computer and with headphones plugged into the mic you can record and hear the output from the computer.

If you want to record using a boom stand you can too, not sure how that would work live but fine for if you want it set up in a home studio, aimed at a guitar, kit or whatever.

Literally the best piece of kit I have ever bought for recording, great value and couldn't be happier. I can only imagine what the Yeti Pro is like but I can't think that I'd ever need one based on how good this is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Testing, testing... 1,2,3,4,5 stars, 20 Jun 2013
I bought this mic for one simple reason: making webcasts. And it is very good at that.

It is easy to install and work with, although you do need to position it sensibly otherwise it will pick up the vibrations as you type. But that was abundantly clear before I bought it, and I have to say that the audio quality is orders of magnitude better than the traditional headset mics that I've used in the past - even the very good ones.

I can well imagine that it would be great for recording music, but given that I can't sing or play an instrument, I'm not going to comment on that.

With my webcasts, I simply turn off all the spare kit in the room and it produces crystal clear recordings.

Lovely.

(Note: I also bought an anti-pop screen, which (a) makes the mic look really professional, and (b) definitely appears to improve the audio. So for a few extra quid, you might want to consider this.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo easy, 26 April 2011
I haven't recorded since the 90s when I did a few professional recordings.
I did a fair bit of research on the net for what I wanted - just to record voice and guitar in basic surroundings.
O.M.G. this Blue Yeti came out of the box, plugged into my laptop.
changed a couple of settings acc to brief 'manual', installed audacity and hey presto!
It really sounds like my voice - was hoping for Celine/Adele but that's not the mic. The clarity is wonderful.
Background noise non-existent.
Very slight delay on recording harmonies, but will address as this written 30 mins after installing.
guitar to add yet.
So delighted that I had to write!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and go, 27 Jun 2010
Neil Boyd (England) - See all my reviews
It's big and heavy, I've added a photo with my hand to give a sense of scale. Plug in the supplied USB cable, (on a Mac), select the Yeti in Sound Input System Preferences and you are ready to go. There's a Pattern selector knob with some unhelpful icons to represent the four different settings for the mic (stereo, cardioid for single person recording, omnidirectional for round table recording and bidirectional for two people across table recording). There is a Gain knob to increase the input for quiet sounds. If you choose, you can plug in some headphones to listed to the input as a Monitor. There is a front volume knob to control this sound level. This knob has a very spongy feel as if it hasn't been fitted properly. There is a red LED Mute button that blinks when muted or is permanently on when the mic is plugged into the computer.

I need to place the Yeti and stand on a sponge mat because the Yeti picks up the vibration of my hard drive through my desk. I am pleased with the sound quality. The mic is too big to be comfortably placed on my desktop and record screencasts which is what I bought it for. The build quality and material finish is not as high quality as I had expected. In this I was slightly disappointed but it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars I chose the Yeti over the Meteor, 4 Mar 2014
So I was faced with a tough decision: the Blue Yeti or the Samson Meteor. After having watched several YouTube reviews of both products, I was still undecided, as they both seemed excellent and I was only looking to record my own voice, not music. They both had a 3.5mm headset connection, they both had a headphones volume dial, but was the Yeti worth that extra 42?

I still don't know! But I chose the Yeti over the Meteor because of the gain dial. When I was going through my PC's 3.5mm mic jack, Windows 7 controlled the gain of the mic through its ridiculous "microphone boost" feature. You get a bright hiss in the background that has to be removed using software, leaving a tinny voice behind after stripping it. The whole point of buying a USB mic was to cut out the middle man and have a pure, digital sound capture fed directly to my hard disk. For me, the gain control on the back is a huge part of that. I can choose exactly how sensitive it is and decide how close I want to sit, all from the mic itself. I am so happy I have this ability, it makes the mic for me.

Make no mistake, though, the Blue Yeti is HUGE and very heavy, so if portability is a big factor for you, the Samson Meteor might be a better compromise. But if you're after a rock solid, desk-mounted, crystal clear USB mic, that has built-in gain control and directional pickup, I recommend the Yeti. The headphone jack is also recognized by Windows as a pair of USB speakers (I didn't know such a thing existed) and you can feed all your PC's audio through the mic, if you like, giving you a handy desk-mounted headphone jack and volume control.

Oh, and I didn't buy a pop filter, but if you're going to be closer than 10cm to the mic, you need one. It depends on how loud your voice is and how far away you're sitting, but for that extra lush, deep bass-sound to your voice, you'll have to get in close and unless you're happy speaking off to one side, you're going to need the filter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you want it for, 7 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Microphone, 29 July 2011
John Talbot (uk) - See all my reviews
I have been recording for years and this mic is one of the best I have ever used. It is nice and solid, works out-of-the-box (with my Macbook Pro) and has all of the features you need for any type of recording. Really excellent.

Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition