5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy
Wanted to post a review on this bag as it took me a while to decide which backpack to go for to use for work, so hopefully this may help someone else decide a bit quicker!

Published on 6 Sept. 2011 by R. Boyes

2.0 out of 5 stars high quality but with one major flaw
backpack is built with highest quality, good design of pockets and main compartment with nice checkpoint friendly design. BUT I can't see how this can be marketed as backpack for 16" notebook? HP 15,6" notebook can't fit in (upper edges are tight fitted into it)... If you're considering this backpack for 15.6" notebook better forget it and go for one of 17" models as...
Published on 8 Dec. 2011 by Siberian Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, 6 Sept. 2011
R. Boyes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wenger WA-7329-14 Legacy 16 Inch Notebook Backpack (Personal Computers)

Very impressed with the bag, lots of room inside for all your stuff. I have managed to fit a 15.6 inch laptop in the laptop compartment without trouble. Laptop compartment is well padded so gives good protection.
Main pocket is big, you can fit a lot in there. Large A4 folder will go in no problem. There is a small(ish) pocket on the top of the bag which is great for storing things you may need in a hurry (car keys, phone etc).
Front compartment has multiple organiser sections to put all your various bits in.
So far I have managed to carry two laptops and power supplies, a tablet pc and all the documents I needed without too much trouble. The good thing is though that you can do this but the bag doesn't look too big when on your back.
As another reviewer has said, if you filled this bag to capacity you may struggle to lift it!
Build quality is excellent, bottom of the bag is covered in a hard wearing material so should stand up to some abuse.
The bag is also well balanced so will stand up on its base in a stable manner, making access easy. Also pretty comfortable when being worn.

In summary very happy and would recommend this bag to anyone who wants a backpack to carry laptop etc which also looks the part for work/business use.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Mercedes of Laptop Backpacks, 24 Feb. 2011
The Legacy is a very good laptop bag from Wenger, makers of the genuine Swiss Army penknife. I've been using it daily for a couple of months and it is holding up well. Most noticeably, the backpack has a huge capacity, and yet is quite compact in size - the Tardis of laptop backpacks. The actual laptop compartment, which is at the back of the bag, is "check-in friendly" and is a separate section that can unzip the whole way so that it and the main backpack body can be opened up 180 degrees and laid flat. That aside, the rest of the bag is incredibly well made with quality padded nylon, there are no annoying holes which might potentially let rain water in (finally Wenger!) and there are three other sections in which to store your stuff.

The main "folder" section is capacious, and is easily capable of accommodating everything that you could possibly ever need to carry, to the point where the bag would almost surely be too heavy to lift. And this brings me onto the first negative point... the folder section is so large and yet there is only one separator inside to keep things snug. A few more compartments or Velcro walls would have been nice.

My second negative point about the bag concerns the shoulder straps, which in my opinion have three minor design weaknesses: first, they are not non-slip. If you are in a rush and only carrying the bag on one shoulder it has a tendency to slip off - especially if you're wearing a waterproof jacket. Try fumbling for a rail ticket in the rush hour with the bag on one shoulder, and the unfortunate commuter behind you is liable to get whacked by your backpack as it slips off! Secondly, the back supports don't offer much ventilation, so when forced to wear the backpack with both straps on the shoulders (which is necessary to prevent it slipping off etc.) your back will soon get hot and sweaty. And thirdly, the shoulder straps have two long adjustable toggles which, when pulled comfortably, swing down a foot on either side and there seems to be nowhere to tuck them away.

Finally, this backpack is expensive - at over £90, this baby is at the top end of the executive laptop bag market and with that price tag it borders on the trendy market held by the likes of Crumpler, Timbuk2, Tom Bihn and Baicyclon. But if a "corporate" backpack is what you're looking for, and you are already set upon a Wenger bag, then this is probably the best one you can get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wenger WA-7329-14 Legacy 16 Inch Notebook Backpack, 18 Jan. 2014
What a great bag this is: it's robust, right size and perfect for commute to work & site.
Just a clarification on the comments by Sparty 142 & Siberian Wolf who both stated that : "My 15.6" laptop is 270 x 40 x 360 mm, and there is absolutely no chance that it will fit in this bag" and "HP 15,6" notebook can't fit in".
I nearly didn't purchase mine based on their comments but the reality is that it fits my HP 15.6" with room to spare! My laptop dimensions are: 370x250x30mm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wenger Legacy 16 Inch Notebook Backpack, 3 Nov. 2013
I bought this to replace another Swissgear backpack, whose handle main had split, such that it had sharp edges which were cutting my hands.

One of the main reasons I went for this one, is that the main handle has no steel cable incorporated into the handle, like my old one, so there is less chance of it splitting.

It is smaller than the rucksack I had before, but I realised that before I bought it and just accepted the compromise. It doesn't have as many compartments as the old one, so I've had to be a bit more creative about stowing everything I usually carry around at work. I'm happy to say though, that I've managed to find a place for everything. That said, I do carry a ridiculous amount of gear around with me, (laptop, folders, sat nav, wallet, keys, 2 phones, driving licence, mp3 player, calculator, pocket torch, swiss army knife, cycle tools and more besides), so not everyone will have my problem.

Another advantage this rucksack has over my old one, is that it has a sturdier and more stable base. My old one would keep falling over when heavily laden. No such issues with this one. I can also report that I'm able to fit my personal 17" laptop in the notebook compartment, when I'm not carrying my 16" work laptop.

The other main thing I've noticed is that, because its slimmer and generally more compact, it feels lighter, despite the fact I still cram loads of stuff into it and it sits better on my shoulders...even on 1 strap (the old one would slide off very easily).

In summary, I'm very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fantastic, 20 Jan. 2014
Have had this bag around 3 months now, no errors or abnormalities to report. Did seem initially smaller than described when it came, however it has surprised me with how much it can actual capacity, its comfortability and stability.

When running to lectures bag does not bounce around or slow you down, it feels cleverly sits in the same place on your back during motion. Not painfully uncomfortable under extreme weights either (although anything heavy will feel heavy over time, however the bag straps do not dig into your shoulders when it is heavily weighted).

Bag has a large compartment in the middle which can accommodate two of my lever arch files and have space for a laptop charger, pencil case and additional books. The separate laptop compartment is a perfect fit for my laptop, can also squeeze a textbook or two in there along with the laptop and portable external hard drive. Even under extreme rain I have never had a leakage of water onto any of my possessions.

I'm somebody who has been through A LOT of bags (sometimes more than one a semester!) However I'd gladly buy this again if I needed a replacement and recommend it to anyone! (especially students).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Backpack, 5 Sept. 2011
Ordered this Backpack because I was recommended the Swissgear brand.
I have only positive feedback.
Very nice organization of pockets / compartments.
I'm transporting a 15 inch laptop, power supply, a lot of cables, external disks, papers and other necessary "stuff" - All is now perfectly organized and easy to access.
Using this backpack I realized how bad ergomonics my old ones has.
It fits my back and is remains firm and "easy" to carry.
Ordered with super saving free delivery and it was delivered faster than expected (after 4 days, and I expected 8-10 days)
For my part it's a 100% recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great rucksack!, 7 Jun. 2013
A. Irvine "Board Rider" (Southeast, England) - See all my reviews
Fantastic laptop rucksack. Plenty of pockets and helpful storage. Comfortable to carry and great build quality. Looks brilliant too. File storage pocket is big enough for an SLR in small carry case too, would even fit small amount of clothing for travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need and more, 28 Nov. 2011
Absolutely fantastic. I'm not the type who usually writes reviews, but this bag is so good that I feel like I have to. Bag is HUGE, and the laptop compartment is really well padded and well designed, so much that I no longer need to bring my laptop sleeve with me. Loads and loads of compartments, I'm an university student and it easily swallows up two or three A4 folders, my 15.4inch laptop, my mouse, power adaptors, my bike lock, and a jumper, each in their own compartment. Very well made, very stylish, this will last for years. Had it for about 2 weeks, and I absolutely love it. Worth the investment, top notch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still going after two years, 15 Mar. 2014
I use this backpack for everyday getting-to-the-office and as hand luggage when flying both short haul and long haul, often with connections. Usually it has a 13.3" or 14" laptop in it. When I fly, it is typically stuffed pretty full. The laptop section is deep and the padded section keeps the laptop well off the floor. In fact it is no problem to put both a 10" tablet and a 14" ultrabook in this section together.

After two years, it really has done well. One of the plastic "cross pieces" in the handle has broken, but that's all. A few comments about my experience:

A promoted feature of this bag is that you don't have to take your laptop out for airport screening. You can just open out the back half and lie it flat on the belt. Almost no airport that I travel through accepts this (Europe/Asia mostly). They like to see your laptop out and in a plastic tray. Because of the extra delay when I get to the front of the queue and try to explain this feature only to hear a "no", I've now given up and get my laptop out of the bag like everyone else.

Whilst on the subject of flights, this bag does not make the best use of the hand luggage dimensions you are permitted on most airlines. Probably better to get a slightly different shaped bag if that's what you want. It passes my test of docs/papers + one laptop + my EOS6D with 24-105mm lens + one litre bottle of something!

The bag is meant to stand upright. Well from new it tended to "slouch" a bit. Unless you packed it in a particularly lop-sided way, it would, however, stand up. Now it does tend to roll over. The base is just not sturdy enough. No big deal, I prefer to keep it off the floor anyway, typically putting it on a chair beside me.

An opportunity missed is that you cannot lock this bag. I have seen bags where the zips fasteners have holes that you can line up and put a small padlock through. That would deter petty dipping.

The front section looks great in the pics - many little sections for filing away stuff. But I feel a design error is that this section would benefit from more width (even at the expensive of the other sections). The zip doesn't go down far enough and practically meets the zip separating the main section. Access to this section always seems too tight to me and I don't use it nearly as much as I could. In fact if the main section is full, the most you can do is to slide your hand into this section in order to retrieve items. But the top section is great for dumping keys/phones/passport etc.

Overall build is good. However if you stuffed it full of heavy stuff, I'm sure the handle would tear off or something would give. If it's full I support it underneath with one hand whilst swinging it onto my back.

Despite the above niggles, this bag has proven good value. It is certainly more comfortable to wear than my previous bags - the padded straps are perfect for me. I've carried this bag in 35C without sweating too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - almost, 16 Oct. 2012
I ordered an HP backpack on the basis of other reviews. I sent it back, as it was not robust enough. See my review.

I ordered this back pack. It was almost perfect.

It's spacious, got strong fabric, is well lined got plenty of pockets and an excellent internal pocket for the laptop. Shoulder straps robust. Carry handles x two - one for using with pull along luggage and the other to lift. Web external pockets great. And all internal materials strong and well sewn in.

The only thing I didn't particularly keen on was the base material - but that's just personal taste and the fact it provides a waterproof and wipe clean surface is doubtless a big plus.

Even the colour and flashes were fine.

However I bought it from Amazon warehouse and it was described as "new". Except it wasn't. It had a 2cm tear in a seam that was only going to get bigger. Returned it. I hope it's not the one that's relisted again as new with no mention of the tear!

New ones were out of stock with a long wait (and I wanted from Amazon in case I got a dodgy one)so went for the Targus Drifter. This is a strong replacement, see review. However if I ever need another, I'll hope that wenger are in stock and arrive with no defects, as it was ahead across enough aspects to make it well worth having. I can't understand why amazon ever let it go out of stock....

Wenger WA-7329-14 Legacy 16 Inch Notebook Backpack