4.0 out of 5 stars o.k does the job
I bought 2 of these ,one for my car and one for my ladies car, both of the cars are not used much due to us both driving company vehicles all the week, on my car the charger works just fine and I have not had a flat battery again despite the car not being used for weeks at a time .On my ladies car it is a different story she has an all singing and dancing security system...
Published on 21 May 2010 by Mr. R. Collings

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure if it works or not
I bought this for my car as I rarely drive it and the battery often gets too low that it needs to be jumped, after charging the battery up again I attached this device to it but after a week or so of not using the car I went to start and it was DEAD flat, no lights or anything, I understand that this product does not charge the battery but i assumed it would keep what...
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by K. Gunn

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful!, 13 Sep 2011
A. Blok "Oflife" (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SOLAR POWER CAR PANEL BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGER 12V 1.5W (Electronics)
Here is my letter to Mighty Oak Trading who supplied mine, with an update at the end:

Dear Mighty Oak, I have just received my solar battery charger. In random order: 1) The receptacle that plugs into the cigarette lighter contains a fuse that forms part of the sprung 'finger' that goes into the charger socket in the car. Yet the fuse is too wide, so the screw on cap fell off on arrival and the fuse cannot fit through the hole, so cannot make contact with the contact in the lighter socket. 2) The unit on the Amazon website (from yourselves) was shown to be black. The unit in the box is grey. I expect a product I order online to be identical to the one shipped - no different - no matter the price. Related: 3) I specially chose NOT to purchase from Maplin because their product quality is poor and we often have to return such items purchased from their retail stores. I was shocked to see the Maplin brand name on the back of the unit you shipped me! If I wanted something from Maplin, I would order from them.

I have yet to test the unit on my car battery (that is already almost flat) as it is night time now, but I would like you to send me a black one NOT made by Maplin FIRST CLASS and with the correct lighter plug - and on receipt, I will send this one back. I will not send this one back yet, because I need to keep my battery trickle charged to prevent it being damaged. (The car is too far away to be charged using a mains charger - hence I purchased this item urgently.) I am just hoping this one will work, I will use the crocodile clips for now.

UPDATE: 1) Before connecting the solar charger to my car battery (which is almost flat) I used a multimeter to measure the voltage produced by the charger. The voltage fluctuates from 3 to 10 volts, so I am not optimistic this is going to work. 2) I received a reply to my complaint above and despite demanding they send another one first, they simply suggest I send this one back for a replacement, with no guarantee that it will be a different model. WARNING!!! It is my advice to everyone to NOT purchase items like this online or even from companies like Argos. For the last few years I have purchased good from both Amazon partners and Argos and they have NOT been the same as advertised, often Chinese knockoffs - including a hybrid USB hub/laptop stand, which was sold as a Logitech model, and in fact an unbranded product of poor quality whose USB hub failed 5 minutes after being connected to my peripherals.

Oh, I'm putting two stars, because until I jump start the car using another car and let the solar charger do it's thing, I have no idea if it does actually work. I am willing to bet it won't - just like those cheap 'solar powered' Chinese made rock lights you can buy in the discount stores where if you take them apart, the 'solar panels' do not even connect to the lights - there is a battery inside. My iPad and other Apple hardware is made in China, and I know they can product excellent stuff, but that is often designed abroad. The Chinese need to step up to the game and stop conning us - and resellers need to stop selling such rubbish.

The hassle you go through in having a product that isn't up to spec and then returning it makes the whole process a waste of time. GO INTO A SHOP, HANDLE THE PRODUCT IN ADVANCE AND BUY IT THERE AND THEN. And if it fails, you can simply return it and get a replacement or refund the same day. Yes, you may pay a few pounds more, but you get peace of mind and save your high street at the same time.

Amazon: You need to stop allowing these dubious sellers to tarnish your brand. I have bought many items direct from yourselves which have been fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars No use., 2 Nov 2013
This cheap but useless piece of equipment is best left well alone. Reverse polarity issues mean it is more likely to drain your battery completely, not charge it. Steer clear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Damaged, 21 Sep 2013
on opening the box the glass was cracked. I tried it out and I thought that it was working. after a couple of days the blue light did not appear!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars solar charger, 17 Sep 2013
has been connected to my vehicle with a permanent feed and has not charged up battery, in sunny conditions and overcast. very poor item

1.0 out of 5 stars A Feeble Product, 29 Aug 2012
This product works well enough, but it's only capable of retaining charge for very small items. I was trying to use it to keep a reluctant Rover 75 charged up, but it was quite incapable of maintaining the battery on this rather large vehicle. It certainly isn't "ideal for cars, caravans, tents & boats" unless those recipients have very small battery requirements.

1.0 out of 5 stars solar powered flashing light, 10 Aug 2010
The package arrived promptly the small led flashes fine but all it appears to do is drain the battery. Hoped this would be the answer to an little used battery. I will look for another one

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great., 3 Aug 2014
M. Hart "Margaret" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
It worked for about 8 weeks then died. Not great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug 2014
Maintains my battery on my 7 type car all winter

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat, but socket not weatherproof, 15 April 2013
Lesley Woodward (Azores, Portugal) - See all my reviews
The unit itself is very neat and seems to function well. However, the socket is not waterproof, so the plug has rusted up (in the first week of use), which means I need to clean it to get a good connection and then add some waterproofing grease to stop water getting down inside. It is advertised as weather proof, so I think this is a failing. If the socket was on the underneath or side, instead of on top, it would be better.
Update, 5 months later - the light finally stopped working, due to that poor connection. Had to make a new connection with a block connector - not pretty and, because of that, it no longer closes into the neat "briefcase" for carrying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug 2014
It was fitted 2months ago and is working well.

‹ Previous | 118 19 2023 | Next ›