4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
Amazing that such a crapfest that was the first D&D movie should have a sequel that surpasses it in every way!

Good acting, solid D&D plot and nice digital effects.

Published on 3 Jun 2008 by Mr. T. R. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than people make out.
The story is better than the first one, the acting isnt that bad at all, the special effects although basic in parts are quite good really when looking at other lower budget movies, give this a chance if you liked the first one you will enjoy this more, as it has a more Dungeons and Dragons feel. It may nor be perfect but its worth a watch.
Published on 1 Feb 2010 by Jack Raine

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than people make out., 1 Feb 2010
Jack Raine (Co Durham. UK.) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Jun 2008

Good acting, solid D&D plot and nice digital effects.

I too was highly dubious about buying this after the utter crud of the first film but it exceeded all expectations. I don't even mean that this film is only good because it's better than the rubbish first, it's actually a GOOD fantasy film.

I'm writing this at 22.30 after just finishing the film and I'm a 41 yr old married family man, not a D&D teenage-fanatic! (Ok I used to be one....ok I still play occasionally...)

Anyway....

Don't be put off by the first film, give this one a try. I PROMISE you will be happy with your purchase :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dungeons and Dragons. What else needs to be said. :), 6 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
First I must start with I did enjoy watching the first one. Knowing Solomon's time and money constraints. Well done. Now onto the new movie. Of course the direction, sets and acting is much better. But I am sure so was the budget. The characters were well cast. It is a shame that Mr. Solomon did not participate in some way though.

I loved watching how when you watched this movie I could relate to some of the charcaters you have played. The magic is well done as are the monsters. If you will excuse the term, this movie is much more realistic then the first one. You will watch as the standard five member party negotiate traps, fight monsters and use magic to get out of trouble.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath Of The Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
This isn't as bad as most of the other reviewers say it is... It is WAY better than the first Dungeons and Dragons movie..

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard D&D, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath Of The Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
More true to the technicalities of D&D, but maybe less true to the spirit of D&D than the first in the series. Not much character development, somewhat cliche story, more emphasis on only the good and evil alignments. Maybe more special effects, recommended for the more geeky crowd.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for debate..., 7 Jan 2009
Mr. G. J. Scott "Rakku" (Egham, UK) - See all my reviews
I'll keep this pretty short... this film was a little better than the first, and perhaps if you're really into D&D you might really get into it. I however thought it was pretty uninspiring to watch. The special effects were shaky at best.

It didn't seem very deep at all; I didn't really enjoy the story. I'm really in to films and books of this genre, but if this film is/was a book I could only see me using it as an emergency toilet roll.

COME ON GUYS... D&D is a great Universe, and still we're waiting for it to be great on the big screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Dec 2008
N. Crutchley (UK) - See all my reviews
I never thought I would watch a D&D game with my mother and hear her day, that film was FANTASTIC!

It really took me back. It is so true to the character of D&D. I found myself jumping up saying, when I was 18, I had one of those rings Mom! Then, proudly, I name every single monster. I won't spoil anything, but a cursory knowledge of the monster manual would have you doing the same.

I want more of these titles. Low budget - maybe a bit, but the monsters were great and the traps kepts you on the edge of you seat.

Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hi, I'm Bruce Payne!.......You may remember me from movies such as Dungeons & Dragons and Passenger 57...!, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath Of The Dragon [DVD] (DVD)
It is a Thousand Years before Lord Profian's curse upon his hapless acolyte Damodar finally expires, allowing Damodar (Bruce Payne) to emerge from the purgatory of hell to claw his way back into the land of the living. Even if he is the living dead, Damodar is still intent on the downfall of Ishmir and the enslavement of it's citizens. The opening titles of this straight-to-DVD belated sequel to the original D & D movie is narrated by Bruce Payne, bringing the remainder of the audience for that picture up to date as to exactly what's been happening since Justin Whalin and Marlon Wayans saved the day.

Seizing control of a powerful dark orb, Damodar plans to awaken a terrifying dark dragon to accomplish his task. Upon fatally learning of his plans, a female Mage Melora (Clemency Burton-Hill) brings the pending crisis to the attention of Ishmir's Council of mages, whom hastily assemble a rag-tag group of soldiers and cavaliers to recover the orb and use it to defend the town from the onslaught.
I was not optimistic when I purchased this DVD that I would receive anything other than a passable B-Movie picture with delusions of grandeur. But I was pleasantly surprised at just how accomplished this picture is. After a very clear and well-informed opening, the principle characters assemble in short order and display considerable acting chops as they establish their characters and begin their quest. The lead actor Mark Dymond (as the Warrior Berek) is especially good and is obviously very talented, taking the opportunity this lead part gives him, lending the role a depth and level of concentration that was both unnecessary and completely unexpected. Bruce Payne is also good value, and gives his role of Damodar a level of vulnerability that was not present in the first movie, as his evil resurrected villain is now very much a man. A man that can be seemingly badly injured and indeed killed should he be caught unawares. This reality makes for interesting viewing as the henchmen employed by Damodar refuse to simply do his evil bidding, and often make deals with him in return for carrying out his orders.

The plot and story are of course very straight forward and this film becomes a low-budget Lord of the Rings by the numbers, but this does not damage the film at all. All fantasy pictures can be traced back to Tolkien so this does not really qualify as a criticism. The characters are very well played and very well scripted as they go about fighting forest tribesman and solving puzzles. Meanwhile the trance-infected Melora fights a corruption instilled in her by Damodar, whilst struggling to support the efforts of the Head of the Council of Mages known as Oberon (British Stalwart Roy Marsden) in the defence of Ishmir. Needless to say the group of brave misfits are successful in their mission, but not before some genuinely surprising scenes of puzzle solving, teleportation and some fine action. The Dragon special effects however are noticeably cheap and only a little bit more `special' than, say, the TV effects from ITV's Knightmare from yesteryear. But this does not matter if you still possess a youthful suspension of disbelief in these cynical times. This movie was very uplifting and I am very happy I bought the DVD. Director Gerry Lively obviously has a future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Give it a miss or find something else mindless to do., 15 Sep 2014
Arturian (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
Pedestrian. Good effects, decent storyline, crediable characters but the dialogue, pace and general feel was definitely lack lustre. There were far too many 'epic' speeches followed by riding/teleporting off to do the deed or standing back to watch the next special effect. The baddie was a bit wet too and you know how it is; weak baddie = no real threat = unconvincing goodies.So why did I watch it to the end? I was looking for something mindless to do, I guess and found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars D&D come to life..., 14 Mar 2006
I was slightly dubious about this release. Post lord of the rings I wondered if anything would ever compare... However - this film (more so than the first D&D film) had one thing the LOTR trilogy didn't have... it was D&D through & through...
The acting is great, the special effects fantastic & the storyline was typically D&D... They have iconic charater classes too... A Human Fighter, Human Mage (who later duals as a Cleric), a Human Cleric of Obad-hai, an Elven Mage, a Human Barbarian & a Human Thief... together the band is set.
The film, whilst enjoyable in itself for non D&D fans, really shines if you know the rule set... It has it all there... down to spell components & somatic hand gestures & subtle integration of skills & feats. There are gust of wind spells, barbarian rages - I had great fun!!! And the more you watch it, the more things you pick out! As a big fan of the mage class - I can honestly say both mages were amazing!!! It made me want to get out my rulebooks & start playing!!!
Don't miss the extras either as they have nice touches (like character sheets for the main players!)... Seriously - if you're a D&D fan - you want this film!!! (Just make sure you can play Region 1 DVDs!)

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath Of The Dragon [DVD]