4.0 out of 5 stars Dungeons and Dragons. What else needs to be said. :)
First I must start with I did enjoy watching the first one. Knowing Solomon's time and money constraints. Well done. Now onto the new movie. Of course the direction, sets and acting is much better. But I am sure so was the budget. The characters were well cast. It is a shame that Mr. Solomon did not participate in some way though.

I loved watching how when you...
Published on 6 Oct. 2007 by M. A. Ramos

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than people make out.
The story is better than the first one, the acting isnt that bad at all, the special effects although basic in parts are quite good really when looking at other lower budget movies, give this a chance if you liked the first one you will enjoy this more, as it has a more Dungeons and Dragons feel. It may nor be perfect but its worth a watch.
Published on 1 Feb. 2010 by Jack Raine

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than people make out., 1 Feb. 2010
Jack Raine (Co Durham. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God [DVD] (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dungeons and Dragons. What else needs to be said. :), 6 Oct. 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews

I loved watching how when you watched this movie I could relate to some of the charcaters you have played. The magic is well done as are the monsters. If you will excuse the term, this movie is much more realistic then the first one. You will watch as the standard five member party negotiate traps, fight monsters and use magic to get out of trouble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Jun. 2008
Amazing that such a crapfest that was the first D&D movie should have a sequel that surpasses it in every way!

Good acting, solid D&D plot and nice digital effects.

I too was highly dubious about buying this after the utter crud of the first film but it exceeded all expectations. I don't even mean that this film is only good because it's better than the rubbish first, it's actually a GOOD fantasy film.

I'm writing this at 22.30 after just finishing the film and I'm a 41 yr old married family man, not a D&D teenage-fanatic! (Ok I used to be one....ok I still play occasionally...)

Anyway....

Don't be put off by the first film, give this one a try. I PROMISE you will be happy with your purchase :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A D&D Movie, 31 Aug. 2013
Raven tales (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God [DVD] (DVD)
I watched the original D&D movie with a grimace and haven't watched it since. So when I saw that this movie on tv, I debated whether to switch it off, instead I watched it and was pleasantly surprised. It was a D&D movie, it had clerics and divine magic, something which was ignored by the first film. It had mages and a decent adventuring party. There were dungeon hacks and fights with creatures from the actual books. The acting wasn't grating and the cast clearly threw themselves into the plot with gusto.

The special effects aren't A class but they aren't puppets either. There are no huge continuity errors and the plot was fast paced, fun and contrary to some opinion exactly the same as a standard D&D adventure: Bunch of heroes sent to find orb so that town can be saved from evil, basic d&d plottage. Enjoyable for both D&D fans and those who aren't.

I thought it a much better film than the first (even if the first film had Jeremy Irons) It felt like a D&D movie and that the writers had been gamers (checking out the extras - they are)The cast read the books and actually put some effort in. Enjoy it, just don't expect wonderful special effects and A class acting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first film but still not brilliant, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God [DVD] (DVD)
While I enjoyed the first Dungeons and Dragons film simply because it gave me my wishlist of fantasy tropes in a film form, as a film, it was little shoddy with some poor acting, writing and special effects. This sequel is a definite improvement in all those ways. The acting is better and the special effects are, in places, very impressive. I think the script still is a little weak and the actors suffer from speaking their lines in a hammy 'epic' style. But, overall, I cringe a lot less!

If you're a fan of fantasy and you can put up with some flaws then you will enjoy this film as entertainment. It's not that deep though! If you're a hardcore fan of D+D then you might not like it as much because everyone will have their own personal experience of the game and the film might not match it. Actually, the film is very similar in feel to game Baldur's Gate but not as sophisticated or funny. So if you liked that game, based on D+D rules, you might find Wrath of the Dragon God interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll d20, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God [DVD] (DVD)
Dungeons and Dragons was a love of mine during school (even if I wasn't the most successful campaigner) and I later got to play again as one of an older group. I always loved the idea and the wide variety within the game structure. For this reason I did enjoy this movie as there was quite a bit of homage to the game and it's design (or why call it D&D in the title!) The action was well shot even if the effects were not up to today's standards - it was over five years ago this was made. The various actors were very good within their roles but it would have been nicer to see more of the interaction between them even if the film were longer for it, as the occasional conflicts and bickering were quite enjoyable. The plot was a typical good v evil of most fantasy adventures but again the plot was played out well and the story didn't sag for me at any point. On the whole a good film and an enjoyable 100minutes .

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard D&D, 5 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God [DVD] (DVD)
More true to the technicalities of D&D, but maybe less true to the spirit of D&D than the first in the series. Not much character development, somewhat cliche story, more emphasis on only the good and evil alignments. Maybe more special effects, recommended for the more geeky crowd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad script, bad acting = bad movie. OK FX (Blu Ray), 27 Sept. 2010
I will never buy another "good" or "OK" D&D movie again. Apparently it will have to be spectacular to be worth watching.
The only thing carrying this movie is the premise of "dragon screen time". As usual there is not enough to save the movie.
I want my 1½ hours of life back. Enough said about the movie itself.

SUBS: This blu ray release has no subs

Picture quality: Good.

Special FX: Fair to good. Some cheese also.

Recommendation: For devoted D&D fans ONLY or English speaking kids younger than 10. Anyone else: AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

3.0 out of 5 stars One for debate..., 7 Jan. 2009
Mr. G. J. Scott "Rakku" (Egham, UK) - See all my reviews
I'll keep this pretty short... this film was a little better than the first, and perhaps if you're really into D&D you might really get into it. I however thought it was pretty uninspiring to watch. The special effects were shaky at best.

It didn't seem very deep at all; I didn't really enjoy the story. I'm really in to films and books of this genre, but if this film is/was a book I could only see me using it as an emergency toilet roll.

COME ON GUYS... D&D is a great Universe, and still we're waiting for it to be great on the big screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Dec. 2008
N. Crutchley (UK) - See all my reviews
I never thought I would watch a D&D game with my mother and hear her day, that film was FANTASTIC!

It really took me back. It is so true to the character of D&D. I found myself jumping up saying, when I was 18, I had one of those rings Mom! Then, proudly, I name every single monster. I won't spoil anything, but a cursory knowledge of the monster manual would have you doing the same.

I want more of these titles. Low budget - maybe a bit, but the monsters were great and the traps kepts you on the edge of you seat.

Buy it!