4.0 out of 5 stars One To Remember
'Memento Mori' is Flyleaf's second album.
Their eponymously titled 2007 debut was a fine
piece of work saturated with good dark energy
and given solid earthly form by their energetic
and wholly credible singer Lacey Mosely.
It was a raw, rough and ready affair which
pointed to a bright future.

The future is now and their new...
Published on 11 Nov 2009 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting away with it
I thought the first album was fantastic but short so when I saw the track count on this, I was hoping my issue had been addressed. Not quite...

Memento Mori, really is an album of two halves. The first is fantastic, carrying on where they'd left off with the first album. The second half is a bunch of tracks that are there to make up the numbers with a...
Published on 20 Feb 2010 by The usual suspect

4.0 out of 5 stars One To Remember, 11 Nov 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
'Memento Mori' is Flyleaf's second album.
Their eponymously titled 2007 debut was a fine
piece of work saturated with good dark energy
and given solid earthly form by their energetic
and wholly credible singer Lacey Mosely.
It was a raw, rough and ready affair which
pointed to a bright future.

The future is now and their new collection of
fourteen songs and a brief sonic interlude is
an even more accomplished affair.
The electricity is still there but the band's
sound has a more highly polished finish thanks
to Howard Benson's notable production skills.

There are some good tunes here and Ms Mosely
sings them well. The dual guitars of Messrs
Bhattacharya and Hartmann, the bass of Mr Seals
and, in particular the fine drumming of Mr Culpepper
give her a solid platform upon which to shine.

Standout tracks would have to include 'Missing'
and 'This Close' which both manage to combine
infectiously edgy riffs with rousing choruses.
The chiming chords and echoing vocal harmonies
of the latter are particularly affecting.

'Swept Away' is a dense and angular composition bristling
with howling feedback and clattering percussion.
The musical box ending is a haunting idea.

'Treasure' gives Ms Mosely the chance to exploit the
full range of her not insignificant vocal skills.
From a well-controlled fragile vibrato to full-throttle
larynx-rattling top notes she is never less than in full
command of her instrument. A cracking performance.

'Uncle Bobby' delivers a sinister and emotional conclusion.

For those, like myself, who were bitterly disappointed
with Paramore's recent release 'Brand New Eyes' Flyleaf
offer a stimulating and worthy alternative.

'Memento Mori' deserves to be remembered.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Operatic, Biblical and Apocalyptic, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
Flyleaf are a curious band - originating from Texas with a distinctly grunge-metal feel yet held together by a thin-voiced ex-drug addict singer who laces an indisputable pop vibe to their sound. Their debut self-titled album certainly got me talking - short, punchy songs with raw, screaming vocals and a running theme of real-life stories tying the album together. There was no denying their Christian influences, but what has always been impressive about Flyleaf is their ability to take a story with links to their faith and make it applicable to anything in life. Telling the stories of other people's, and their own, tragedies was expertly done but in a way that still sounded as raw and intense as they no doubt wanted it to seem. They were a metal band with a message.
Their second album was widely anticipated by their fanbase, mostly because of the wait they had had to endure - but let me tell you, it does not dissapoint. Most critics repeatedly talk of bands' "sophomore slumps", pinpointing the second album as the most difficult, and perhaps that is why they took so long making it. Each song has a definite place here and each song is as epic (actually, even more epic) than the songs on their last album.
What strikes most about this album is its huge feel - it feels like the world is ending during the recording of some of these songs. It is truly a biblical sensation, and although a lot of that does come from Christian-driven lyrics that lead singer Lacey Mosley writes these songs could just as easily entail a modern day fable. This album is a concept album to much greater effect than Green Day's last effort "21st Century Breakdown", which had no tangible themes and little recurrance throughout, and it's not even noticable whether it was intentional.
Firstly the title of the album itself, reminding to be aware of your mortality, is something that immediately adds a sinister feel to this album. Then there's the crashing army of guitars plowing down through Drop-D tunings with pinch harmonics and tremolo palm-muting, with the equally heavy crunch of the bass. Add solid drumbeats and Mosley's astonishing vocals and you're got an amazing album.
Mosley herself displays a wide variety of sounds to a once one-dimensional voice - from the screaming the fans loved on their debut, to the Texas drawl in parts of songs like Again and This Close, the quiet and thinly voiced breakdowns where she's barely whispering her lyrics and finally the huge operatic belting found in songs like the cataclysmic Circle and Arise.
The album moves through different scenarios, such as worship, disgust, love and , again, that end of the world theme. Songs like Tiny Heart, Treasure, Again, Missing and Set Apart This Dream will please the more mainstream audience they have picked up, while old school fans will be left drooling at the sheer horror of numbers like Chasm, The Kind, In The Dark, Swept Away and the 2 finale tracks to the album (Uncle Bobby being a bonus track). There is a lot to be loved about this album, and is a definite must-have for not only Flyleaf fans, but for fans of other metal-pop outfits like Evenescance and even the odd Paramore fan who isn't looking for pure pop-rock.
A definite and rare improvement from their first album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey Fellow 1960s &70s rockers! The future is in safe hands!!, 7 Nov 2010
Ghostgrey51 (Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
Like the rest of my ancient associates I just love to complain how things will not be as good as....
So it is with much joy I signal to my contemporaries `Take a Listen to Flyleaf'! This is a an album full of drive, energy, clear and impressive guitar work as well as a powerhouse of a woman vocalist comfortable with soft, angry and just plain...LOUD, add to that she sings intelligibly and...well!!.
Normally it's the convention to concentrate on the vocalist, but to be fair Flyleaf is a true band effort, behind the words are hard drivin' musicians who aren't just grinding out the tunes; they are completing and complementing the singing.
(And truth be known my colleagues, unlike our day, we have songs here which consistently make sense).
Just the sort of music to get the old blood racing, I listen frequently during my lunch break, certainly sets me up for the afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replicating the success of effort one, 31 Mar 2010
I. J. Davies "The Rock Addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
The first album was an absolute joy, but for my money had a couple of tracks that filled, in amongst sheer genius, and it became 5 stars purely for the fine Acoustics versions. This effort however flows more consistantly, and is dark haunting and poignant throughout. Stand out tracks well, really hard to say as they all have their moments when their come to the surface. the album was a 4 star for me until I saw them live and thereafter the album has been on repeat and gets status as a 5 star effort.

It is one of those rare breed of albums where theres no need to press skip !!!!

My personal favourite tracks are Again, Missing and the evocative Arise with its inspirational yet haunting refrain.

A band that desrves so much more recognition this side of the pond, and Laceys vocal is fragile, ethereal and brutal in equal measures.

Great stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I first thought, 21 Jan 2010
Paul G (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
Like some other reviewers I wasn't too impressed at first with this and thought the songs had a few new production 'gimmicks' but weren't as high quality songs as the previous album. But after a lot more listens I've really changed my mind and find myself wanting to listen to MM more than Flyleaf. I'm not religious and some of the lyrics are a little cringeworthy but that really doesn't detract imo. And Circle & Arise - what an epic way to finish. Brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping up the standard, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
This is the second Flyleaf disk I have purchased. I bought this without hearing any tracks based upon the strength of the self titled
Flyleaf album. I was not disappointed, the high standard of the first album is maintained throughout. If you are a fan of Evanescence this will be an eyeopener..same genre but tighter and in my opinion much superior

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant second album!, 27 Mar 2010
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
After a long time since the first official album stormed America and gave them gradually growing cult success in Europe, here is the second. It is not reallt too different from the first album, but that is no bad thing at all. It is just as catchy, with similar huge choruses, melodies, hooks as the first. There may not really be any tunes as huge and great as Fully Alive, All Around Me, or Cassie but a good many of the tunes are really great big stormin songs, with heavy riffs and uplifting positive lyrics once again. However they do stretch themselves musically, using different instruments, melodies, and the vocals are much more developed and used in more interesting ways.Fantastic return for a special heavy band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 16 Jan 2010
Gemma Calvert - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I bought this album shortly after it was released, as I had heard of them previously and heard some of their old songs, so I was eager to hear more of them and see if they'd improved etc. Memento Mori is an awesome album and I'd definitely recommend it to people that are fans of Paramore or Versaemerge. My favourite song from the album is most probably "This Close" people can relate to the song quite a bit I'd say. Also "Beautiful Bride" and "Again" are also great songs and I think they've chosen the best songs to make into videos from the album first.

Well done Flyleaf and keep up the good work! I hope to hear more from you!

Gemma C

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.!, 26 Jan 2010
C. Phillips - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I have to admit I have only just heard about flyleaf but this album is awesome!I am a huge fan of paramore and although flyleaf are very similar, the tone in Lacey' voice is very unique and I love it. My favourite songs from this album are 'so close' and 'missing' which are abit slower and show off her voice alot which is why i love these but then I also love 'Swept away' as it is abit faster and has some beautiful lyrics. This album is a serious hit and I am going to listen to their previous album too!! Try and catchup up with their music :) They are incredible and I am hoping they tour very soon!
Natasha P

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCKIN, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I love flyleaf but I always download their songs from iTunes so it was nice buying myself one of their CD's - its been in my car ever since I would definitely buy this for anyone who is a fan of the band! great songs, quality & price - what else do you need?

Memento Mori