on 23 December 2011
I am a devotee of Kindle and also want to learn a bit about calculus from total ignorance and this book seemed to fit the bill exactly - and it probably does. The problem is that the printing on drawn examples is almost impossible to read on my Kindle screen; lines and vectors labelled 'a' and 'b' cannot be identified because the label itself is incomplete on the screen as is the 'infinity' at either of the numberline.

The book itself seems interesting enough and to fulfil my requirements. I have ordered a 'hard' copy to continue reading without resort to a magnifying glass!
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2012
This book doesn't claim to be particularly rigorous or authoritative on the subject of calculus. Neither is it the only book you need to acquire deep expertise on the subject; for the sake of brevity it omits comprehensive practice questions. What it is is an original, practical and very concise explanation of the mathematical building blocks you need to understand in order to wrap your head around some of the more advanced concepts of algebra. I actually enjoyed reading it, which is quite rare for a subject that often inspires fear and loathing in equal measure.

For the current princely sum of £1.53 for the Kindle edition, it is an absolute steal. Very highly recommended.
on 1 December 2011
I am not a mathematician so one might argue the book is written for me (or people like myself). It is usual for a book to have some publishing pedigree, but this book is a self-published item through an offspring of Amazon (I understand). Sadly there is absolutely no contact information available for either the author or publisher (a visit to CreateSpace > contacts has no means of contacting the author or publisher).

In one respect I salute John Weiss for publishing his book. But also reserve equal measure disappointment as errors may not be notified.

I am confident that at least one error is present. Page 46 Eq 2.2.1 is unsatisfactory. Weiss uses tau so I shall use t. P(t) runs from at^0 + bt^1 + ct^2 + ... + zt^n so n must equal 25.
But Q(t) runs from dt^0 + et^1 + ft^2 + ... + zt^n, however n in this case can only equal 22.

So P(t) + Q(t) cannot conclude as ... + (z+w)t^n. It must be ... + (w + z)t^22 + xt^23 + yt^24 + zt^25.

To be positive - the book is encouraging to the feint-hearted.

Don't be put off buying the book. I just have deep unease when it is not possible to report errors, bugs or similar questions with an author and publisher who leave no means of contact. It's just not professional, in my opinion.
on 7 October 2013
Starts of with rather basic maths and slowly gets to the nitty gritty.
However it is well written and easy to follow, maybe teachers of maths should give it a read as I am sure it would help them putting across the subject I.e. the method of solving some equations were slightly different from what I was taught at school and found the author to use a more step by step approach than is normally found, very useful to beginners of maths
on 9 September 2013
i want to thank the author with all my heart for writing this book; it's so well explained and has hugely enriched my understanding of mathematics. i can't recommend it highly enough.
on 29 April 2013
I learned stuff from this book. Which , for a text book, is mission complete.
The author is a natural teacher and I would buy anything else he wrote on mathematics.
on 16 December 2013
I wish I had come across this book when I was at school trying to make sense of calculus the hard way!
on 11 August 2014
really good book to get to grips with a student nightmare. Have recommended it to students I teach.
on 20 November 2014
I used to know this, but not now, made my brain hurt!.
on 15 January 2015