Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 December 2009
After watching Andre on The Royal Variety Show I was hooked and I am ashamed to admit I had not heared of him until then.I immediately sent for the this double DVD/CD, I can honestly say I was not dissapointed. My husband and I sat enthralled as Andre and his Orchestra took us through many well known pieces and some not so well known. His audience and his orchestra clearly had a wonderful time, as did we. We would now dearly love to actually go to one of his concerts. I think the comments made by Mr Yeloff are a little unfair. Andre make beautiful classical music accessible to the masses. I would recommend this DVD to all lovers of beautiful music.
VINE VOICEon 30 December 2009
I saw Andre being interviewed on BBC Breakfast over the Christmas holiday and I couldn't wait to go out and buy his album! I have a passion for anything Strauss and I confess that The Blue Danube by Strauss is one of my all time favourite pieces and never fails to motivate me. Andre Rieu's version is just amazing, passionate and enchanting.

The whole album is gorgeous, filled with uplifting music. Even if you're not a big fan of classical, buy this album, its a CD to cure those winter blues and better than an anti-depressant! Andre you are a brilliant, well done!

PS: It comes with disc two which is a DVD of a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London - magnificent!
55 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2010
The CD and DVD are great the whole orchestra on the DVD seem to be enjoying it as much as the audience it was recorded live at The Royal Albert Hall,and Andre adds a little humour to the event. Would recomend it to anyone who likes this sort of music. This is my first Andre Rieu CD and DVD it will not be the last can't wait to go see him live. Buy it NOW!
on 17 December 2009
Please do not be put off by biased, narrow-minded criticism of Andre Rieu's music by members of the "establishment" There should be room in music for all tastes and while I myself occasionally enjoy traditional classical music by established orchestras that doesn't mean to say that no-one else has a right to listen to whatever music they wish. Strauss himself played what at the time was popular music for the masses and while I can understand (and would defend) the wish of the "classic purists" for each note to be lovingly preserved, others have a right to disagree. Also is it so bad for the members of the orchestra to be seen to be enjoying their performance rather than sitting like black and white zombies?

I am unashamedly an Andre Rieu fan and very much look forward to the day when he and his orchestra perform at venues around the UK as they do in Europe and the rest of the world.
1212 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2010
I had never heard of Andre Rieu until over the Christmas period when the adverts for this product were on telly constantly, or so it seemed! So, for probably the first time ever, I gave into the barrage of adverts and brought this item.

I am a huge classical music fan but don't enjoy many violin players as I find, unless they are excellent players bordering on genius, they make it almost a form of torture. This cannot be said for Andre Rieu whose playing is absolutely first class!

Whilst I can see that people wouldn't like the saccharine sweet make up of the DVD; with the ladies of the orchestra dressed in their finery and over-the-top scenes, coupled with the frequent displays of arrogance that Andre seems to display (these are surely him enjoying the music and the 'performance' of it), I personally enjoyed it. The operatic feel of this DVD was just want I needed to perk me up during these dull and dreary wintry days; and I thoroughly enjoyed the show as a whole.

Highly recommend (even if you turn off the screen and simply listen to the music on its own, I am sure that you will come to the same conclusion I did - that Andre is a fantastic violin player).
on 1 January 2010
This CD/DVD arrived on 31 December and made my New Year's Eve extremely enjoyable. The DVD provided entertainment - unlike the items available on TV. Seeing the orchestra and audience really enjoying themselves was wonderful. I sincerely hope this wonderful group of people continue for a long time and, if possible, do more touring round the UK - may be in Liverpool perhaps?
What can one say? This is a perfect cd and dvd for all. Andre Rieu is presently bigger than U2; the Dutch violinist and conductor gives us here what we all like. With the 17 track cd you have some absolute greats, including one of my all time favourite pieces of music 'The Blue Danube'.

If that wasn't enough you also have a fantastic dvd, a whole concert that was performed at the Royal Albert Hall. The dvd has 19 tracks including, once again 'The Blue Danube', and the brilliant 'Salome Sabredance'. With the orchestra dancing and singing it looks like they had as much as a ball as the audience, and you will have watching this. With the 'Glen Miller Melody' and 'The Andre Sisters' (a rendition of the Andrew Sisters) we are given some great swing here. And of course with 'Hava Nagila' and 'Sirtaki (Zorba's Dance)' you will just have to tap your toes. This isn't just a concert but a great piece of showmanship.

With the Johann Strauss Orchestra playing away to their hearts content the whole musical experience sounds absoltuely faultless and effortless. My musical tastes are quite eccletic, but as anyone who loves music knows, you just can't beat the good old classical stuff for enjoyment and relaxation. A must have for any music loving family.
on 17 December 2009
I saw Andre Rieu on the Royal Variety performance last night and thought he was absolutely amazing!!!

I'm not a classical music fan but Andre's performance last night really made want to listen to more and I can't wait for the album as it seems like the perfect introduction.

He has such charisma and really made the music come alive. I'm not sure why Mr Yeloff would have such strong objections to an album that hasn't been released yet but looking at his other reviews he never gives anything more than one star so he is obviously a very hard man to please.

Maybe he needs to allow a little more of the spirit of Andre Rieu into his life to cheer him up!
1414 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2009
Just genius! I've just changed Christmas day to the 28th December. I can't wait to get my hands on this album!
on 15 February 2010
I am reviewing a product that I have not actually bought as I have been a fan of Andre's for many years and already have the DVD and tunes on other Andre CDs. Andre's shows are pure magic. The Albert Hall concert was first shown on German TV just after millenium began and was one of the first of many spectacular concerts. With regard to the early one star revue by Mr Yeloff. He must be avery serious person who seems to forget that most classicul music started life as the pop music of its day. The Strauss family were all showmen and the 19th century concerts would be very similar to a modern day Andre concert but without the electronics of course. Many classical concerts are feats of endurance rather than a time of enjoyment. Andre can and does play more serious pieces, and plays them well. Somebody said that there is only two types of music: Good and Bad. That surely applies to all music pop or classic. Andre's style may not please everybody, but
he has succeeded in introducing the delights of Classical music and Operetta to millions of people of all ages throughout thr world. Forever Vienna together with the bonus DVD is fantastic value. Even if you bon't think that you like classical music, you may well change your mind after buying the set.