5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically gripping
Published 20 months ago by em

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous books!
Published on 18 Mar. 2009 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous books!, 18 Mar. 2009
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
After reading previous MH books, I would go as far as to say she was a lot better than Martina Cole and each of her books I have loved. However after reading this new book I am unsure what to say about it. The story is of Sue and Terry Day, an estranged couple whos youngest child has been caught in a fire in Sue's home and their elder daughter has subsequently gone missing. The husband Terry has run off with a younger lover Leanne, and when Sue gets involved with Leannes father Dave, things go terribly wrong. Although the writing was good and I enjoyed the book, I thought it lacked substance and the ending felt slightly rushed. I'm hoping this is just a blip in her career and the book is a "bump in the road" in her otherwise flawless writing and I will wait to read her next book before deciding if she is worth reading again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was this written in the 80's?, 6 July 2009
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
I have read all Mandasue's books and while I consider The Charmer her most boring book, Snatched wasn't much better. I'm not saying I hated it but it was so un-realistic and slow.
My first complaint would be the dialogue, especially the slang and when the characters were arguing. Frankly it was embarassing and at times humourous. Sue's friend Julie's chatter is like that of a 5yr old. And her slang when they are in the pub when she calls Sue's love interest 'Sir Dwayne of Dweebdom' is cringe-worthy!
Heller's attempt at teenage arguements is so corny and 1980's.
I am unsure whether Heller wanted the reader to Love, hate or feel sorry foe Sue Day but personally I couldn't stand the character. The woman had no interest in finding out what happened to her daughter and had basically written her off, too busy starting a relationship with the first guy to show any interest in her. Her treatment of Connor made for uncomfortable reading.
Terry Day's relationship with Leanne wasn't believable and frankly annoying and the 'fun day' arranged for Sue went on for so long it became mind-numbing.
Heller's best books were her first three and to be honest the rest have not been in their league.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 May 2009
L. Wilson "Lollie" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
Have read all of Mandasues books and this is the worse almost as though she is on the same road as Martina and has lost her spark - was such a shame as was so looking forward to this - a very easy read - ok for a holiday read but would recommend Billy Jo, Sadie, Kaitlin or Fallen Angel by other authors as these are excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically gripping, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Snatched (Kindle Edition)
I was gripped from the first page, Mandasue really is a great writer, I've read all her books now, and don't know what I'm going to do without another gripping read in my hands.I just hope she writes another one, there's twists and turns that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Would recommend to anyone who likes a gripping thriller.Thank you Mandasue Heller it's been a privilege to read your books.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as her other novels, 13 July 2009
D. Barhan "dawn" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
really disappointed I have read all her other novels and was surprised at how early I knew who the baddie was... and how obvious the whole plot was... there were details that were quite right either, very little reference to the missing girl by her mother and the whole thing just didnt seem right.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracking read....., 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Snatched (Kindle Edition)
I just loved this book. There was so much going on in it, with twists and turns all the way. I liked the way it took nearly three quarters of the way through the book until you found out what happened to Nicky.....really, really good.

I enjoy reading Martina Cole and Kimberley Chambers, and now I can add Mandasue Heller to my list of favourite authors. I would recommend this to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic read!, 2 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
This is the first of MH's books I have read and I have to say I will definitely be going back for more. Not always been a big reader as I need to be captured right from the start, and many books do take time to draw me in. Not with this one though.....from the first page right to the last I was gripped. Only thing I couldnt understand was the geography of this, most of it situated in council estate in Manchester and then Dave Miller's house seems to be not too far away in the country and one minute it was a long way for Sue Day to be going out of Manchester and the next minute she is back doing shopping and back on the estate. Didnt seem to add up. Other than that highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars what about Nicky, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Snatched (Kindle Edition)
This book was good but not the best. I have read most of This authors books but this one was furthest from reality as Nicky was or should have been a main concern. This one I would give 2.5 out of 10.

1.0 out of 5 stars indifferent story, truly bad writing, 25 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Snatched (Paperback)
I came to this not really expecting a good read, as Martina Cole has consistently let me down and I was not disappointed. Ms Heller needs a good writing course and a decent editor. As a writer and editor myself, I see the glaring errors in books and this has more than most.
1. Constant switching of viewpoint without signalling it in advance.
2. Distorted sentences that need turning around to be properly grammatical.
3. Way too many dangling participles, the writing that says things like 'putting on her coat she lit a cigarette' which Ms Heller does all the time and it drives me insane. The word 'after' would help. Check it out. In one page she does it countless times.

The story does not stand up either. The characters are all stereotypes, the policewomen are unconvincing and the others just typical of their place. A la Martina Cole, set them on an estate and let the reader work out they are chavs.
To be honest, I will not bother with Ms Heller again. Not even if she takes the writing course and gets a decent editor.

4.0 out of 5 stars crime, drama betrayal, fab!, 24 July 2013
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snatched (Kindle Edition)
I love when I your having a readers block and you need something to get you over it, Mandasue Heller does that for me (so far every time). The book kick starts with 15 year old Nicky running from bullies and then the first hit. We flip to her mum and friend wanting to get out for the night and her 6 year old younger brother being left alone. Her mum Sue knows Nicky is reliable and will be home soon and gives in to her friend for a night on the town. A fire starts, Nicky is missing, her brother in a hospital bed, her mother is MIA and her father is at the hospital looking for answers and his estranged wife.

There is drama in this story from the get go, you quickly get the insight of poor Nicky's life. Looking after her brother whilst mum copes with dads desertion for a younger girl, gossip around the scheme, everyone fighting, bullies, there is always something on the go. After the fire, Sue has a lot of explaining to do, Connor (the little brother) is petrified the truth with come out about the fire and is worried about his sister. Sue has her hands full with no home, Connor's after effects from the fire and a known face taking interest in her and the possible repercussions from that.

Nicky is at the start of the story and then always in the background as in where is she, what happened but you don't find out til later what the score is with that which I found a tad annoying as I like to know what is happening. There is a lot happening throughout, family arguments, lies, secrets and betrayal. The chapters are fairly short which results in just one more before bed, next thing you know it is 1am as you can't put it down. Council estate crime and drama, you really can't beat it, 4/5 for me.

Snatched