4.0 out of 5 stars My Sister's Keeper revisited
I am a great fan of Jodi Picoult, I've read 8 of her books - and therein lies the problem - she is starting to become very formulaic. Handle With Care is very reminiscent of My Sister's Keeper, with brittle bone disease in place of leukemia.

Published on 22 Mar 2009 by DubaiReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle with Care
Published on 10 Jan 2010 by Bojangles

3.0 out of 5 stars Handle with Care, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
I really like Picoult because they're quite thought provoking books. However, the last few I've read, including this one, are all getting a bit similar. The stories all seem to follow the same basic structure and are becoming a little bit predictable. When I was reading Handle with Care, it did remind me far too much of My sisters Keeper. I also thought the ending of this book was a bit odd and I actually found myself annoyed by it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginning to get a bit the same, 7 Mar 2010
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
I've read a lot of Ms Picoult's work and generally enjoy it - though it has been a bit hit and miss over the years.
I just found that I was reading a mash up of her other stories here really, particularly My sister's keeper. The characters were all very similar - with the well meaning but left out sister, sick kid, dad who seems like superman but is generally down trodden and over bearing mother. It's all a bit 'yeah been there, done that'.
It's generally okay, alright story, okay characters, interesting focus on a disease that's fairly rare. Worth a read if you're an avid Picoult fan - but otherwise I'd go for one of her other works such as Nineteen minutes (I've read it twice) or Perfect Match.

Also, the last chapter, particularly the last two-ish pages of this book were some of the most irritating I've read in a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Sister's Keeper revisited, 22 Mar 2009
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Handle with Care (Hardcover)

Willow (what a wonderful name!) is born with OI - Osteogenesis imperfecta. Before birth seven bones have broken and healed, by the time she's five, she's suffered over 50 breaks. Her whole life is centred around avoiding danger, where a small slip may result in a hospital visit. Her older sister, Amelia, loves her dearly but also feels very ostracised by the effects of the disease and the time her parents must spend with Willow.
Income is tight, Willow's Dad is a police officer and her Mum was once a pastry chef. The disease is financially crippling, for special wheelchairs, physiotherapy not covered by insurance etc. So when Charlotte discovers that she can sue her obstetrician (who also happens to be her best friend) for not informing her about Willow's condition with enough time to abort, she sees it as a solution to their financial problems; allowing Willow the necessary support and equipment that they are struggling to fund.
This causes all sorts of stresses within the family, interactions that are beautifully covered by the author. To my mind, this is where Jodi Picoult excells. She's also brilliant with the reality of living with disability and the effects it has on a family.

I didn't think the spasmodic recipies served much purpose, while obviously intended to have a double meaning, they seemed a bit unnecessary.

While I still admire Picoult's depiction of sibling interactions and parental heart searching, I am tiring of the ubiquitous court case and the story line is starting to feel very familiar. She is a wonderful writer but needs to find a fresh angle surprise us again.

4.0 out of 5 stars but don't read the last two pages . . ., 9 Feb 2010
M. C. Hall "Alfa Max" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
As always, brilliantly written and researched, full of fabulous characters who come alive. completely let down by the last two pages a completely unnecessary twist to an otherwise great book. My recommendation is to tear out the last two pages, put thim in an envelope and selotape them to the inside cover. If you want an alternative ending when you get to the end the go ahead, break the envelope open. Otherwise, leave it at that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by how it ends, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: Handle with Care (Hardcover)
Big fan of Jodi but this book is quite similar to a couple of her previous ones. It was worth the read but I feel that the ending really let it down and made the whole story pointless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Jodi Picoult - moral dilemma meets court room drama, 18 April 2010
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
This has many of the hallmarks of a Jodi Picoult book. The plot hangs around a moral dilemma that becomes a court room drama, as several of her previous novels. In this story, the issue under consideration is the idea of "wrongful" birth. Charlotte's daughter, Willow was born with brittle bones and the case centres around whether Piper, her best friend and obstetrician should have diagnosed the condition early enough in her pregnancy to allow Charlotte to make the choice to have an abortion. Charlotte is motivated to bring the case to allow the family to meet their spiralling costs associated with looking after a special needs child, but the ensuing drama risks tearing the entire family apart.
This was an interesting and thought-provoking read which raises with some well-drawn although not altogether pleasant characters. They are ordinary people put into extraordinary circumstances and the pressure shows. If you have enjoyed other JP books, you will probably enjoy this one. I haven't read one of her books for a while, which is probably why I liked this as they are a bit "samey" particularly if you read them one after another.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
Like others who have written reviews I am a big Jodi Picoult fan and for the first time I have to say I was disappointed in one of her books. Repetition of formula and topic and plan and I found it hard to get going. The recipes were superfluous and distracting.

Because it was Jodi Picoult I persevered and the story got better but I found myself skipping lines.

Come on Jodi you are a great writer and I know I'll love another of your books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Which book am I reading???, 10 Oct 2009
Ms. St Cook - See all my reviews
This review is from: Handle with Care (Hardcover)
I made the mistake of reading this book straight after reading My Sister's Keeper, and found the overall theme and structure of the book so similar that I genuinely struggled in the first few chapters to stop myself getting muddled up with the characters - the father in both books is employed by the emergency services and there is overlooked rebelious sibling in each. Having said that, I thought it was well written and once I had managed to seperate the characters and storylines, I did enjoy it .... until the ending. Without spoiling it, all I can say is that the last couple of pages just didn't need to be written and I fail to see how and why they were. So, go ahead and read this (providing you haven't just read My Sister's Keeper!) and rip the last couple of pages out, and then this book will probably warrant 4 stars instead of 2!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Deja vu, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
Willow has OI , the brittle bone syndrome, and her family struggle to cope, stay together and make ends meet. Could suing for 'wrongful birth' be the answer or will it threaten to destroy them?

About half way through I wondered whether it was worth finishing this. I hear 'if something ain't broke, don't fix it' , but I think it is 'broke' now, this just seemed very formulaic and predictable, both the situation...done before in My Sister's Keeper and the characters too...loving family broken apart by emotional and moral dilemas.
The court case did pick it up at the end though, I didn't mind the end but the 'cheque' business was very irritating!!

She's an incredibly talented writer and I'll continue to read her new books, but hope she breaks this mould and tries something a little fresher next time

5.0 out of 5 stars Back On Form!, 19 Mar 2009
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Handle with Care (Hardcover)
'Handle With Care' is Jodi Picoult writing at her very best and returning to one of the subjects she writes about so well - sibling rivalry, mother love and how actions can destroy a family.

As in many of her other novels, she blends together the many voices that tell this story so well. Narrated and looked at through the eyes of Willow's family and people closely associated with the legal case. Catherine and Sean - Willow's parents, Amelia - her sister. Piper - Catherine's best friend and the subject of the law case and Marlin - the family lawyer, all tell their story and give their point of view.

Catherine and Sean love Willow, but the pressure and distress caused by her illness is tearing the family apart. Willow has broken over fifty bones in her short life - seven bones were broken in utero and more during her birth. In order to provide for Willow - to ensure she has the best quality of life, Catherine decides to sue her doctor. Her doctor is also her best friend, and so begins the personal, ethical, social and moral dilemmas faced by all the characters.

The characters are all beautifully written - especially Amelia and Willow, the two sisters so central to the case. Amelia is such a sad little girl whose massive problems are overlooked by her parents as they struggle to care for Willow and keep their family together.

Jodi Picoult has obviously done so much research whilst writing this novel, the information and facts about Willow's illness, osteogenesis imperfecta are heart-breaking, yet still riveting.

Those who have read 'My Sister's Keeper' know that Jodi Picoult doesnt always tie up her stories as the reader may want - so have the tissues at the ready.

This story is going to stay with me for a long time to come. She really is, in my opinion, one of the best modern story-tellers around today.

Handle With Care