5.0 out of 5 stars Jodi Picoult Never Fails to Deliver
This is the fourth novel by Jodi Picoult which I have read, and I've enjoyed all of them. "Plain Truth" I would place right up there with "My Sister's Keeper" which is praise indeed from me.
Published on 8 April 2006 by Mr. D. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
Published on 18 Oct 2007 by V. Glennie

5.0 out of 5 stars Jodi Picoult Never Fails to Deliver, 8 April 2006
Mr. D. Clark "londinius" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
All of the familiar Picoult ingredients are here, a lawyer with a less than perfect personal life, a sensational court case, and a family of good and decent people who are seemingly being torn apart by the secrets which they have had to hide from each other.
Having said that, I would hate you to think that this is just formula writing, when it is so much more. For Katie Fisher, the girl accused in the court case, is a member of an Amish community. I'm guessing that for the majority of readers, as it was for me, your only idea of the Amish is what you'll have seen in the Harrison Ford movie "Witness". Ellie, the brilliant but flawed defence lawyer, has to live with Katie and her family in the weeks leading up to the trial, and to come to terms with living in this community. For me this gives the novel great texture, and you are steadily drawn into this world, with all of its attractions, and all of its drawbacks too.
If you've read any of Jodi Picoult's novels before, you'll know that she is a master of manipulating your emotions and sympathies, and this novel is no different in that respect. You are simultaneously both invited to feel sympathy for Katie, and at the same time challenged to confront serious moral issues, although I won't tell you what these are in advance for fear of spoiling the plot for you.
Jodi Picoult is a great novelist. Her prose is clear - at times quite stark, at times almost poetical, but never less than riveting. She is a great storyteller. But be warned. Once you start reading this, empty your schedule for a couple of days, because you won't want to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic reading, 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
This is the first Jodi Picoult book I have read and I was hooked from the first page. I have spent many sleepless nights not wanting to put the book down as it keeps you guessing almost to the last page. Jodi Picoult knows her stuff, from the Amish life, to courtroom drama, this book is a must. It is so beautifully written I did not want the book to end. I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time. It grips you from beginning to end. Read it I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant insight into another World, 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
THis is my third JP. Having read comments from other reviewers that they can become formulaic after you've read 2 or 3 I now think that is unfair. OK, there's a lawyer in each story, but apart from that.. the stories are totally, totally different. In Plain Truth, the reader is given the opportunity to find out about The Amish World at the same time as reading a brilliantly well-written and sensitive story.

Am I the only reader who didn't enjoy My Sister's Keeper the most?! I prefered Plain Truth and Salem Falls both.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable Read, 17 May 2006
RozziD "Rose" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
This is the first novel I have read by Jodi Picoult and I have to say that, had i just read the back cover in a bookshop, i probably wouldn't have done so. A friend gave me this book and, trusting her judgement when it comes to books, I read it and i have to say I was really glad that I had.

Set in an Armish community, this novel poses not only legal quanderies for Ellie Hathaway, the defence attorney, but also gives the reader a small insight into this alternative way of life without shoving it down your throat.

I read this book in about a week, which for me is super speedy (I am not the world's fastest reader) and now can't wait to get started on another by the same author.

This is certainly worth a read - give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, excellent and thought provoking, 3 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Plain Truth (Hardcover)
Having been told that this was really a woman's book I approached reading it with some diffidence. How wrong I was! This is the first Jodi Picoult book I have read. If this is anything to go by she is a brilliant story teller. She tells the story of events both before and after the death of a new born baby in an Amish community in a way that gives the reader a real understanding of the Amish. At the same time the plot drives forward with Picoult holding the reader as skillfully as any acknowledged thriller writer. This is a quality novel, and at the same time a thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Jan 2006
Claire Morris (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
I was first introduced to Jodi Picoult with My Sister's Keeper and have now read 5 of her books with 2 more on order. Plain Truth, as with all the others is excellently written and extremely enjoyable, the authoress obviously does her homework! The only critiscm I would have of her writing is that they all follow a similar writing structure, where she sticks to her obviously extremely successful tried and tested direction! Overall though, personally I feel the quality of the writing, the characters and the research undetaken to allow her to base her work on such sensitive topics, such as the Amish Community with Plain Truth, means that I will continue to be a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Riveting, 23 Jun 2005
Siobhan (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
This is the second novel by Jodi Piccoult that I have read, the first being My Sister's Keeper. Just like that novel, I adored this one. Plain Truth is intriguing and though-provoking. If there is anything I would change, it would be that the surprise ending is a little rushed - I would have preferred to have a little time to be shocked and stunned before the book was over. Nevertheless, that didn't stop it from being an amazing read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 18 Oct 2007
V. Glennie "Scots Bookie" (Aberdeen shire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
Having read many of Picoult's book I thought this was another page turner, it immediately grabs you and encourages you to continue with the plots. The insight into the Amish life is well researched and keeps the story going. I know feel with Picoult's books, however, you can see the 'twists' coming and sometimes they are a bit too convenient. All this being said a good realaxing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 17 Jan 2005
H. L. Bittle "bigcheese69" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
I had never heard of this writer before but decided to give it ago and it was well worth it. The story was told beautifully taking you along at a good pace, you couldn't help but stay up late just to read the next chapter. The story of an Amish girl giving birth and the subsequent death of that child is moving but at the same time in the back of your mind you're just wondering, did she do it or not? The descriptions of the Amish community opens that world to you, at times you can't help but compare it to 'Witness' with Harrison Ford - that was a damn good film but this book is way better.
An excellent read

5.0 out of 5 stars Truth is BRILLIANT!, 13 Sep 2005
This review is from: Plain Truth (Paperback)
This book keeps you in suspense throughout and gives you a clear knowledgeable understanding of what life is like for other cultures. It leaves you wanting to read on and on, and leaves you feeling sorry and surprised for the characters. Although at times it can be difficult to understand with the legal interpretations, but it is very clever. An excellent book and i cant wait to read more by Jodi.

Plain Truth