5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!
Published on 8 Sep 2004 by Carol

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the abridged audiobook
Published on 19 May 2011 by DubaiReader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Review for the abridged audiobook, 19 May 2011
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
736 pages is a daunting size for a book, so it seemed like a good idea to listen to the abridged audiobook version - and it didn't leave me feeling that I wanted to go back and read the book to fill in all the detail, as I sometimes do for something I've really enjoyed. It was well read by Laura Brattan, but I did lose track of some of the many characters and it's hard to trace back to find who people are on a CD. From other reviewers, I realise that the book tends to swerve off into sub plots in the full version and I was more than happy to avoid these.

This was my second Vincenzi novel (after Sheer Abandon) and I think my main problem with her books is that I don't particularly like most of the characters. At the centre of the novel is the marriage of Tom and Octavia Flemming, which appears firm and is even the subject of magazine articles, but soon shows signs of cracking. Hardly surprising when they both work so hard that they only seem to interact when they need something from each other professionally. Then there's Octavia's father, a complete control freak who I really disliked, even before he showed his true colours; I couldn't imagine what his girlfriend, Marianne saw in him! And finally, Octavia's best friend (sorry, I can't recall her name), who plays a much more significant role towards the end of the book - I can't say more here! My favourite character would have to be Octavia's baby, Minty :)

The plot is pure soap opera, with the inevitable adultery and business disasters. Nothing earth shattering or particularly novel.
My conclusion is, that I was more than happy to have had the benefit of the abridgment and I would listen to further books in this format, but I think it is unlikely that I would read another Vincenzi novel in full.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good plot but a slapdash end, 12 Feb 2002
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
The plot and the characters are really interesting but I was very disapointed by the end. I had the feeling the author wanted to be done with her book as she clearly not allowed her characters to explain themselves and resolve their issues (especially work/family time).

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 8 Sep 2004
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
I have read a number of Penny Vincenzi novels before and have always enjoyed them, however "Almost a Crime" really surpasses the rest. From the first chapter you find yourself turning the pages almost compulsively, and it is so difficult to put down that I ended up bringing it everywhere with me, just to snatch a few minutes reading wherever I could! A truly gripping read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, again, 23 April 2000
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
Just to say how much I enjoyed this. It has a simple premise but she draws you into the characters lives and makes you care about them. I always enjoy her books, but sometimes feel let down by speedy endings. Nothing like that here. I think it's one of her best. It was like a holiday, curling up and letting myself get lost in it. A welcome change from all the short, first person 'city girl' romances I've read recently. Great stuff.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Almost A Crime (Kindle Edition)
I have read quite a few of this authors books and always really enjoyed them and have been unable to put them down. I ordered this based on the reviews but was so disappointed. It was awful! The characters were just not likeable, and the dialogues seemed very unreal. I couldn't of cared less about any of them. The plot was poor. Just really a woman discovering her husband had cheated on her with her best friend and then the mental breakdown of the friend, which was also quite unbelievable. I was bored by most of it and had to skip a lot hoping it would get better and persevered until the very dull ending! I find it hard to believe that this is by Penny Vincenzi at all. Was so happy when I finished it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 27 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Almost A Crime (Hardcover)
Well I honestly thought she had given up writing, thankfully not. Fantastic story as usual and also very hard to put down and carry on with the days chores. Only trouble is they dont go on for ever and at some point you have to end, and pray another is coming out soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Read, 23 Oct 2002
Heather Negahdar ""Haze"" (Bridgetown, Barbados) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
This story is about this perfect couple, Octavia and Tom Flemming who have a marriage made in heaven. Society looks up to this attractive and golden couple; in fact everyone does. Well heeled they both are and in prominent positions to boot.But that's until the cookie crumbles and Tom begins to have a torrid and steamy affair, putting his wife through so much embarassment, sickness and paranoia, she can hardly bear to leave the house. And look who he is having the affair with? There is betrayal amongst friends and this obviously affects the couple's professional lives interferring with their wealthy status . This book is a stunner with its variety of characters.....especially the ladies....some plain though interesting all the same, while others are attractive and rather hoity toity. The big question however is will this marriaage between this golden couple survive? Another good one from Penny Vincenzi....go for it. You love it and won't be satisfied until you've found out whodunnit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!, 1 Nov 2000
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
I found it absolutely impossible to put this book down. I am a devoute book worm, but this came everywhere with me. You just have to keep reading to find out what happens next. The characters are varied and any one would identifiy with at lest one of them. I have loaned the book to 3 other people and they felt the same, this is the most enthralling book we have read for a long while! When's the next one?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, I couldn't put it down., 30 Sep 2000
This review is from: Almost a Crime (Paperback)
Since 'Another Woman', my first taste of Penny Vincenzi, I've been smitten and I have now read all her other books. Amost a Crime is absolutely gripping. She has a gift for enabling readers to live through her characters' experiences and emotions as if they were real.
Although I can't stop reading once I start, at the cost of eating, working or socialising, I feel completely bereft when I come to the end.
I can't wait for the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Almost A Crime (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this, love Penny Vincenzi books. Have read several and intend to read very many more. Buy and enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›