on 12 November 2013
A couple of weeks ago catastrophe struck, my HDD failed, and you guessed it I'd not backed it up for a while.

I called in a PC company who said disk was dead and wouldn't spin. I could send it to a specialist recovery company and might get lucky but it would cost hundreds to get my files back , aaaah. Painful lesson learned!

I read on the Internet that putting a HDD into the freezer for a couple of hours may bring it back to life, but I'd need to attach it to another PC to read the contents. I'm normally the world's greatest sceptic with these type of things, but what the hell I'd got nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Having never seen the inside of a laptop before I did a bit more research on the internet and found this device. It was very low cost, so I thought it worth a try. The device arrived very quickly, and looked really easy to use, even I couldn't plug it in wrong.

So I placed the broken HDD into an anti-static bag and then into the freezer for 2hrs. I then placed the cold HDD into this device, and much to my amazement I could see the drive when plugged into another PC.

Unfortunately I couldn't read the individual files, but after another quick look on the HDD manufacturers site found a software tool called File Scavenger, which stated it would work. In fact the supplier lets you try it before you purchase, so you know you are not buying something which doesn't work.

So, having purchased both this cracking little device and the File Scavenger software for less than £50, I managed to recover all 30,000+ plus files, and lost nothing.

Before seeing this I hadn't got a clue how to go about this, and amazingly managed to dig myself out of the situation I'd got into by not making regular backups.

To say I was a happy man was a complete understatement,........and yes I am backing up my new HDD regularly now!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 September 2010
If you have an old laptop or spare laptop hard drive (must be SATA) then this is the perfect product for you.

The product itself is very well made, and comes with all the equipment you need to set up your portable external hard drive. After setting it up, plug it into your computer's USB port and it should be automatically recognised and ready to use as an external hard drive.

I was also very pleased with the extra equipment it came with (such as screw driver and leather case).
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 July 2014
It's a really useful piece of kit, extremely cheap, but saved my bacon when my laptop fried itself and I needed to retrieve all my files (300gb). (PC world quoted me £700 to retrieve said data!)

Since then I have it in daily use on both my office PC and my portable (Asus Transformer) which easily powers and runs the Caddy without external power, and from only one USB output. Reading the reports of others I would say that the problems that have been mentioned are mainly down to inexperience - remove all the external mounts and 'bits' from the donor drive and it will fit perfectly, and don't expect an already overloaded USB hub system to have enough capacity to power it using only one output.

A really great product, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another
on 27 April 2013
Ordered this product to recycle the hard drive from my broken Archos 160gb and it arrived the next day. Simple to insert drive and assemble. Other reviewers have commented problems on space inside the casing, but I had no difficulties even though the drive had a thin neoprene rubber gasket glued in place on one side. After removing the existing partitions and formatting, with control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disc management, (just in case you need to do this), I had a useable 150gb drive for storage.
Only comment was that unlike all my other drives, it was not recognised by my Sony Blu Ray, but was by my Samsung TV plus all other devices and computers.
Other than this I was blown away by delivery and product quality at the asking price.
on 8 February 2011
Turned up on time and great little product that works perfectly and excellent value too! Good service at a great price.
FYI, the supplied "dual USB" cable allows you to use a hard drive that draws more power from the USB port than can be provided by a single USB 2.0 connection (the extra connector only provides power, not data). 5V @ 500mA(max on USB 2.0) = 2.5 watts which is not quite enough for some 2.5" drives. As mentioned, most drives will work just fine with a single USB connection as they typically draw less than 2 watts; mine did!
on 15 December 2012
A1 product and service.1) Product arrived within a couple of days. 2)last year i purchased a simalar H.D. case from another supplier,the only difference was in the price,the DIGIFLEX case was three times cheaper.I thought that the supplied screwdriver was a nice touch as it saved hunting for a small philips screwdriver ( which will always be at the bottom of your toolbox ).I can quite saftly say that should i ever need to purchase another case in the futuer it will be a DIGIFLEX. One more thing i must say is that its nice to find a supplier who does NOT seem intent on ripping off the customer.
on 13 January 2013
Good design, great value. Had a SATA 2 drive that was not being used and slotted it straight in. I remeber when you had to mess around in the old days with master and slave drive and the little jumpers being in the right place. Not now. No configuration at all. I personally plug in both usb connectors into the laptop first, then plug the single end into the unit. Powers up, open files (could be d rive or e drive dependant on config and other attached devices). And there you it, another place to store your favorite files and photos using a hard drive that was lying un-used in a an old laptop.
on 16 April 2014
I dropped my laptop.
My hard drive became corrupted due to the shock.
All of my work was on it. ALL of it.
Laptop would not boot.
Removed hard drive from laptop, purchased this and I am able to access my files on another! Relieved is an understatement! The fact that you can basically have a 1tb memory stick makes it so so worth the money!
Comes with a nice little non slip leather pouch.

My only flaws with this product are:
The screws are VERY VERY small. Even I, a master of manual dexterity dropped one of them and finding the thing? Oh satan help me.
I think it could also use some form of heat dissipation in the design but otherwise yeah, this thing saved my (Academic) life!
on 31 December 2013
I ordered the Digiflex adapter to retrieve some data from an old laptop I had, and it's done just the trick.

Including the mini screwdriver wasn't expected, and an added bonus (helping both open the unit and the laptop!)

I didn't use the enclosure, and I just wanted to use the controller to attach the drive, and it worked perfectly.

Looking at the case, it doesn't look like it's designed to be used on a day to day travel basis (it's a bit cheap) which is fine for the price.
For the price, the product is definitely value for money - I think some people here who rated this 1 or 2 stars maybe have some unrealistic expectations ;-)
on 4 May 2011
Does what the description says. Compact case, barely bigger than the hard disk it encloses, and comes with USB cable, wallet to carry it in, extra screws and screwdriver for assembly. Just fit the elctronics PCB onto the hard disk, slide into the aluminium case, then do up the screws. No drivers are needed for most operating systems so no software is included.

My unit was slightly tight due to tolerances on the mounting of the PCB onto the plastic, but it's fine once the screws are in. The case gets warm but this is partly because I'm using a 7200 rpm hard disk that runs slightly warmer than some. The USB connection is slightly strange since it uses a USB-A connection at the hard disk end, rather than the more usual USB Mini-B, but this just means that you're restricted to using the supplied cable and is not a problem at this price.

UPDATE: had trouble with this unit after 3 months, unit does not work reliably (hard disk clicks as if not enough power getting through and is not recognised by Windows) and when it does connect it then randomly disconnects after a few minutes. The hard disk works OK in another enclosure.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...